1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

"(at least they got the institutions that used to be in the Uk, probably to help with their economy and greed )"

How do you mean that ?

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Netherlands and France, hit so badly by the austerity, at least will host institutions formerly in London that were eu-significant. Rather callous, non?

3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Newspapers made ofc a lot of noise about that.
    Prestige this and prestige that.

I had to dig in a bit for the details, and here they are:
    For Amsterdam that EMA (European Medicin Agency, a regulatory agency) is currently estimated to deliver in total 1,359 jobs from 2019-2022. Of which 900 for EMA directly and 459 from companies that go to the Amsterdam area because the EMA will be there.
    Of those 900 existing jobs of EMA, only 600 jobs are likely to move over from London to Amsterdam for various reasons. One of them is that their (high) salaries will go down with on average 24%. Oh... and we have higher (progressive) taxes for the higher incomes as well. And for the ones with children... we do not have all those elite schools in Amsterdam etc, etc.

Well... it is ofc good news for NL and Amsterdam, but nowhere close to the hits the 80,000 companies will get in NL, that export to the UK. All the jobs involved.

According to our own estimates in NL, made by our trusted CPB just before the referendum, our export to UK will go down with around 50% in a no-deal WTO + some FTA scenario. A softer Brexit would keep that damage at a 25% loss of export.
    And why should I doubt an as such internal NL report nicely broken down to our exporting sectors, as guidance for all our many small companies in those sectors ?
    Fear mongering towards our own companies ???

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  4. Kyriakos

I am sure though that you identify it as pretty callous that such agencies have to go to NL and France, instead of countries actually hit by austerity. :)

5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

For those 900 jobs and the prestige, you want it in Greece ?
    Applying that principle it should be on one of the Aegean islands !

If Switzerland would be EU member, I think Switzerland could very well be the best location.

6. Kyriakos

Actually it would be great to send it to some aegean island. Pls don't tell me you don't find it callous that it wasn't sent to Greece, Portugal or similar. Cause i think it speaks volumes as to the state of things. Reducing it to a symbol doesn't make things better at all: Greedy person refusing even the scraps to fall from the table, so that he can stuff his mug even with those, until he finally passes out.

7. Kyriakos

I am sure you know that you only happen to know of that one due to reasons. It serves no economic purpose (if it can be said to serve any purpose at all).
    Also, assuming we are talking about the same thing, that isn't a pan-euro agency. It is about the glorious region.

8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Would it not be best if such an agency is located where a lot of other people are working in similar professions with similar educations and qualifications ?
    In a place near Universities and hospitals that are well funded for all kinds of research ?

Read again my post !
    The last place in the world you want that agency is on some Aegean island.
    Just transferring the amount of money of salaries of those 900 people would be 10 times better than moving that agency to a place it will function less good.
    That agency has to function !!!!!!!

Silurian likes this.
  9. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

You didn't, I din't mean that. I meant that many others did told the public about that "danger". Including the british chancellor. Even to vote for brexit would bring about doom and budget changes immediately after... :rolleyes:

10. Kyriakos

Actually there are universities and hospitals in a number of aegean islands. Let alone cities in south euro countries.
    Anyway, i suppose we won't solve that eu mess in this thread either.

11. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The more remote it is the more expensive it is to run, higher transport costs, higher wages because of the remote location that no one would want to work at in order to attract talent and qualified people
    Who would want to work in some Aegean island in the most corrupt, least modern country in the EU ?
    Beside Greece has spit repeatably in the face of Germany so its not like it has any friends in the EU willing to help it right now.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Bankers.

tjs282 and FriendlyFire like this.
  13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

You got me
    Except I wouldnt keep my euromonies in a Greek bank, like all good Greeks, keep their euromonies are all stored in highly reputable and efficient Swiss bank.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Switzerland is also known for its health, wellbeing and rejuvenation resorts. The fresh mountain air already since the 19th century attracting people to recover. Did that not start with the British elite ?

The fresh sea air of the Aegean islands just as good, in a comfortable climate, with nice food.
    Health is a booming economy in all its aspects with our ageing population.

15. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

Cities that actually made bids to host either agency.

Hrothbern likes this.
  16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The EU has around 50 agencies and that number is likely to grow (also because the amount of members increased ?)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agencies_of_the_European_Union
    In the link the interactive map of the screenshot below, showing not all 50. There are also agencies that are more appendices to functions in Brussels.
    edit The UK had only one. Was that influenced by 40 years UK Euro-scepticism ?
    Greece BTW two... with one in Kyr's city, fitting the relatively high amount of Engineering students in Greece (snatched away from the Zjermans that have the biggest and deepest apprentice system of all EU members)

Schermopname (2812).png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Kyriakos likes this.
  17. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I know that Americans all the time confuse the staff of Mercury and Asclepius, but to see the same thing on an EU map is DEEPLY disappointing. I had expected more from them.

Hrothbern and Kyriakos like this.
  18. Kyriakos

Maybe it isn't a mistake and just refers to satanism ^_^

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

A better question is how kerukeion morphed into caduceus. Ceruceum would be a logical evolution, but caduceus?

Kyriakos likes this.
  20. Kyriakos

Caduceus sounds latin anyway. I will look it up, but there is little chance it ties to a greek term.

edit: a fast search didn't provide anything useful. Seems to have somehow morphed into caduceus, after first being latinized as cādūceum. The "a" is easier to explain, though, given in doric greek you often find "a" replacing ionian "e". So κήρυξ becomes κάρυξ, i assume.
    The term generally meant a staff used by a messenger/similar (kerux). Not sure if the staff of Hermes had (just) the general name "kerukeion", but articles note that "caduceus" was only used to refer to Hermes' staff.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Hrothbern likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.