1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Bankers.

tjs282 and FriendlyFire like this.
  2. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

You got me
    Except I wouldnt keep my euromonies in a Greek bank, like all good Greeks, keep their euromonies are all stored in highly reputable and efficient Swiss bank.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Switzerland is also known for its health, wellbeing and rejuvenation resorts. The fresh mountain air already since the 19th century attracting people to recover. Did that not start with the British elite ?

The fresh sea air of the Aegean islands just as good, in a comfortable climate, with nice food.
    Health is a booming economy in all its aspects with our ageing population.

4. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Cities that actually made bids to host either agency.

Hrothbern likes this.
  5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The EU has around 50 agencies and that number is likely to grow (also because the amount of members increased ?)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agencies_of_the_European_Union
    In the link the interactive map of the screenshot below, showing not all 50. There are also agencies that are more appendices to functions in Brussels.
    edit The UK had only one. Was that influenced by 40 years UK Euro-scepticism ?
    Greece BTW two... with one in Kyr's city, fitting the relatively high amount of Engineering students in Greece (snatched away from the Zjermans that have the biggest and deepest apprentice system of all EU members)

Schermopname (2812).png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Kyriakos likes this.
  6. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

I know that Americans all the time confuse the staff of Mercury and Asclepius, but to see the same thing on an EU map is DEEPLY disappointing. I had expected more from them.

Hrothbern and Kyriakos like this.
  7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Maybe it isn't a mistake and just refers to satanism ^_^

8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

A better question is how kerukeion morphed into caduceus. Ceruceum would be a logical evolution, but caduceus?

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

Caduceus sounds latin anyway. I will look it up, but there is little chance it ties to a greek term.

edit: a fast search didn't provide anything useful. Seems to have somehow morphed into caduceus, after first being latinized as cādūceum. The "a" is easier to explain, though, given in doric greek you often find "a" replacing ionian "e". So κήρυξ becomes κάρυξ, i assume.
    The term generally meant a staff used by a messenger/similar (kerux). Not sure if the staff of Hermes had (just) the general name "kerukeion", but articles note that "caduceus" was only used to refer to Hermes' staff.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Hrothbern likes this.
  10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Liam Fox, Britain's trade secretary, during a visit in Iraq, said the EU will end up with 50 “disruptive and resentful” British members of the European Parliament if the U.K. takes part in next month's EU election.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/liam-fox-warns-eu-will-get-disruptive-and-resentful-british-meps/

50 !
    Well.. the UK as a whole will get 73 seats.
    And if the polls so far are correct, the Farrage Brexit party and the UKIP get together 30% of the popular vote, which could be a bit more than 30% of the seats because of the rules in the UK how to convert that PV in seats.
    So... let's say 25 disruptive seats.
    Where is Liam Fox seeing those other 25 seats coming from ???
    Not from the Tories. In total they get from the polls 12 seats and among them europhile Remainers.
    So where from then ? From Labour, from the Greens, from the LibDems, from the SNP, Cymru ???

In other words: BS from mr Liam Fox as usual.

He is BTW in Iraq, that former UK mandatory protectorate, to work on a trade deal. A kind of funny one.
    The UK exports roughly GBP 350 Million per year, or 0.35 Billion, to Iraq.
    Fox is talking now with Iraq on a 1.0 Billion aid to Iraq, not because of that 2003 war, but to help companies like Siemens and GE, their UK plants, to export more.
    Yeah... that will really help the UK economy !
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/trade-secretary-announces-1-billion-to-support-trade-with-iraq

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Silurian likes this.
  11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I have the suspicion that if someone was to plot a graph of:

x axis: British government ministrial visits to foreign countries
    y:axis: increase in exports five to ten years subsequent to each minister's visit

over the last 100 years; it would, with the possible exception
    of the subsidised arnaments industry, show a negative correlation.

I.e. ordinary (rather than gvernmental) British trade
    prospers best when there were few or no ministerial visits.

Silurian likes this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Hmmm yes, in general that seems to be the best support for Traitorfish's anarchist positions: the fact that whenever the British government intervenes, they tend to to more harm than good, if they do any good, that is.

13. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

@ Silurian

Well I read it, the article is tiresome and I really don't recommend it.
    It seems the conservatives are bogged down by their own procedures.
    The only consolation was in some of the comments on it there.

I still have Phil Hammond as my prediction for next UK PM.

14. Kyriakos

Wouldn't that be pretty much a continuation of May?

Surely David David David has more support within the party?

15. Kyriakos

Grassy grove?

Silurian likes this.
  16. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

It should say ‘no fewer than sixty-five Constituency Association Chairmen’. /baron Kyr.

Of course, it's the will of the people in her sconstituency that she be their MP so she's not stepping down.

The government can act when it wants to, e.g. arresting the odd few hundred or thousand environmental activists, but that might be because a caertain Ms. Thunberg that Brexit is an excellent excuse to not discuss climate change legislation.

Also, the baron should start reading the Grauniad again:

Kyriakos likes this.
  17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I would say Hammond lacks personality and charisma but that never stopped John Major.

Hrothbern likes this.
  18. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

yes
    same thought !

And so far he did well in keeping the business and corporate community positive on the likely outcome: no panick reactions in the direct wake of the referendum. Only the inevtable inflation effects of the lower Pound, and ofc business stalling expansive investments.
    He released just enough govt money to keep the engine running of the economy.
    And although the lower investment rate is bad for increasing productivity rate, it does help lowering unemployment rate when there is no panic in population consumption and business orders on operational level. Higher GDP at identical productivity is more jobs, and newspapers singing halleluja.
    He did quite well actually.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  19. Kyriakos

Hammond imho doesn't have that much of a John Major vibe. JM at least seemed to believe in what he was saying, and did come across as decent - though one should not forget he was fully in line with US in the first gulf war, so it's not like he was some champion of actual humanism.

Btw, what is that i saw on youtube on a possible move by tory mps to oust Bercow?
    My own view on Bercow - the house speaker- has been stated a few times. He used to be a figure i liked, but i think he is not at all helping with his rather more than just entirely blatant pro-remain stance. Cause he isn't (while speaker) an mp - he is the speaker by role, and should not use his role to make policy but to allow the house to make policy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  20. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Just ask Edwina… and no, I don't mean the knitting hen from Chicken Run. ;)