1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Which one was that?

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I very much disagree with his politics, but I feel sympathetic to him on this particular point.

As an ordinary person who has voted for individuals standing for different parties and different parties
    at local, national and EU level; I see nothing wrong in Michael Heseltime saying he would do the same.

As the House of Lords is a UK level institution and part of the UK Parliament, the conservative whip
    should only be withdrawn if his support was clearly for a non conservative standing for the UK parliament.

It is out of date thinking. The UK has about 1% world population, 1% global land area and about 2% of world GDP & Co2 emission..
    Our overall unfluence is relatively trivial and we'd be better off looking after our interests than trade them for global posturing.

Quite so.

In the UK, he is, as Chancellor traditionally, bound to support the Prime Minister in matters
    not involving money, in exchange for having the PM supporting him on money matters.

However when he does so his style, expression, pace and tone are noticeably different.
    I have the suspicion that he is merely acting a customary role, i.e. going through the charade,
    himself not necessarily in favour of the May way, but disciplined in concealing his real views.

3. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

All hell is on again! :D

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...nisters-feud-in-public-over-no-deal-live-news

Hrothbern likes this.
  4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

So, Brexit MPs keep refusing to vote for Brexit legislation and then they complain that a Remain Parliament is betraying the mythical will of the people? What idiots.

5. Kyriakos

Quite strange that they are being put off by announcements about new referendums indeed. Did they expect brexit to mean brexit?

6. uppi

uppi Warlord

7. Kyriakos

I am not seeing what May thinks she is achieving here. Even assuming she is the only person who believes her deal will get through, why bother? She already is a failed pm and has been since the last general election. Time for her to just leave.

8. Arakhor

What part of the PM's tenure leads you to assume that that is ever going to happen?

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

I am just surprised by how stubborn she is, and wonder if by now it is just the effect of shock at her own incredible botching of the situation.

10. Arakhor

Well, she started off with a turd sandwich, no mistake, but somehow managed to lace it with strychnine, set it on fire and then sit on it, whilst persistently blaming the least oppositional Opposition in a long time.

Old Hippy, Samson and Silurian like this.
  11. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

But if May believed in leaving the UK wouldn't be caught in this situation still, would it? :lol:

Brexit is the issue of UK politics, and people still keep underestimating its power. PM Boris I thought it would be, and others didn't believe. Now they're starting to believe, but it's looking to me as if it'll be PM Farage. Because those who are for brexit will get so pissed they'll do whatever it takes to have it. And those who are against will remain divided on a number of ways they can be against it, and a number of parties.

The only way out was and is to leave without any deal, as the EU is unwilling to strike an acceptable one. And then negotiate, and let politics in the UK be about how to negotiate. This has been obvious for a year now.

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. Kyriakos

Yes, it was my carefully crafted double meaning ^_^

13. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I keep forgetting how the French call a duck, and your posts immediately remind me of it.

@Broken_Erika the post I quoted requires taunting.
    Scotland '14.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Driving home I thought about Theresa May and what people call Brexit.

The image that came to my mind was of someone trying to toss a coin aiming to have it land on its edge.

She is unlikely to do it, if she did it would be coincidence, it would likely roll away
    in an unpredictable direction, it would not be stable and it would inevitably fall over.

And one is left wondering why she is trying to do it.

15. Arakhor

And even if she managed to land it on its edge, you'd still have various MPs complaining that it didn't land on specifically the edge that they demand.

tjs282 and Silurian like this.
  16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The 50 pence coin has 7 edges.

And when they all struggle to roll the dice until on their favored edge, it will fall anyway... heads or tails.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

She is inviting Tory MPs that do not agree with her to hop of to another party........
    Let only the true and faithful "one nation" Tories remain.

meanwhile the cabinet is starting to implode:

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...wal-agreement-bill-could-be-shelved-live-news

ohhh
    and apparently there is a poll that forecasts the Tories at 7% for the EU elections.
    But no source mentioned.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  18. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

yes
    May was supposed to offer the Parliament to have a vote on a referendum
    at least that is what these ministers say

It was apparently not the intention of these ministers to honor the result of that vote
    and that's where May deviated
    And now they are furious at May.

EDIT
    ahhh
    I see in that article you link that 7% back of the Tories.
    It is even a YouGov poll:
    YouGov had the Tories fifth on seven per cent, Labour third behind the Lib Dems on 13 and Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party ahead on 38.

Don't panic

20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

yes
    And that is exactly the card she plays against the extended Rees-Mogg club

My way
    And me the dirty hands

or your way
    and you the dirty hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.