1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Thank you for your reminder.

I was enjoying listening to Fleetwood Mac, and, foolish me, switched the TV on for ten minutes.

It comes across as a transporter malfunction hybrid between a meeting of
    alcoholics anonymous and a meeting of prospective vicars rehearsing their sermons.

Sofista and Hrothbern like this.
  2. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

Haha, Boris didn't even show up.

3. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

As someone who lived the entirety of their life under Boris's empire in London, i have this to say:

Boris is an incompetent and insufferable liar who takes credit for others peoples success whilst diminishing his own failures. As evidence i present the achievements of Ken Livingstone as mayor:

• Introduced Oyster
    • Introduced congestion charging
    • Built 2 new underground lines
    • Introduced bikes (no they are not Boris bikes - they are Kens bikes)
    • Re built London buses (admittedly with a few problems)
    Compare that to Boris:

• Banned booze on all TFL networks, which is largely ignored by commuters - including Diane Abbot who fell foul of said laws when caught drinking a mojito on a TFL train
    • Commissioned the garden bridge - which cost £53 million - isnt going to be built - and amounts to nothing more than a vanity project by the mayor (Boris)
    • Bought 2 water cannons from the Germans after the London riots - which were illegal under UK law to use on British streets, and sold at a £300,000 loss
    And thats it! In summary, Boris is utterly useless and the fact people find him appealing i find, quite frankly, nauseating.

Kyriakos and AmazonQueen like this.
  4. Ironsided

Seems you are still arguing under the assumption that people make political choices based on calm, rational and deliberate thought.

Boris is unfortunately both funny and clever. Not showing up was a street smart move. The other chumps were all prepared for BloJo to be the one to beat in the debate. Now they could only attack a guy not there to defend himself (unpopular) or debate each other instead. Boris just has to show up in the next debate on the beeb and excuse himself (very humane) with the other contenders already locked horns from the first round. Perfect move from a candidate with a non-exsistent agenda and only in it for ****s´n´giggles.

5. sherbz

sherbz Chieftain

This is unfortunately true - (most) people do not make political choices based upon rational thought, they make it based upon emotion. However, that does not stop me from climbing to the top of my soap box on social media and challenging peoples views about this or that issue. I have numerous conversations with Brexit supporting friends from back where i grew up (Wiltshire). A number of them i will never convince. But i do know that there are a number of silent lurkers who read the arguments i have with these Brexit supporting associates. And its them im trying to convince. The ones who read but dont engage. I suppose you could call them the fence sitters :smug:

Hrothbern likes this.
  6. Ironsided

Making political choices on emotions is as good as making them solely on rational I guess - a good mix is better. I’m just not hopeful for much rational at all when this particular herd of dinosaurs is electing the next meteor. Also, I have to admit I hope its Boris. At least he has humour value.

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

I've sort of lost the thread on brexit. Is there a tl;dr of recent events?

8. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

May stepped down as Tory leader ten days ago, the Tories are having a leadership election and I suppose whoever wins that will become the next PM. Polling data shows the Brexit party as the largest party* if a general election were to take place today, with the Lib Dems coming in second apparently due to their strong Remain stance. Neither Labour nor the Tories can agree on a consistent Brexit position and they are apparently suffering for it.

*note that as far as I can see this has vindicated @innonimatu's predictions.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Tldr: BonoJo set to become pm, again unelected like May.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

The Tory members vote on the final two candidates is planned to be ready July 22.

If that procedure is honored, we face 5 weeks burning time nonsense, with Boris getting the job anyway.

Hobbsyoyo, the last poll from YouGov was:

Schermopname (3074).png

With FPTP and 4 parties competing around the 20% the amount of seats is going in all directions.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. really

really Chieftain

Essentially nothing has changed in the three years since the vote. The Tories and Labour are still arguing between themselves about things that are already agreed with the EU.
    Parliament hasn't approved that plan either.
    Polls are all over the place but that hasn't translated into seats in any way.

Plus ça change...

Hrothbern likes this.
  12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Apparently the bookers have now put Rory Stewart as 2nd favourite after Boris. Not sure what that's based on. OK, he did well in the C4 debate apparently and went down well with the audience, but with an electorate of Tory MPs and then Tory party members I don't think he has a chance.

13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

https://time.com/5602103/cold-war-steve-time-cover-brexit/
    The Time of last week:

Schermopname (3075).png

Perhaps because he is the only one not openly eager to get a job in Johnson's Cabinet ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

While the United Kingdom does not have a direct presidential election like
    the Republic of France or, very nearly that like, the United States of America.

To become Prime Minister, it looks like Boris Johnson will need five election like successesl

(1) Election as an MP to the UK House of Commons (achieved)
    (2) Selection by conservative party MPs for the shortlist of 2
    (3) Selection by conservative party members from that short list of two.
    (4) Acceptance by Conservative Party MPs in the UK Parliament
    (5) Acceptance by the Democratic Unionist Party,

So far, he has only achieved (1) which may be lost if there is a general election.

Both his elections for London Mayor were against Ken Livingstone who
    having been mayor for 8 years was seen by many as past his sell date.

So, it is certainly not a slam-dunk for the Boris to be the PM.

15. Kyriakos

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

The young Michael Caine is a symbol of Englishness I'd guess.
    I'm more puzzled by why Merkel is on the bus.

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Caine is an outspoken Brexiteer living outside the UK with lots of money: ‘I’d rather be a poor master of my fate than having someone I don’t know making me rich by running it’

The other two you mention ???

Kyriakos likes this.
  18. Kyriakos

The other two are the one to the right of the current mayor of London (is he that Rolling Stones frontman?), and the guy between Merkel and Cleese.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I believe they may be Phil Mitchell and Roger Daltrey. Not that I recognised either of them in the picture but according to the artist they are in it, as is Cilla Black somewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48547558

Kyriakos likes this.
  20. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

yes :)

I have no idea who they are !
    There is also a girl ? behind the Royal driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.