1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hrothbern, Mar 22, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I thought it meant left-exit.

2. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

So BloJo was sacked from a British newspaper for being dishonest, which is some feat. He called Muslim women “letterboxes”, Africans “water-melon smiles” and the Scottish not fit to vote. This is a wonderful escalation of “honesty” for anyone who want to see the Tory party scarred for life or dead.

It’s also worth noting for those who may not know - the Tories are not part of the conservative group EPP in the European Parliament but in the far right racist group with among others the Sweden Democrats who for example are of the oppinion that Swedish Jews, the Sami (indigenous and inhabiting lands before anyone) or Romani Swedes are not Swedish.

Lexicus and Kyriakos like this.
  3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not seeing how BoJo can even be a candidate. Of course May resurrected him - BoJo was dead after the brexit referendum, and she gave him a job again, and not just any job but foreign minister.

Hrothbern and Ironsided like this.
  4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Good point !
    That legitimated Boris again.
    May kept her Brexit enemies close... for whatever reason.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Britain's most-unelectable non-MP claiming that he could help win the Tories a massive majority is hardly news (but only if Johnson supports a no-deal), whether the Telegraph is reporting it or not. What's he going to do? Only stand candidates in areas without a sitting Tory MP? If there's one thing we've learnt over the last year, it's that the Tories would rather keep their seats than have Brexit, as shown by the repeated votes of confidence in a prime minister that they were also trying to tear down.

One suggestion I read was that he wouldn't stand candidates only in seats where MPs voted against the Withdrawal deal. That's a lot of Tories who'd see their seats potentially under threat from Farage's crew and openly trying to steal a party's seats doesn't seem like it would be good business for pretending to go into power with them.

6. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think Farage just wants to keep himself in the news and keep the Tories worried.
    With the leadership election going on he hasn't been getting much attention lately.

7. uppi

uppi Warlord

And now ... he is out of the race.

8. Arakhor

The Establishment has failed us again! Damn you, The Establishment!

Cheetah and AmazonQueen like this.
  9. Kyriakos

Everyone in the tory party is the establishment :p

Dachs and AmazonQueen like this.
  10. Arakhor

Well, almost everyone, but yes, absolutely.

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I didn't think that Rory Stewart's Citizens Assemblies ideas would go down well with the conservatives.

12. Kyriakos

So, when will Sajid eff off?

13. Arakhor

Presumably tomorrow, with the last two votes.

14. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

Good thing I don't actually make bets :D
    I do guess that he'll stick around to be available when a new leader is of use.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

So you are claiming that people should have just allowed for a hard no-deal Brexit to happen instantly and that somehow would have stopped the ambitions of the Tories?
    Yes!

16. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Chieftain

Final MP voting today:

10 a.m.-Midday: MPs vote in fourth ballot
    1 p.m.: Fourth round result – three candidates left
    3.30-5.30 p.m.: MPs vote in fifth ballot
    6 p.m.: Fifth round result – two candidates left

Anyone here agree with that great sage Noel Gallagher? :)
    (I say this rather smugly of course, as I voted Remain (cos I’m chicken) but am very much a Brexiteer at heart.)

Seriously though, he actually has a point…

From the Scum:
    People who want a second vote on Brexit should go and live in North Korea, he said. Meaning that they had no time for democracy.

Gallagher — like almost every bloody pop musician — backed Remain in the referendum. But he said: “There’s only one ****ing thing worse than a fool who voted for Brexit. That’s the rise of the ***** trying to get the vote overturned.”

His message, then, to the relentlessly moaning Remainers who have tried every trick in the book to get that democratic decision overturned is: Don’t look back in anger — get on with your lives and let Brexit happen.

NB I put a couple of extra asterisks in so don’t click here if you are easily offended

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9333514/noel-gallagher-brexit-liberal-elite/

17. Arakhor

Well, it's all very well a ridiculously wealthy person telling us to get on with our lives - he has the money to weather any shocks to the economy and will likely grow more wealthy under Tory policies.

With the increasing polarisation of the Tory party and the growing insistence on No Deal as the only acceptable outcome (and screw the 99%, let alone the 48%), things are only going to get worse. Of course, we'd have left three months ago if the ERG had deigned to vote for May's deal, but compromise is a terrible word these days and, with the press almost entirely in lock-step with the No-Dealers, it's entirely the fault of the "liberal elite".

Now, I don't agree that we should simply rerun the 2016 referendum, because that won't solve anything, but putting the terms of our eventual Brexit deal to the people seems entirely equitable. Leavers keep banging on about democracy and The Will of the People (TM), so they should love that idea, right?

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I don't have a problem with the government delivering a 599 hard copy print
    out of the so called Withdrawal Agreement to every UK voter with a form at the
    back for the voter to personally complete confirming with their signature that:

(a) they have

(i) read the entire document and
    (ii) accept it

OR

(b) they do not accept it.

19. Arakhor

You do realise what people do when faced with long-winded EULAs, right? I doubt you'll be able to find anyone who has ever read an EULA all the way through.

Besides, a 600-page hard-copy to every voter? Weren't you one of the ones railing against the Government using public money to inform voters about the EU back before the referendum?

20. Lillefix

Lillefix I'm serious. You can.

And understood it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.