Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if given the chance, would you give up a six-week break to spend it in an intensive round of interviews for your current job?

No-one messes with summer vacation!:mad:

Well, if given the chance, would you give up a six-week break to spend it in an intensive round of interviews for your current job?

Bloody white collars
No sense of duty
The first 10 years of my life in a (decent) job I was doing big maintenance every X-mass Year end period

I think I understated my comparison. Would you also have volunteered to do said maintenance if it came with the promise that you would be fired if you weren't the best worker?

I think I understated my comparison. Would you also have volunteered to do said maintenance if it came with the promise that you would be fired if you weren't the best worker?

That scandal & accountability culture
That hire & fire culture

How much room is left there to do what is good for the common good ?

To your example question:
Agree.... I would not have volunteered

Why is this summer break of Parliament so holy ?

Is that a tradition based on decades of doing so ?
It's part of the obvious mediævalness of the system. If you consider that several centuries ago the lords and emrchants had to go home and see to the harvests and anyway most people just ruled themselves, but nowadays the state is all-pervasive (and let us not forget, for example, EU agricultural subsidies and imported seasonal labourers and so on, which means the EU is essential to the current British economy) yet it's more important to subsidise the Lords' and Commons' bars than to see about sorting this mess out.

btw kudos to the FSB for actually putting a Boris in charge of the UK.

When exactly is he going to do that? He will likely be in power come Mon, 22nd July, MPs retire for summer three days later and don't return until Tues, 3rd Sept. Even assuming that Parliament votes to dissolve itself at that point (which is rather uncertain), that would leave a minimum election date of 15th Oct and six weeks of no Parliamentary activity, just a fortnight before the Halloween deadline. Do you really think that is going to fly in the Commons?

Great, so he'll be again in the position May was: a PM with a Parliament that pretends to challenge him but refuses to do the one thing it could do to stop him.
More circus in October!

What makes you think that a snap general election would make things better? Even assuming such an election happened, the Tories lost and Labour (perhaps in coalition) came to power, that would leave with them with just two weeks left before 31st Oct with nothing to show for all the delays.

What makes you think that a snap general election would make things better? Even assuming such an election happened, the Tories lost and Labour (perhaps in coalition) came to power, that would leave with them with just two weeks left before 31st Oct with nothing to show for all the delays.

If Boris would win the elections he can secure the no-deal exit by Oct 31.
Job done.
Move on from there.

If a Labour coalition would win, and would sign the Withdrawal deal with a something Customs Union in the future draft (the EU has that already written), that just two weeks is no issue.
The only issue I see in the Corbyn scenario is that his coalition partners will demand that confirmatory refendum, and that means that signing that Withdrawal deal happens under the condition that a confirmatory refendum choosing Remain, would overrule the Withdrawal document. But I guess that clause will not be an issue for the EU.

Last edited:
I don't think a snap election will happen. We'll have more circus to watch.

But having one would have been for the better. The same argument (time and dates) you make now has been made to reject one before the past two dates. If one had been held then, perhaps thins would be clearer now? What was gained by refusing to hold one then?

If a Labour coalition would win, and would sign the Withdrawal deal with a something Customs Union in the future draft (the EU has that already written), that just two weeks is no issue.

That too does not seem possible. The WA is deader that that parrot.

You may recall that Corbyn did call for a vote of no confidence in May's government, but it was voted down by the same Tories who were manically trying to tear her down. I don't see how anything would change, even if Corbyn does the same thing again on the day that Johnson is elected.

With the Fixed Terms Act, either the sitting PM has to ask Parliament to vote on prematurely dissolving itself or there needs to be a successful vote of no confidence, followed by two weeks of no government etc. before a general election happens. If Johnson really is going to try to renegotiate (or even pretend to do so), he can't possibly leave himself with just two weeks in which to do it.

I don't think a snap election will happen. We'll have more circus to watch.

But having one would have been for the better. The same argument (time and dates) you make now has been made to reject one before the past two dates. If one had been held then, perhaps thins would be clearer now? What was gained by refusing to hold one then?

That too does not seem possible. The WA is deader that that parrot.

I think everything boils down to how well Boris can be launched towards electional support (by the ERG+.club)
And on the background how well the divide in Labour can be increased (by the ERG+ club).

I wrote a while back a post on the timelines of damage... that the damage on the Tories was a frontloader and on Labour a backloader. The asymmetrical damages of the timeline up to Oct 31.

If Boris can use the time until October as a voter increase crescendo (by whatever smoke with or without EU contacts)... and ofc helped very much by some newsmedia... up to end July in continuous internal Tory campaigning mode..
Labour comes under huge pressure from panicking factions to make choices on its manifesto for possible elections.

At least this is the circus I see happening the coming months.

With the Fixed Terms Act, either the sitting PM has to ask Parliament to vote on prematurely dissolving itself

yes
so if Boris does ask.... can Corbyn really refuse ?

This could generate a lot of smoke the coming months

Tory leadership candidate Johnson said this week that tariffs would not necessarily have to be paid if the UK left the EU without a deal because the UK could rely on article 24 of the general agreement on tariffs and trade (Gatt).
Some Brexit supporters have claimed that the Gatt, a treaty under the auspices of the World Trade Organization (WTO), would allow a “standstill” in which tariffs are avoided, even in the absence of any agreement on trade
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ismisses-boris-johnson-trade-claim-on-no-deal

Strong and Stable :lol:

Who knew that when Cameron warned us about a coalition of chaos, he was actually referring to his own party? :crazyeye:

Nice to see those colors of the flag slowly fading away.

I cant help it... :nono:

But would it not be fitting to have the pattern of the flag also fading towards the English flag ?

And still... I think it is all together a sad sad story of people... somehow caught up in something

Who knew that when Cameron warned us about a coalition of chaos, he was actually referring to his own party? :crazyeye:
Why do you think he bailed when he did? He knew it was going to be a total cluster****.

Maybe he should have thought of that before he called (or even promised) that idiotic referendum.

Should have? The system selects for imbeciles who never think of such things. It's the same as when Blair kept insisting ‘but he's a bad guy, isn't he?’ when he was told that Saddam Hussein did not have any WMDs prior to the invasion. First find a thing to defend, then defend it, and only worry about whether it was right or not in your memoirs.

Interesting opinion poll given in the Guardian/Observer today.
Hidden away a bit, it seems. I wonder why.

<snip>
When given a binary option about next steps they would like to see on Brexit, almost half (48%) of UK adults now think the UK should leave the European Union with “no deal” on October 31st if the House of Commons cannot agree on a deal by then. Only 40% want to delay Brexit and hold a public vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ithful-trust-johnson-more-than-hunt-says-poll

I make that 55-45, excluding don’t knows

Following links from that story, I came across connections to Steven Bannon and further Russian cyber-meddling. I've never really had a problem finding anything in the Guardian, as their "related stories" and "most popular" links generally provide more than I care to read about a given topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom