1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VII - Revenge of the Brexiteers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jul 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Was it really necessary to break up half his post into dozen-word chunks and quote them individually?

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The practical alternative is to summarise his post's arguments in my own words which I
    prefer not to do as it is very easy to make a mistake in the text and inadvertently misquote him,
    and I know that I have in the past criticised other contributors to this thread for doing exactly that.

3. Arakhor

I've just noticed that we've filled 2000 posts in just under three months. We'll soon have an appropriate time to start the next incarnation whatever happens this week.

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Brexit aeternus et umquam?

5. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Stop being such a cry-baby.
    If this type of "it's just not cricket" behaviour has occurred before, then why were Parliamentary Standing Orders and Procedures not amended to prevent repetitions?
    If it is the first time that they have been abused so egregiously, then the relevant Orders and Procedures should be amended or introduced ASAP.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Misce, fiat mistura.

7. Arakhor

Sorry, I'm being a cry-baby? Have you got your wires crossed?

8. Kyriakos

Volenti non fit iniuria.

Ferocitus likes this.
  9. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

No wires crossed. You're being a cry-baby because Boris is being childish and threatening to take his ball home.
    So, do you know whether there have been similar attempts to force important Bills through the HoC before and, if so, whether anybody did anything to prevent repetitions if that behaviour was viewed as verging on an abuse of procedure?

10. Arakhor

I have no idea, but presumably that would take legislation to change and if it's the Govt doing it...

Besides, if you're calling me a cry-baby for calling his childish antics pathetic, I do hope you never comment on politics for fear of falling foul of your own lofty standard.

11. Kyriakos

Brexit is boring and never-ending :/

Manfred Belheim likes this.
  12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

My lofty standard is that it's a surreal farce. I'll try not to fall off my fish like a giraffe on fire.

13. Kyriakos

A giraffe on fire, on the run in its impossible quest to put out the fire and stop the horrible pain, could light up a vast area...

14. uppi

uppi Deity

The Brexit bills explicitly states that the safeguards against ramming through an international treaty without time to scrutinize it do not apply to the bill. Because otherwise, it would violate those safeguards.

For some undiscernable reason, he has again and again refused to consider an extension beyond the end of October. And now he has to ram the bill through for no other reason but to save face.

Ferocitus likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

And he is saying he will "push" for a general election. As if he will be able to get 2/3rds of parliament to vote for anything he wants, just after he has failed to get 1/2 of parliament to vote for what he really wants.

16. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

There's another move or two available to him, e.g. a no-confidence motion in himself. That's down to a simple majority, not 2/3rds.
    If Labour (or some coalition) can't form government in 14 days, then there could be an immediate general election. (But that would be > 31 October.)
    I hope the unelected Bishops, peers, and Druids in the HoL have something up their sleeves to make it even worse. :)

17. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

MPs have voted to reject the government's timetable for the remaining stages of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill that they have just backed.

But Boris won a vote in the HoC and his Dad will stick that result on the fridge door.

18. really

really Deity

DUP would have swung it for him.

19. Arakhor

Indeed, yes.

There was a 30-vote majority to accept the second reading, but a 14 vote loss to ram it through the House in just three days, so of course Johnson has now declined to push the motion any further, citing the need for a quick deal. Clearly, in his mind, when you need to get something done quickly, you loudly announce you're not going to do it any more.

really likes this.
  20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

"As of now my understanding is that the leader of the house [Jacob Rees-Mogg] intends to make a business statement which sets out government intentions for the coming days," Speaker John Bercow tells MPs.

In case anyone has forgotten who Rees-Mogg is...
    moggsy.png

Lexicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.