1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VII - Revenge of the Brexiteers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Jul 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Translated into Latin, that would make a very fine motto.
    Perhaps it could be a header for all correspondence between the PM and the EU?
    I like: Honi soit qui mal y pense, but that sounds more like what Boris and his mistress would have tattooed below their navels.

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Thank you for posting that video.

Nigel sums it up very well.

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

And what's the gist of that video?

4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

[
    The Boris deal is worse than No Deal but better than staying in the EU.

5. Arakhor

Who'd have thought that Farage would say that? In other news, the sky is blue and Queen Anne is dead.

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

For Farage and the ERG Brexiteers the risk of Remain (as they see that) from a confirmative referendum on some deal is still there.

7. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I personally likely won't be affected if UK leaves with no deal, but I suppose the NHS will collapse, given you just don't have enough nationals working in nurse jobs, and afaik also not enough as high quality doctors either*
    Got to admit, though, I am all for it cause it will make some northern euros feel at least some austerity (which I am sure is horrible when it is not done massively to others).

*unless you hand out double citizenship to thousands of people - ie have a Labor government.

8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

We've been feeling at least some austerity since 2010 in case you hadn't noticed.
    The difference being that we won't be able to blame anyone else for this (although I'm sure the Brexiteers will try to).

9. Kyriakos

I was mostly thinking of the kleptodutch, tbh. (and other germanics)

10. Arakhor

The first rule of politics - someone else is always to blame. Even if you are caught with a smoking gun with your red hands firmly in the biscuit jar, it's still someone else's fault.

11. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I have watched that video twice. Your summary is misleading.

Nigel Farage said that the "Boris deal" is a "Brexit in name only" a "treaty", and worse than a clean No Deal.

However Nigel Farage did NOT say that "The Boris deal" is "better than staying in the EU".

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Yes, you are right, so basically nobody should support the Boris deal.

EnglishEdward likes this.
  13. uppi

uppi Deity

It's about time we renamed the No True Scotsman fallacy to the No True Brexit fallacy.

Yeekim, Samson, Hrothbern and 2 others like this.
  14. Arakhor

Of course. There's no such thing as a "clean Brexit" and there never was. Further, this terrible deal still won't "get Brexit done", not that Johnson has ever been more than passingly acquainted with the truth.

The Guardian did a piece on the Labour MP Caroline Flint's South Yorkshire constituency, which had a very high Leave percentage in 2016. Many were apparently very happy that she's voting for Johnson's deal, but one person interviewed was extremely angry about the "deal", saying that Leavers were promised millions a week for the NHS and no border down the Irish Sea, yet here we were.

15. uppi

uppi Deity

Leaving aside that Brexit is a bad idea for the UK in any case, I do not get why you regard this deal as terrible. The contents of the deal are the minimum requirements which the EU would have wanted of any deal. So you might as well agree to it to be able to focus on the future relations. This is a much more worthwhile topic to bicker about, because the UK actually has multiple options for these.

Short of revoking Article 50 (for which there does not seem to be a political majority), the best option of the UK is to agree to this as soon as possible.

16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

May's deal was better because the commitments to workers rights and environmental protections would've been legally binding. Now they've been shunted over to the political declaration so we would have to trust a future government to keep to them. Trust Johnson or Farage? No thanks.

17. uppi

uppi Deity

This is a misinterpretation of May's deal. The protection of workers rights and environmental protections were only part of the backstop. A backstop which the EU would have been extremely happy to ditch as soon as an agreement about the status of Northern Ireland was in place (like the one Johnson just did, without any of those protections). So the legally binding part would have been based on trust in all future governments to never abandon the Northern Irish Unionists. With Johnson, we do not even have to speculate how misplaced that trust would have been.

18. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

So therefore oppose Boris, have fresh election, hope it produces a government with a clear mandate.
    Nothing you're saying suggests to me its good to do something which Boris will present as a victory.

19. Kyriakos

After all, the recession in Germany could use the 60-odd billion paid by the UK as divorce bill, "as soon as possible".

Oh wait, I forget, we are a union.

20. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

how do those sixty billion affect Germany more than anyone else in the EU? Given the monetary flows within the EU Germany will actually benefit less from that than lets say the southern and south eastern EU countries. Now obviously freeing some Greek governmental money to spend on imports from Germany would in a roundabout way benefit the German economy - but frankly even given your proclivity for making pretty much anything about Germany this is seriously weak stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.