Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjs282

Stone \ Cold / Fish
Now is the winter of our new vote count...

I hope many young people will registrate in time (Nov 26).

It is more their future than that of oldies like me.

Farage's goons are now promising to scrap HS2, redirect half of foreign aid to internal spending and of course to withhold the £39 billion from Brussels. This is starting to sound awfully familiar...

It's a planned network that is about as delayed and over-budget as Brexit is.

So Farage says he will run candidates against the tories if BoJo does not Ditch his Brexit deal and go into alliance with him. As I said in the last thread, we may be saved from a far right hard brexit by Farage.

On the other side there is some talk of a pact between Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru to not stand against each other.

So Farage says he will run candidates against the tories if BoJo does not Ditch his Brexit deal and go into alliance with him. As I said in the last thread, we may be saved from a far right hard brexit by Farage.

On the other side there is some talk of a pact between Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru to not stand against each other.

The Tories and Labour seem to stick to the FPTP benefits, come what may...

Minority parties always do worse under FPTP, but potentially having nasty parties in Parliament would be the cost of PR.

(Obvious joke ahoy: but the Tories are currently in power...)

So there's going to be an election right? What happens when neither side gains enough votes to settle the issue? Why don't they have another referendum?

So there's going to be an election right? What happens when neither side gains enough votes to settle the issue? Why don't they have another referendum?
Yes, there will be another election. If the likely happens and it is another hung parliament then it depends on the numbers. If the Lib Dems + Labour have >50% then a lib lab alliance with a referendum is a likely outcome. If the numbers remain much the same then nothing much changes.

I think the primary reason we do not have another referendum is 'cos the BoJo thinks his deal would not pass, and he would probably be destroyed by the leavers in his party if he had to give up on Brexit altogether.

The election will be held on December 12. I believe there will be another referendum if Labour gets a majority, but I don't expect that to happen. I think the Lib Dems and maybe Greens are campaigning on just revoking Article 50 instead of having another referendum. Labour wants to renegotiate a deal and subject that deal to a second referendum IIRC.

You think many libdems would be elected without FPTP then? :)
If anything, FPTP will hinder Farage-partei more.

I get the impression that the LibDems are more a new "home" for moderate Tories than for Labour.

But however few voters can be won with alliances for certain seats, it can be crucial to just win that seat. The Greens, Cymru, LibDems try to pick up that possibility where it makes sense.

I think the Tories and Labour hope to restore the "good old times" where a voter has only the choice out of two and all other shades of poltical convictions are internal party dynamics.

McDonnel stated on a coalition cabinet that Labour did not intend any of that but would prefer a minority cabinet.
Labour would simply put forward its own policies and if that would not get support... it would hold new elections.
That's what he did say
New elections... new elections... new elections...

Last edited:

We probably end up going around again. As it is, Johnson basically strong-armed the Queen into giving a early election speech for the Govt at the State Opening of Parliament just two weeks ago and, whilst it was Tory backbenchers who stopped us from leaving the EU in March, this time it's none other than Johnson himself stopping us, as Parliament rejected his paltry three days of deliberation on the WA Bill, so he rejected Labour's offer of a longer deliberation period and then "paused" the bill altogether.

We probably end up going around again. As it is, Johnson basically strong-armed the Queen into giving a early election speech for the Govt at the State Opening of Parliament just two weeks ago and, whilst it was Tory backbenchers who stopped us from leaving the EU in March, this time it's none other than Johnson himself stopping us, as Parliament rejected his paltry three days of deliberation on the WA Bill, rejected Labour's offer of a longer deliberation period and then "paused" the bill altogether.

And whose fault is it exactly that parliament rejected Corbyn's offer to have a logical timeframe to examine this bill?
Was it, perhaps, of the party which shall not be named but stands for all things opportunistic?

Parliament didn't reject Corbyn's offer, as it wasn't put to a vote. Johnson did.

They took all of zero days to start spending taxpayer money on Tory election adverts:
The government has been accused of using public funds to target voters in key general election constituencies with Facebook ads.
The ads say: "the Government is investing up to £25m" in the town where the message appears on Facebook feeds.
They went live on Tuesday - the same day Boris Johnson secured support for an early general election.
Several of the towns, such as Northampton, Milton Keynes and Mansfield, are home to constituencies that will be key battlegrounds in the general election, with majorities of less than 2,000.
The ads, paid for by taxpayers, are not marked as being about "social issues, elections or politics". This is the voluntary system that Facebook has put in place to help with the transparency of social and political ads on its platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom