1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

This is amazing historical revisionism, and just shows far down the Brexit hole you've sunk yourself. Once again, your hatred for the EU doesn't mean you need to align yourself ideologically with our most incompetent and xenophobic politicians :)

For the record, "Remainers" were very keen to know what preparations - if any - were to be made for any leaving of the EU. The "Leavers" were very bad at providing any (not necessarily the man on the street, but the actual politicians governing the country. "Leavers" ran one-and-a-half to two entire parties).

2. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

The Leavers shot each other’s proposals down. That’s more or less why the procedure dragged on for five hellish years. And they have nothing to show for this aside from some hastily drawn capitulation to EU for the most part. Which is admittedly the only way it could’ve gone.

the current head of Labour is the former head of crown prosecution services. Corbyn literally seems incapable of preventing himself from handing box full of knives to his political enemies. I’m not expecting or hoping for a miracle.

3. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I understand yo think fighting brexit was the right thing to do. But as it turned out it failed, and only caused a longer period of uncertainly and incited the believe that the thing might continue to be postponed.

Companies that had prepared for the first date, at some expense (stiockpiling, stopping work, planning vacations) wasted some of that preparatory work, then prepared for a second date that was again postponed... you can blame all parties for keeping the mess going, looking for scoring what they believed were "political points" rather than being honest. That does not absolve the remainder campaigns after the referendum. Starmer within Labour was particularly hypocritical. He and Boris area really a match.

4. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Meh, I don’t particularly have an opinion on whether fighting brexit is the better option. In fact, I made my opinion clear a few years ago I wanted for them to leave the Union after the referendum.

However I do think that Brexit’s execution has been far more disastrous than I ever thought it would be, and that faults not with the remainers, who were largely politically irrelevant. Literally everyone saw the economic crisis coming, and you are blaming the people who kept pointing out the looming crisis for the crisis rather than the people who actually held power which is rather nonsensical in my opinion.

Gorbles likes this.
  5. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The article is very interesting, but I disagree with two of its assumptions.

It seems to indicate that the UK would have voted to join the EEC if it
    had been put to the UK in a referendum before joining. However putting
    it to a referendum would have resulted in more discussion of the long
    term objectives of political integration, and IMO likely have been rejected.
    I doubt UK voters would have viewed it more favourably than Norwegian voters.

It says that the UK subsequently had periods of higher growth than other members,
    but such growth was no more than transient reflecting the upswings of financial
    service capitalism, and did not reflect the real economy in which most people live.

6. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I can't comment on those times, but Perry Anderson lived through them and should know what had been going on. Perhaps it would have been refused, but do not underestimate what was then an almost united establishment seeking a "new empire" to replace the one being then closed down. My feeling, only from reading other pieces from the time period, is that the british were fed up with the commonwealth after a number of colonial wars and really only made a half-heartened attempt to retain influence within it. The French for a counter-excample were much more effective in keeping most of their former colonies under submission. So I'm inclined to believe Anderson's assessment that there was a shift towards seeking a future in Europe then.

Where I can say from my own observations that he makes a devastating and clear-sighted accounting in three paragraphs of the tragicomedy of remainder's last attempts, is here. Probably never before in the modern history of the UK had politics been conducted so ineptly by so many people - including voters. Because, I say, those activists really deserved the kind of leaders they have, starting with Boris: like Boris they worry more about appearances than substance! Sympathies without skills and worse, without real commitment because if they had put the effort into committing they'd have had found the ugly truths about the EU already.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Traitorfish likes this.
  7. really

really Deity

Updated for 2021.

Sofista, Traitorfish and tjs282 like this.
  8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Oooooh, that's a hard-hitting piece of imagery.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I think the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands should be added to stop the UK feeling lonely.
    We tried splendid isolation once before and it didn't work then either.

10. really

really Deity

You could throw in any number of countries.
    Mongolia? Belarus? New Zealand?

Though NZ has agreed to follow EU food standards so is subject to less stringent food safety inspections for imports to the
    EU than the UK.

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I see they went for simplicity in design.

12. Samson

Samson Deity

EU in panic at lack of essential foodstuffs

It seems that brexit changes has restricted the availability of sheep's stomach stuffed with lungs and oats in the EU, leading to shortages of this foodstuff that is essential for today at least.

More seriously, it seems the impact on UK exports is wider than this particular product: the Road Haulage Association has revealed almost half of all trucks bringing goods into the UK are heading back to the EU empty, as exports slump after Brexit. “There is not normal demand from exporters … around 40 per cent [of hauliers] are returning to the continent empty,” said chief executive Richard Burnett.
    Spoiler The vital food :

A Haggis specimen, Haggis scoticus, at the Glasgow Kelvingrove museum, next to a prepared specimen

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    tjs282 likes this.
  13. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

@Samson

The UK is a net importer of food. That food can be sold within the UK and need not be exported.

This may come as a surprise to some, but the UK has been running a trade deficit with the EU
    for years; so having hauliers drive back to the continent with empty trucks is quite normal.

In much the same way, the UK has been running a trade deficit with China for years
    so empty steel containers are regularly loaded onto container ships returning to China.
    (They used to load rubbish for sorting, but the Chinese wisely decided they ddn't want it).

Now I dare say there may be a slight increase in return of empty lorries, but I don't think that
    we know how much of that reflects deliverate overstocking in November and December;
    and how much is due to the long term reduction arising from leaving the EU customs union.

Ferocitus likes this.
  14. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Even taken at face value, that still doesn't solve the UK's being a net importer of food in the first place.

15. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Festival of Brexit
    ? Please tell me that is just a hysterical Independent headline, not a real planned thing. :crazyeye:
    That thing in the photo is scary!

Food will probably get more expensive not because of brexit but because of worldwide scarcity this year. The wealthy will keep importing it, the poor will starve. The UK is at no risk of starvation for lack of food to buy. And the EU can do without those things for a while :lol:

More generally, the UK will be shown a failed state when the many millions of immigrants who had been going there from the continent up until now decide on their will to leave en masse. I'm still waiting to see the sky fall and that happening. Somehow the racist labour rights hellhole without a economic future kept attracting immigrants who declined to stay in the wondrous social europe prosperous nations of the future they crossed to get to the UK: Germany, France, the Netherlands...

I do wonder how the UK, which has divested of Empire, manages to keep up the trade deficit year after year. I guess finance has been an empire of its own. There is a big risk for the UK there but that's independent of brexit.

16. Snowygerry

Snowygerry Warlord

Sometimes we capture some of them on route to the UK - the reasons given for wanting to travel on to Britain as opposed staying in Belgium, for example, are always the same,

1)Family already there
    2)No mandatory ID
    3)Language they understand.
    4)Low wage jobs available

They are called "transmigrants" here - migrants that have absolutely no intention of staying here.

17. Samson

Samson Deity

That is a rolling news site, and the Festival of Brexit was not up when I posted it.

Festival of Brexit does appear to be a real thing. I had not heard of it before, so they are not pushing it in the media and I would really expect it to be cancelled.

18. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Well, when you try to run a country by cultural "divide and rule", you need increasingly daft measures to keep the populace stoked up.

19. really

really Deity

Hrothbern likes this.
  20. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Been to the website, it has been postponed until 2022.

May be a good thing, providing the government is kept at arms length.