1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Very much ducking any comment on the extension.

2. Samson

Samson Deity

Biden is supposed to be Irish right? Then how come if you search google images for "biden guinness" you get photos of Obama with a guinness but not Biden? I think it is a conspiracy theory!!!

Hrothbern likes this.
  3. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

That's because

And wth, I've not listened to that in years and youtube autocompletes "there's" to "there's no one as Irish as Barack Obama". Coincidence? I think not :run:

Hrothbern, tjs282 and Samson like this.
  4. really

really Deity

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56361229
    Instead of agreeing an extended transition last year, the UK is giving the EU a free hand on imports.

5. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Well if there is no tax tariff to collect on them, why should the UK government bother? And perhaps the UK government is
    more concerned about trying to prevent the importation of nasty Coronavirus mutations than about imported goods from the EU.

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Why should the government, capable of running a country, pick and choose what it is concerned about? Surely it has the capacity to do both? Considering they keep banging on about how well they're handling Covid.

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

They're concentrating on doing 1 thing badly.
    Covid is their excuse for why they haven't acted on their social care plan that Boris told us was ready or banned gay conversion "therapy". That and consulting, although in both cases its a mystery who they have been consulting.

Gorbles likes this.
  8. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Would you prefer them to instead be concentrating on doing many things badly?

Taking social care from local authorities and merging it with the NHS is not necessarily a good idea.

Consider prioritising on death rates:
    Coronavirus
    Cancer
    Traffic Accidents
    Homicide
    Gay Conversion
    Overdue library books
    Any Other

9. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I don't think this is the slam-dunk argument you think it is.

Your argument was to do with what they were concerned with, not their competence in handling what they're concerned with. And if their competence is poor, it deserves highlighting and criticising, instead of challenging people who criticise it.

10. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I think AmazonQueen is old enough to reply for themself.

By the way competence and prioritisation are intrinsically related.

There is an expression about being industrious and foolish.

11. really

really Deity

It's not about tariffs, it's those non tariff barriers like food standards they are delaying checking.

The EU has been applying these in the other direction since Jan 1 afaik, hence the headlines about struggling British shellfish producers or whatever.

12. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

But what reason is there for the UK to check goods from the EU for food standards?

13. really

really Deity

Sovereignty.

Edit: Also non discrimination.
    In the absence of an agreement otherwise, the UK should treat all imports equally.

Waving through EU food while stopping say American chicken or Chinese baby formula would be discriminatory and open the UK to being sued.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

While having the sovereign ability to check food if there are reasons to believe it has become dangerous
    is a good thing, there is little to no good reason why the UK should expend resources in exerting such
    sovereignty in the absence of evidence that food from an existing source has become dangerous.

15. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Looking at the picture: apparently Johnson was last year not in a hurry to meet the planning, but yes, up to him when it is about controls on products imported by the UK from the EU.
    It is non-EU countries that can complain under WTO rules for equivalency of regulations. Not the EU (as long as the UK still enforces the rules on imports from non-EU countries).

Schermopname (370).png

16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

If foreign countries can consistently produce food of an acceptable quality, we should let them export to the UK.

If their food quality is variable, then simple checks ought to be undertaken particularly on suspect categories.

If they can not produce quality food, exports of the defective category(s) to the UK, ought not to be permitted.

And let them complain to the WTO. I doubt that WTO courts would rule them any right to export substandard food unchecked.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

As am I, as I did. You not replying to it is neither here nor there. Kinda funny to see you policing speech though.

Competence and prioritisation are related. But you're simultaneously claiming they're bad ergo they shouldn't attempt multiple things, while also therefore claiming they have the competence to acknowledge that they're bad and therefore shouldn't attempt multiple things. Bit of a paradox you're going for there.

18. Verbose

Verbose Deity

And if we might possibly be talking about the US demanding the UK not give EU products preferential treatment unless them same courtesy is extended to the US?

19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I am not policing speech, I am merely seeking AmazonQueen's own opinion.

The thing is with this Boris Johnson government, there is a tendency to insist that all
    non treasury decisions of any importance go through the Prime Minister's Office.

That results in a bottle neck overload that they are undoubtedly aware of.
    whether they are aware of their general level of competence is less clear cut.

My understanding is that Joe Biden has put a halt on negotiations while the Democrats consider what is in the USA' interests.

My four sentence answer above applies to the USA, as a foreign country, too.

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Surely competence factors into whether or not they're aware of a problem?

I mean, I believe they're fully aware of a range of problems and are electing to make a song and dance out of particular ones, when it suits them. But in terms of talking about competence generally, it's very possible to be bad at more than one thing, regardless or not of what it's a result of. That was my original point.