Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the alternative (Eu law) isn't by itself protecting X, there isn't much of a relation between X and brexit. And assuming you cannot aspire to protect X even by changing the executive branch of government, your situation again doesn't look very dependent on your status in regards to the Eu.

At any rate, we will soon find out. Supposedly you are to leave by the end of this month, or something.

Not that soon. We are now entering the transitional phase (sounds like something out of Star Trek) when nothing will have actually changed and we still have no idea about what will happen when we leave it.

And it will still be everyone else's fault except the government's when that happens.

If the alternative (Eu law) isn't by itself protecting X, there isn't much of a relation between X and brexit. And assuming you cannot aspire to protect X even by changing the executive branch of government, your situation again doesn't look very dependent on your status in regards to the Eu.

At any rate, we will soon find out. Supposedly you are to leave by the end of this month, or something.
There not being a law protecting X, doesn't mean that X can't be affected by the body that creates and maintains law (for the protections of X). This is really quite a stretch. Brexit has caused economic problems, which has disincentivised companies to invest in light of it (without it even needing to have happened). That's capitalistic business for you. The lack of confidence was caused by the intent to leave the EU. The amazing and infallible "free market" doesn't like a lack of confidence, and as such companies are moving their business to sites that offer a better return (in some ironic cases, to sites within the EU, but outside of the UK).

Not that soon. We are now entering the transitional phase (sounds like something out of Star Trek) when nothing will have actually changed and we still have no idea about what will happen when we leave it.
True, nothing will change after January, except that the UK will have no power in the EU, no representation in parliament, and no easy way back. I so hope it's possible to get some further reforms going then.

Twelve days to go.

True, nothing will change after January, except that the UK will have no power in the EU, no representation in parliament, and no easy way back. I so hope it's possible to get some further reforms going then.

Twelve days to go.
Twelve days until what? Sorry for being lazy, but I just pop in this thread occasionally to see what folks are saying is going on with Brexit.

Twelve days until what?

I think they're out as of the first?

NPR was making much to-do regarding fishing rights being a sticking point. Something something about British fishermen expecting ~7x as many fish available under quota without other EU countries allocated rights in the waters and something something about closing the markets to them in retaliation unless the status quo is maintained. Not that I'm getting much of the picture from my morning commute around here, but sounded pretty normal for trade dick-measuring, honestly.

Yes, well, if the UK excluded all foreign powers from fishing in its waters, to whom exactly are British fisherman going to sell their catches? They already sold off most of their allocated spots years and years ago for a variety of reasons and then complain loudly that foreigners are fishing "their" spots.

Twelve days until what? Sorry for being lazy, but I just pop in this thread occasionally to see what folks are saying is going on with Brexit.
The UK will officially have left the EU come February 1st, 2020. That will be it. They won't be able to go back and cancel it, nor retract it. They will be out.

Afterwards they will have no vote in the council, and no representation in parliament, and no say in what the EU does.

Because a transition period will continue to run out the year, there won't be any other changes in practice. Everything will look quite as before until the transition period is over.

Yes, well, if the UK excluded all foreign powers from fishing in its waters, to whom exactly are British fisherman going to sell their catches? They already sold off most of their allocated spots years and years ago for a variety of reasons and then complain loudly that foreigners are fishing "their" spots.

Yar!

The UK will officially have left the EU come February 1st, 2020. That will be it. They won't be able to go back and cancel it, nor retract it. They will be out.

Afterwards they will have no vote in the council, and no representation in parliament, and no say in what the EU does.

Because a transition period will continue to run out the year, there won't be any other changes in practice. Everything will look quite as before until the transition period is over.
Thanks. How was the backstop issue resolved?

Thanks. How was the backstop issue resolved?
The backstop is as the EU first suggested: Northern Ireland remains aligned with the EU, and, depending on how much the rest of the UK wants to diverge and what deal is decided on during the transition period, any necessary checks will happen on the boats between Northern Ireland and the island of Great Britain.

An often overlooked issue as well is that Brits eat mainly other fish (cod, haddock, sea bass, salmon) than mainly caught in their own teriritories.

=> the UK as of now exports a lot of fish to the EU and imports a lot of fish from the EU, Iceland, Norway

With trade barriers you get for the fish trade alone already a lose-lose
A hard Brexit that banned EU fishermen from UK waters would lead to many more fish being landed by British boats and a corresponding drop in prices, according to new economic analysis.

But there’s a catch. Two-thirds of the fish UK consumers eat are imported from overseas, and the costs of those would rise, due to the trade barriers resulting from a hard Brexit. Moreover, the fall in the price of UK fish would lead to a drop in earnings for UK fishermen. Overall, the analysis shows closing the UK’s sea borders would be a “lose-lose situation” for both UK and EU consumers and fishing industries.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-and-cheaper-british-fish-but-theres-a-catch

The backstop is as the EU first suggested: Northern Ireland remains aligned with the EU, and, depending on how much the rest of the UK wants to diverge and what deal is decided on during the transition period, any necessary checks will happen on the boats between Northern Ireland and the island of Great Britain.
:whew: At least that seems sensible
An often overlooked issue as well is that Brits eat mainly other fish (cod, haddock, sea bass, salmon) than mainly caught in their own teriritories.

=> the UK as of now exports a lot of fish to the EU and imports a lot of fish from the EU, Iceland, Norway

With trade barriers you get for the fish trade alone already a lose-lose
Guess the less wealthy UKers are gonna have to develop more of a taste for local fish.

Guess the less wealthy UKers are gonna have to develop more of a taste for local fish.

The less wealthy want to eat fish and chips !
and that's cod or haddock
no herring or other fancy fish stuff

The less wealthy want to eat fish and chips !
and that's cod or haddock
Or pollack, or flounder, or scrod, or catfish or even whiting if you really wanna push the boundaries of good taste :splat:. I used to be a cook/dishwasher at a takeout fish joint and we basically used whatever whitefish was available for our fish-and-chips dish.

Nothing wrong with pollock.

agree
for many dishes I prefer pollack: less DDT etc and cheaper (in NL)

But no pollack AFAIK is swimming in UK waters

Less shipping of chilled meats, if it's a swap-around, is probably a meta win.

Though that absolutely dooms me on sushi and mostly dooms me on fish in general. :cry:

I've heard that blamed on the EU for changing the diet of the British.

In 1972, before the UK became member of the EU, I was the first time in the UK, in London to be exact for 5 days, with a school trip of secundary school.
The reason was also the very comprehensive Tutankhamun exhibition in the British Museum, which was a huge thing at that time.

We visited the usual cultural stuff as well ofc incl the crown jewels in the Tower, had to see that musical "the Show Boat", and most importantly had a lot of secret meetings between the boys sleeping room and that of the girls.
It was also the first time I had as desert that glass like clear jelly in a terible cheap color on top of a dry cake.
In general the food available to us (small wallet) was to our taste terrible.
The only hot meal I liked was fish and chips :)
And I liked very much for our lunch the extra thin sliced sandwich bread with thick strawberries (you could choose between three thicknesses of sliced bread in supermarkets)

I guess that your diet changes are more coming from all those foreign cuisine restaurants and cheap take-aways with Indian curry and pizzas... are more coming from Brits on holiday in Spain, Portugal etc.... than from the EU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom