Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not selling off the industry, but that industry was ruined by nationalisation.

That must be the reason that May and now BoJo start renationalising railways

It's not selling off the industry, but that industry was ruined by nationalisation.

Except that many of the industries that were nationalised (eg railways, car industry) were in a bad way before they were nationalised.
Others like the Post Office made good profits under public ownership.

That must be the reason that May and now BoJo start renationalising railways
As a slight train nerd, it's because the franchising system just doesn't work. There's issues nationwide with a lot of operators, and I believe only one network is currently operated by the government (via its 'Operator of Last Resort'). That network is LNER, and I believe it's been relatively successful, and soon its fleet will have been fully upgraded to modern trains. Class 43s got taken out of service last year, and I believe the Class 91s are due to leave service this year - it's already in progress.

Northern is the next one to face being operated by the OoLR, as it is one of the lowest-performing operators in the country. Constantly running late, delayed trains, overcrowding, high number of cancellations and it also doesn't function. Two operators were merged into Northern, but they both essentially operate independently with little-to-no communication between them. Their stock is largely not fit for service, and actually a lot of it doesn't meet the accessibility requirements that were due to be enforced at the beginning of this year. They've had some new trains, but I believe there are delays with others.

I believe South Western Rail are possibly the third to face the OoLR, but that isn't as imminent as Northern's takeover, which I believe begins this week.

As a slight train nerd, it's because the franchising system just doesn't work. There's issues nationwide with a lot of operators, and I believe only one network is currently operated by the government (via its 'Operator of Last Resort'). That network is LNER, and I believe it's been relatively successful, and soon its fleet will have been fully upgraded to modern trains. Class 43s got taken out of service last year, and I believe the Class 91s are due to leave service this year - it's already in progress.

Northern is the next one to face being operated by the OoLR, as it is one of the lowest-performing operators in the country. Constantly running late, delayed trains, overcrowding, high number of cancellations and it also doesn't function. Two operators were merged into Northern, but they both essentially operate independently with little-to-no communication between them. Their stock is largely not fit for service, and actually a lot of it doesn't meet the accessibility requirements that were due to be enforced at the beginning of this year. They've had some new trains, but I believe there are delays with others.

I believe South Western Rail are possibly the third to face the OoLR, but that isn't as imminent as Northern's takeover, which I believe begins this week.

can I summarise that in:
the UK is better off when the government takes back control of the railways ?
As commom sense decision ?

Got to love scientific papers with bar charts straight out of Excel without even checking to see if the axes are stupid or not.

?
What is wrong with the axes ?

can I summarise that in:
the UK is better off when the government takes back control of the railways ?
As commom sense decision ?
Yes and no. There's really only one current example (LNER) who seem to be doing well. But that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best solution. The true summary is "the franchising of the British rail networks did not work".

?
What is wrong with the axes ?

Well it's a percentage scale and it goes up to 120. And isn't labelled as a percentage scale either. But other than that it's great :)

And also I get that changing format just for the sake of changing format doesn't really have any point, but personally I just think leaving absolutely everything as the straight-out-of-the-box Excel default just looks cheap and nasty. Like a school report.

Well it's a percentage scale and it goes up to 120. And isn't labelled as a percentage scale either. But other than that it's great :)

And also I get that changing format just for the sake of changing format doesn't really have any point, but personally I just think leaving absolutely everything as the straight-out-of-the-box Excel default just looks cheap and nasty. Like a school report.

ok... understand :)

That 120 being 120% self-suffiency, meaning a 20% surplus, is also the standard way in which the FAO (UN agricultural, Rome) presents such data.
And yes... you have to read the headline of the graph to understand the Y-axe scale.
And graphs should be void of possible misunderstandings !

My first spreadsheet was symphony.
My daughter has to make more and more powerpoint presentations... she is faster than I am... but in getting that ppt good for a presentation, she gets a lot of constructive criticism from me... the learning curve :)

Ah well if the 120 actually means something then fair enough, but the first bar stopping bang on 100 made it look like this was the upper limit (which it intuitively would be as well).

but the first bar stopping bang on 100 made it look like this was the upper limit (which it intuitively would be as well).

yes

(which it intuitively would be as well)

That is the elementary crux

Your graph or presentation should not disrupt inuitive understanding from what you want to show or demonstrate
unless that break away from intuition is important to show (like an eyeopener)... in which case you prep that and give due attention to that twist.

Three days until Brexit!

@Arakhor: Will we make a new thread then? Even though this one isn't very long, I'd think the occasion warrants it.

Don't know what the rest of you are doing, but I'm preparing my third Brexit party, to celebrate the disempowerment of the Tory's in Europe, and to hope and toast for a close and tight relationship between the EU and UK once the transition period runs out. :)

Well, we're only up to 300 posts (and that's in just three months). Besides, we have the vast extent of the transition period to look forward to now, so I think changing threads would be rather premature.

Three days until Brexit!

@Arakhor: Will we make a new thread then? Even though this one isn't very long, I'd think the occasion warrants it.

Don't know what the rest of you are doing, but I'm preparing my third Brexit party, to celebrate the disempowerment of the Tory's in Europe, and to hope and toast for a close and tight relationship between the EU and UK once the transition period runs out. :)

Once again, your own country isn't even in the Eu, fcol :p

I can find it in myself to hope for good outcomes in which I'm not personally invested. You should try it some time.

Once again, your own country isn't even in the Eu, fcol :p

Norway has not many farmers

We can ofc as EU stop the subsidising of farmers from the Brussels rack... and replace that by regulations limiting the max state aid per farmer from their national government to keep a level playing field for food trading within the EU.

When the countries with many farmers do not subsidise they will face a tsunami of farmers going bankrupt... and when they do subsidise to that current EU level, they will face immediately a high increase on their national government budgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom