1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I focused at Europe and the Commonwealth
    But as I continued, during my secondary school years, the collection of my grandfather and father, I did not mind adding from other countries as well.
    It was during my secundary school years my main source of pocket money. Buying and selling collections of post stamps at the saturday Amsterdam post stamps market, and taking out some stamps for myself, but not too much in order to keep my working stock big enough to continue trading and cream off enough pocket money.

Old Hippy likes this.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

In my experience, people will moan when they want, it's not something that's unique to folks upset over Brexit :p

That said, the coin's a pretty useless waste of money (to design and mint) so purely from an economic standpoint I can see where there'd be moaning!

Old Hippy likes this.
  3. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

I just want them to be true to their word and try to take them out of ciculation purly from an economic standpoint , as I have already order my souvenir coins

Gorbles likes this.
  4. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

5. Old Hippy

Old Hippy Deity

AmazonQueen likes this.
  6. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I have the complete set on DVD and the complete radio series. I LOVE that show so much.

Cheetah and Hrothbern like this.
  7. really

really Deity

Yes BBC 1 and ITV have special news shows. BBC 2 have a news night special. Channel 4 have a live comedy chat show that will be covering it. The host decided not to shave until Brexit happened and then with the various delays he now has a big bushy beard so he is going to have it shaved off. The hosts are unabashed remoaners - this is what I will be watching. Channel 5 have 'inside the worlds poshest hotels'

Cheetah likes this.
  8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I found out a while ago that the episodes of the TV series "The Borderers" have been put on youtube
    When I saw that in my youth, it was the first time that Scotland was really on my mental map of the world.

Guess when I am going to look at those ?

9. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

As is this case with the Shortcuts articles, the best bits are the quotes at the bottom.

Do say: “Do you like my ‘I Got Brexit Done’ tea towel?”
    Don’t say: “Yes, it’ll go great with my commemorative ‘Technically Brexit Will Not Be Done For Years Because It Requires A Complex Process Of Negotiation That Has Yet To Even Begin’ knitted toilet roll cover.

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

It's up there with Monty Python and Blackadder as the best stuff that's ever come out of the UK! Think I can do most of the episodes by heart, though I'm still struggling to memorise all of Humphrey's speeches. :love:

Edit: Did you ever get to read the "Yes, Minister" script for an early Brexit-episode from back in 2016?

Yeekim and Old Hippy like this.
  11. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

Awesome! Hope I can find a stream of it as well. What's the name of the comedy show?

12. Arakhor

It's called The Last Leg - 9 till 10.30 pm, I think.

13. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

Presumably it's no more a waste of money than an umpteenth Paddington Bear coin though. No-one seems to moan about those, and like it or not this is something of more significance.

14. really

really Deity

10 uk time till 11:30 to cover the 11pm departure.

Don't know how you would get it - it is a free to air sattelite channel so you might get it that way, otherwise Channel 4 have a web player called all4? Which should be streaming it - it might have location restrictions.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-last-leg

15. Manfred Belheim

I don't understand what all these programmes are for. It's not like it's an election night. Is anything actually going to happen that they will have to show?

16. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Emperor

A 50p coin was minted when we joined the EEC in 1973 and another one in ‘92 (regarding our holding of the Presidency) and a third to mark our 25th anniversary as members, so I suppose those have been an even bigger waste of money?
    Apparently this coin is the latest of 90 different designs for the coin since Decimal Day in 1971.

Hrothbern likes this.
  17. Arakhor

People actually used hard currency back then. I pay with coins for things maybe once a week, if that.

Well, as you said, it is a date of significance. Why wouldn't they cover it?

18. Manfred Belheim

People still use hard currency you LIBERAL ELITIST.

19. Arakhor

Really? I thought that the burgeoning debt crisis was spurred in no small part by constant electronic payments and "buy now, pay later" schemes.

20. Manfred Belheim

Yes really. I have coins in my pocket right now, and plan on buying milk with them later.