1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I bought a pint of milk with some spare silver this very morning, but as I said, my buying something with change happens less than once a week. Even the bus accepts card payment these days and I live in the back of beyond.

2. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Moaner Lisa

You even bought a pint of milk. See, the old ways aren't dead yet.

3. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I suspect if he checks the container he will actually have bought a half litre.

4. Manfred Belheim

To be fair I did actually buy a pint of milk around Christmas, in a glass bottle no less. I was surprised to find it in a shop.

5. Arakhor

That's because it's a turn of phrase. I actually bought 568 ml of milk from my local Co-op.

6. Manfred Belheim

So it was a pint then...

7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Warlord

I didn't! But I did try watching that 'remake' they did based on the stage show and oh my gosh it was terrible.

8. Arakhor

In old measurements, yes. I never claimed otherwise.

9. Manfred Belheim

I was more commenting on the fact that you actually bought a pint, not the units used to describe it.

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I mean, I'd argue they're just as silly, but at the very least something like Paddington Bear has cultural (including tourist) value. Brexit was built on the argument that we're better off striking out on our own, the exact opposite of friendship and solidarity with neighbouring nations (as the coin suggests), because we literally walked away from that. So on a number of levels there are conceptual problems with the message on the Brexit coin compared to other such commemorative coins.

I mean, it's not like you could split the country into thirds on voting for the existence of Paddington Bear. Does like / doesn't like / didn't vote, etc. Or maybe you can, I don't know :D The film was popular at least!

A fair argument, though perhaps not reflective of our current government policy of cuts and austerity.

It's a better argument to point out the coin's timing around the same time as the 5% cuts were announced was nothing more than a distraction, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

11. Manfred Belheim

It's only a conceptual problem if you think the only way you can be friendly with other nations is to be in a political union with them, which... is a weird thing to think. I have a fair few friends who I don't have a joint bank account with for example, and haven't added to my mortgage. 100% of them in fact. I don't think they suspect I hate them because of this.

12. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

The coin thing seems a bit like celebrating your anniversary after your divorce. Bizarre and hollow.

Gorbles and Samson like this.
  13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I lived in an apartment in Paddington, for a year. It's no place for a bear.

Old Hippy and tjs282 like this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

It wasn't just the political union, we have MEPs like Farage who've spent the better part of however long insulting his colleagues in the European Parliament, we have existing trade agreements that will now be null and void . . . we've damaged the very relationship we have with other countries in that very union.

International politics is not a joint bank account. It is, to me, incredibly bizzare, to celebrate friendship with a bunch of nations you've spent the past several years happily vilifying to the UK press on the basis of being able to go it alone.

15. Manfred Belheim

The European Parliament is not synonymous with the nations of Europe. Not really sure what you want, a coin that says "Eff Off" on it?

Also odd that you seem to be implying that the attitude of the nation as a whole should reflect that of Nigel Farage for some reason.

16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

As a kid I had a neigbour who could beautifully play piano and his wife could bake nice cakes. We enjoyed both.
    On Sundays, they were very Christian too, they would walk like us that 20 minute walk to our church.

When they had a quarrel, what happened quite a lot, they walked the same route, but the one on the one side of the street, and the other on the other side of the street (they had no kids)
    Just before arriving at the church they would join again, arm in arm, and sit next to each other in the church benches.

17. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Which of the two let in the baltic client states?

Hrothbern and Old Hippy like this.
  18. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

That must have been her.
    He took the usual side of the street, and she took the other side of the street ;)

Old Hippy and Kyriakos like this.
  19. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Baltic = German
    Balkans = France

20. Mega Tsunami

Mega Tsunami Emperor

There are approx. 1 trillion 50ps in circulation according to Mr Google.
    Each year they have to mint millions more to replace damaged or lost ones.
    The run for this version of 50ps is 3million. If you look at the list on the link below you can see that many more than 3m are minted every year.
    In other words, these coins would have been minted anyway, no matter what and so the only cost as I can see it is the cost of design.
    Of course I have no idea how much a new design would actually cost but I bet with the computer systems they no doubt have (and given they have c100 new designs since ’71) the cost is very, very little.

I think it was you that asked someone else to stop using terms like ‘Remoaner’. As it happens I agree with that, but when you (and Arakhor) start moaning about something as minor as this, it makes it hard to do that.

https://www.changechecker.org/category/mintages/