1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

We're having another election (3rd in less than 5 years. We won't be able to make jokes about Italian politics anymore)which will probably result in another hung parliament.

Sommerswerd and tjs282 like this.
  2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Not only did brexit not happen, Bojo didn't follow through his pledge to die in a ditch if it didn't. Worst of possible worlds.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  3. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

He merely stated a preference, but he is a humble man who knows he cannot have everything.

Sommerswerd likes this.
  4. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Because they can't agree on what to ask in such a referendum. Which makes Labour's position in the campaign silly, to say the least.

Corbyn just wanted to sink the bill and embarrass Boris. The time issue was an excuse.

I also think that is his angle.

The thing with all this political maneuvering is that people are not stupid. They see it, they see brexit being postponed yet again and uncertainty continuing, with bouts of urgency replaced with months of passivity afterwards, and they get more and more pissed off with the behavior of the politicians. The results of the election will, I believe, be surprising. Even to me. Where the anger will be channeled I do not know.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Maybe it will just be channelled against the politicians who are trying to ‘deliver Brexit’ so as to outsource the NHS to US ‘health’ companies to provide even worse services than at present for higher costs, but that's just my informed opinion.

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

In the deal of BoJo Brexit would not happen until Dec 2020 !

Until that date, during the "transition period" of that deal, it would be business as usual for EU-UK trade for goods and financial services.

If the Brexit Party makes a huge win in the coming election a no-deal Brexit before Dec 2020 could happen.

Here for the London City trade, the important and most beneficially export trade for the UK, the summary of Reuters:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-industry-at-brexit-crossroads-idUSKBN1WV1V8

7. Samson

Samson Deity

What particular record did he break? Note Lord Sutch ran in and lost 41 elections.

8. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten about Lord Sutch. Did he actually want to be an MP though? I thought that the MRLP was just a joke group.

Then why did Johnson (unilaterally) decide to "pause" the bill when Parliament told him that they needed longer to debate it? Those weren't just Labour votes. It's almost as if Johnson was afraid that his "deal" would crumble under the slightest scrutiny when his latest blackmail gambit failed.

9. Samson

Samson Deity

I think there is a case to be made that the monster raving loony party is less of a joke than the Brexit party, but I will admit that I think Farage wants power more than Lord Sutch.

10. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

This sounds more like "Remain" than "Leave"

11. Arakhor

You'd think that after five years of a coalition government and nearly three years of hung parliaments, the Government would have learnt how to compromise with anyone other than its own backbenchers, but sadly not. Besides, given that literally no one was promising a no-deal Brexit in 2016 (even Farage was salivating at the idea of a Norway deal) and with a knife-edge 52/48 result, a reasonable person would expect a deal that had elements of both sides.

12. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Given that the original Brexit vote was so close and now the UK's principal ally is ... let's say... by-and-through it's leadership, behaving in a suboptimal way... it would seem that the last think UK should be doing is divorcing its EU allies.

Morty likes this.
  13. really

really Deity

I'm bemused that forms of proportional representation are used to pick the new speaker or leader of the conservative party but that a one off advisory referendum and first past the post single member constituencies are sacrosanct.

What could possibly break this duopoly of Labour or Tory led government?

Edit: voting pacts are happening in Northern Ireland - it is more pronounced than I have seen in a long time.

DUP not standing in one marginal constituency in favour of the UUP.
    UUP not standing in one constituency in Favour of the DUP's Nigel Dodds.
    Sinn Fein not standing in three constituencies in favour of SDLP in one, an Alliance party member in another and a remainer independent Unionist in a third.
    SDLP not standing in one in favour of Sinn Féin and two others as above.

It might sound odd that the Nationalist parties won't have any candidates in two different constituencies but in reality they are not Nationalist areas and they only got a few hundred votes each and so are backing remainers instead - Sylvia Hermon in the wealthy suburban constituency of North Down and whoever the Alliance candidate will be in urban East Belfast.

Backing a Unionist is unusual.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Hrothbern likes this.
  14. Arakhor

You're preaching to the converted, mate. ;)

Sommerswerd likes this.
  15. Kyriakos

When will the Corbyn-Borjo tv debate happen?

16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

in two weeks... on the 19th

Kyriakos likes this.
  17. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Hey! 52% voted for brexit and 48% forfeited forever their right to have any voice in the process! The vote is eternal and can never be changed! Brexit means Brexit! They must break all ties to the EU and NEVER have ANY relations of ANY kind with the EU! The Will of the People™ must be respected!

and on a more comical note
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...sia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

18. Kyriakos

^
    So Russia is responsible for the brexit vote?
    Man, Russia is everywhere these days. Pretty impressive for a country that has a similar GDP to the UK.
    Must be due to how well slavic people function as spies and computer hackers, then. I mean compared to the leet underground russian influence in the brexit vote, all that the US could come up with was a state visit by Obama where he openly advised for Remain.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Compared to Trump telling us Corbyn would be a disaster, and that Boris and Farage are great, and should be cooperating that's not much to complain about.

Kyriakos likes this.
  20. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

It's all about priorities. If one puts less money towards the welfare of regular people, one gets a lot more money for the military and intelligence services.

And when the opponent is trying to have a free and open democracy, while still letting large corporations owned by authoritarian, thieving billionaires run wild, they're also very vulnerable.