1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit Thread VIII: Taking a penalty kick-ing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tjs282, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I digged myself a bit and the 10 year plan (rolling ?) of labour is one million in that 10 year.
    Current churn on that 100,000 per year is 50,000 disappearing from "right to buy" from the public stock.

This is good reading:
    As pamphlet: https://labour.org.uk/issues/housing-for-the-many/
    More detailed: http://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Housing-for-the-Many-final.pdf

Note: net migration in UK typical needing somewhere 100,000-150,000 houses per year.

Some backlog (especially for affordable housing) to deal with looking at this graph:
    (Thatcher killed it. Blair kept his eyes closed)

Schermopname (261).png

AmazonQueen and Samson like this.
  2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I don't recollect recently using 'conservative' other than as the first word of the UK Conservative Party.
    That is because the term 'conservative' has, like 'liberal', acquired various often contradictory meanings.

Yes, the theory was also that as owner occupiers, they would vote Tory, and it was probably correct.
    The problem for the Conservative Party is that the next generation, often the occupiers' own children,
    are renting from private landlords and have no such property owning status to influence their vote.

Tony Blair had the opportunity to reverse the worst aspects of Thatcherism,
    but he chose not to; that is why many referred to his New Labour as Tory Light.

I do not know what Labour will do if they are elected.

Jeremy Corbyn would, but alas, many of the UK PLP would not.

The sad fact is that too many Labour MPs are themselves landlords and profit
    from a dyfunctional housing market and have hopes of corporate directorships.

Of more interest is that Tom Watson, the deputy Labour leader has resigned,
    and the ex Labour MP Ian Austin is urging people to vote for Johnson.

3. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Well, does anyone really care about Ian Austin? :p

His stance is known. Made a few ridiculous speaches in parliament. If anything the issue is that tv channels give him time as if he represents anything.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Aren't you going to answer this, @innonimatu? Evo Morales has decided to unilaterally have a referendum on his re-election overturned by a packed court and now, when he realised he wasn't winning in the first round, he had the ballot count suspended and his security forces have already killed three people in the last two weeks.

Or do you prefer the Russian model? Standing for election against the president is an imprisonable offence there.

All you do is tell people in other countries how to live your revolution, because you never seem to dare try it on yourself.

----------------------------
    And the rest of my post?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  5. Samson

Samson Deity

So does BoJo not understand his own deal, or is he just lying? My money is on both:
    Mr Johnson said: "There will not be checks on goods going from Northern Ireland to Great Britain."
    Last month Mr Barclay said goods going from NI to GB would be subject to exit declarations.
    He said this would amount to the filing of an electronic form, involving "fairly straightforward data".
    Last month Stephen Barclay said goods going from NI to GB would be subject to exit declarations.
    The question then arises whether checks would ever have to be carried out to verify the accuracy of what is in the form.
    The prime minister says no, but many trade experts are sceptical about whether a policy of no checks can be maintained in the long term.
    However, the precise of details how it would all work are yet to be explained.

Mr Johnson said: "There will not be tariffs or checks on goods coming from GB to NI that are not going on to Ireland."
    This is highly unlikely - when it comes to checks.
    The deal means that Northern Ireland will remain part of a 'single regulatory zone' with the Republic of Ireland, a zone which will apply EU rules.
    The EU has particularly strict rules on the importation of "products of animal origin", that is to say meat, fish and dairy products.
    These products must enter the EU through a border inspection post where all shipments are subject to document checks and a high proportion are physically checked.
    Products of animal origin from GB entering NI would be subject to these checks whether they are destined for Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.​

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

This is Johnson; he's almost certainly lying, but it's rather likely that he simply doesn't understand "his" own deal.

Samson likes this.
  7. really

really Deity

+ he was drinking

8. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

The two are not mutually exclusive. He doesn't care about understanding so he freely mixes campaign slogans, unsupported allegations and intentional fabrications with things that might be true but which he doesn't understand in any case.

9. Arakhor

Indeed, yes.

10. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

You go out of you way to insult me and repeatedly drop false accusations and baiting,. and expect me not to ignore you? And I also point out that Bolivia is not part of the UK or th EU. So you're still doing your usual harassment.

I reply and for the benefit of other who might fall for your spread of the usual corporate propaganda against Morales, I'll just link this. Let people read and judge. Suffice to say, an opposition that believed its own claims about fraud wouldn't be destroying the ballots but rather recounting them.

If you lose, force a repeat of the election until the result is "right"? Morales ignoring 2016 the referendum, and the opposition losing an election, falsely claiming fraud and trying to force a new one. I guess Bolivia could fit in just right with the EU! Too bad it is in the wrong continent. But it is certainly 100% democratic by european standards.

11. Arakhor

Why does Bolivia keep getting brought up in this thread?

12. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Don't blame me! But it is funny to see that democratic political dysfunctions are not an exclusive of Europe.

13. Kyriakos

Cause by now Britain is politics-level wise a banana republic :p

14. Kyriakos

Hm, at any rate it is a change from Bercow.

(btw, given the video has Alex Salmond, I suppose this is from when the current speaker was deputy speaker?)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  15. Arakhor

Hoyle may not be Bercow, but if a minority govt continues to try to run rough-shod over Parliament and treat the Commons like their gift (rather than the reverse), any non-doormat Speaker will soon find himself out of favour with all the usual suspects.

16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

I don't disagree with this, but I don't wish to take on a general discussion of conservatism in this particular thread.

Quite, while immigrants may bring many skills and contributions, they do not increase the land area for their housing.
    Now there are many other issues about housing in the UK, but having a lberal medi/government concensus to pretend
    that significant net immigration does not have an impact and accuse critics of racism has annoyed a lot of people in the UK.

Well that is my opinion too.

The so called Boris deal is a crap deal which is why he wanted to rush it through so quickly to avoid scrutiny..
    I do not know what Boris will do if he gets a conservative majority in the general election.
    I suspect that Boris Johnson does not know himself.

Would Boris
    (a) use that majority to try force that surrender deal through,
    (b) try to reopen negotiations with the EU to improve it
    (c) have the UK Leave without a deal or,
    (d) winning a conservative majority, but failing to win his seat, leave.the problem to his successor.

or more than one, and perhaps even all of these options.

17. Kyriakos

When will polls start to appear?

18. Samson

Samson Deity

BBC Poll of Polls tracks loads of polls.

Kyriakos likes this.
  19. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

20. Kyriakos

On the nice lib-dems :)

AmazonQueen likes this.