1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Brian Reynolds leaves Zynga

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by The_J, Jan 30, 2013.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Joystiq reports that Civilization 2 and Alpha Centauri Designer Brian Reynolds has left the browser games developer Zynga.
    Reynolds joined Zynga in 2009 and has been the responsible for the Facebook game FrontierVille.
    Reynolds hasn't given any comment yet about what he plans to do in the future, but I guess the Civ community might have some hopes, and we sure wish him all the best :).

The Zynga image is from broowaha.com, released under the Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution.

Thanks to our member Thander for reporting this news item :).

2. ragan651

ragan651 High Regent of Candlewick

Wonderful to hear. Now if we can just rescue Soren Johnson, all will be right again.

3. MARDUK80

MARDUK80 Chieftain

4. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

AC2, AC2, AC2 (Seriously, If I can decide, I would even offer him to do Brain Reynold's Alpha Centauri :lol:)

5. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Chieftain

It's on time he stops wasting his talents. He is needed in Grand Strategy development.

6. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Chieftain

Before anyone gets too excited, remember that he was a guy who was excited to work on Zynga games. I don't think we're getting classic Alpha Centauri gameplay out of him; if you put him on that kind of project, you'd probably end up with a super casual disappointment instead.

7. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion

8. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

This is great news indeed. (But don't get excited about AC2, that's tied up in IP rights hell with Satan Electronic Arts.)

Reynolds was excited to join Zynga because he genuinely believed that mobile-social-freemium was the future of gaming. That actually was a reasonable prediction in 2009, and it's also reasonable for that opinion to fall by the wayside now.

9. Frimlin

Frimlin Wandering Wizard

Brian, how about Alpha Centauri II (or a game very much like it but named differently) created as a Kickstarter program?

Just putting it out there in case he reads this. :)

10. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Agreed.

11. Thander

Thander Chieftain

That's true, but he could create the spiritual successor. It doesn't have to be called AC2 you know.

12. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Chieftain

Zynga is (not surprisingly) imploding. Reynolds' departure does not mean that his philosophy is changing again. And even if it is, there's no reason to think it's changing back towards Civ 2/AC.

It'd be nice if he did make another grand strategy game, of course!

13. Pitboss

Pitboss Chieftain

I'ld love that, where can I contribute? :)

14. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

This is hardly relevant enough to CFC to warrant its own announcement. It is good he finally got tired of "designing" copy paste slot machine-like games though.

15. SouljahAtWar

SouljahAtWar Wasteland Souljah

Zynga was a terrible money-grabbing company anyways... like EA.
    Only they make crappy Facebook games. You'll have to pay money to actually succeed in their games. Horrible concept indeed.

16. Dale

Dale Chieftain

A chunk of the Civ team leave Firaxis in December........ Reynolds leaves Zynga in January.

Just two pieces of recent news.

17. Selous

Selous Chieftain

one of the grandadies of the civ francise, i am interested in the professional moves that these guys make, and easy to see that i am not the only one

first thought was i hope he makes another AC, or another civ style game

18. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Him leaving Zynga still has nothing to do with Civilization to warrent its own announcement.

19. urzagc13

urzagc13 Chieftain

It appears he has now (http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/01/brian-reynolds-on-zynga-games-and-the-future/) - emphasis is mine :

So, strategy games in tablets/phones it is. All in all it seems promising (if only 75% of that interview wasn't Reynolds praising Zynga, :crazyeye: and he hadn't made that remark about "free-to-play" games, which may lead to too light/too casual strategy games for the tastes of most of us)

20. Selous

Selous Chieftain

i guess AC2 is right out then ...