Bribes

I never get bribes to work. Even if I have 30,000 florins in the treasury, they always decline. Does your diplomat have to be a certain level or something?

Ah, bribes. You have no idea how much I use them in my current Seleucid games. Assassins + diplomats = no enemy armies. Absolutely awesome when you have nearly 1 million denari in the treasury.

Well, I had an entire settlement flip today. Stupid Julii. Another exterminated settlement...

I find it much more fun to kill off an invading army then to bribe them. More blood

They work very well for me. If they bribe one of my family members, I either send hordes of assassins to try and kill the traitor or take the nearest decent sized army and continue to attack them until they're completely destroyed.

If it's a city that turns traitor, I treat it the same way I treat a city that rebels: kill all the defenders and exterminate the populace to teach them the price of treason.

Bribes in vanilla RTW are brokenly easy to get. Kind of like how money is brokenly easy to get. :p

It also solves the problem inherent in large populations in the game, which is to revolt. Small populations will generally not. It also yields extra money.

I've had some Numidian and Spanish cities with a very small populations that have caused me nothing but trouble. Sometimes I even pull my garrison out of the city so that it's more likely to rebel. Then I slaughter the rebels.

For some reason I always have trouble keeping order in West Africa, regardless of my faction.

Its no coincidence that every empire in history has suffered from similar problems in those areas.
...which is why I dislike playing as Carthage/Safot Softim biQarthadast immensely. (The reliance on naval power also isn't a point in its favor.)

Are the enemy diplomats stationed just outside my cities, the ones I see taking scrolls out, just fidgeting... or are they really trying to bribe my fully defended capital every turn? Always wondered...

They are trying to bribe your capital.

Top Bottom