bridges

slaya

Settling in place.
im sorry i dont know if someone already had the same idea making a thread of it but..

Bridges, able to build over 1 or 2 coastal squares would be nice, small ships could pass it and you get to walk over it just like a road. i'd really love this feature.

a simple thing but prolly takes lots of effort.

Simple but fairly unrealistic. A tile is ~250 miles across. This would be one serious long bridge and require a fairly advanced level of technology.

Use boats. Do something like:
(L is for land; B is for boat)
LBL
or
LBBL
with as many boats as you like!

Think of it like a bucket brigade ;-)

I've always thought of that as a minor exploit. Not really an exploit, actually, just kind of sleazy.

I absolutly agree with KraftFOR

carriers should be revised , they should be able to carry 8-10 planes and some gunships/choppers. This unit is to be introduced.

But we need also helicopter carriers like USS Tarawa - this should be able to carry gunships, helicopters and marines.

And MORE TYPES OF PLANES!!!
make jet fighter more powerful
make air-ground strike planes
make bombers capable of being upgraded

that's it. bye

If you look at the tiles graphically, some coast tiles contain a significant amount of land. I see no problems with bridges being possible in such a situation, reaching to an offshore island or across a long inlet.

I think Huszar responded to the wrong thread.

bkworm, I think that's just to make the tiles look more interesting ;-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescaryworker
Use boats. Do something like:
(L is for land; B is for boat)
LBL
or
LBBL
with as many boats as you like!

i think it more as a worker-action with a help of a crane or something

it could be bombed, and workers can fix it (just like clearing pollution, jungle etc)

with boats.. it couldnt be fixed unless you want to see ugly walls sailing at the coast getting replacement to the old bridge which has been rammed by enemyships
i dont see that working

Whatever 'warpstorm' said. Makes my life easier when I'm in agreement with someone's reply :)

Just consolidating :) (just crossover topics really)
maintance cost of railroad. Bridge (ax2047)
Bridge, Tunnel & Channels (Colonizationfan)

Continuing on, same topic but on a slightly different route ...

When the Tech required to allow bridged rivers has been researched, those bridges should be able to be destroyed. Here is how I propose it work using what we already know with Civ3 mechanics.

Bombarded terrain tiles create "craters". If a terrain tile containing a river was bombarded, the "crater" effect would not only make that tile reduce it's production value but also have it's bridge "destroyed". Allowing Worker units to "remove" the crater also fixes the bridge.

This way, units moving over "destroyed" bridges (those terrain tiles with rivers that have "craters") will take up ONE full movement, just like the effect during the pre-bridge years (no bridge over rivers). This would also affect railroads so units moving along railroads that crosses "destroyed" bridges would take up ONE movement cost away from their remaining moves (i.e. 3 moves becomes 2, 2 becomes 1, etc.)

I assume this change would not be too difficult to include. "Crater" effects are already in Civ3 in-game. Workers units can also "remove" craters in Civ3. "Craters" are visible to the player, therefore "destroyed" bridges would also be quite easy to manually detect (see the crater & see the river equals "destroyed" bridge detected). All that's required is to apply the effect of the pre-bridge years for "destroyed" bridges (effectively working like there is no bridge over the river) and re-apply bridge effects when Worker units "remove" craters (simulating fixed bridge along with fixing the land).

Looks simple enough to add, but I suspect there's more to it than meets the eye.

-Pacifist-
"Like a bridge over troubled water ...
... I will ease your mind" -S&G

It should take much longer to build a road(bridge) over a river compared to normal terrain, but it could yield som sort of extra trade due to taxes. It would also be nice if rivers were bridgeable only at certain tiles to make them more important in wars etc.

Bridges are in the civ4 wish list, but I think it is left out with civ4. Personally I feel bridge is a must.

Top Bottom