Bring Back Serial Thread Postcount

Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! :agree::agree::agree:

Why was this decision made without announcement?

Why did @Petek get to make this decision? Are serial threads big outside of OT? If not, shouldn't it have been one of the OT mods to make that call? Did they even get to weigh in?

I don't think it's very important.

Though, it not being important does kind of make me think the change/return to wiping post counts is merely change for change's sake, and doesn't enhance the community or fix a problem. Of all the site issues, was "serial threads counting posts" up there? Why was it on the list to begin with? What issue has been solved by making this change? What improvement to the community will we see because of it?

So while I don't actually care about the post count itself, I'm in support of the change being reversed. It does not seem to serve a benefit. That it was done sight unseen is also a bit questionable, although I could see that being the case if Petek saw it as a "minor change." But then, if it were so minor, why change it...? The cycle continues.

That all being said, I won't exactly be mad if it remains enforced. :lol:

I don't understand why serial threads exist for some things, but not for others. I don't know why anyone cares about post count. And I don't understand how they are tied together or the nature of the change that has taken place.

Other than that, this is a topic close to my heart.

I don't understand why serial threads exist for some things, but not for others. I don't know why anyone cares about post count. And I don't understand how they are tied together or the nature of the change that has taken place.

Other than that, this is a topic close to my heart.

Older versions of vBulletin had a fatal flaw where it could get repeating database errors if threads regularly got over 1000 posts. That got patched out, but serial threads continued as a community tradition (IIRC). And it's stayed through Xenforo.

Newer threads can be serialized or not, but it seems to be at the mods' discretion as well as the original OP. E.g. Random Thoughts got serialized but the shopping thread did not because Mary didn't want it to be. And then some of the politics threads get a new thread annually.

Why was this decision made without announcement?

Why did @Petek get to make this decision? Are serial threads big outside of OT? If not, shouldn't it have been one of the OT mods to make that call? Did they even get to weigh in?
When did it happen? I wasn't posting in the serial threads for awhile, so I wouldn't have noticed if my posts were being counted or not.

But we had this argument before here, and I will repeat my stance.

@Petek: Please come here and explain why we shouldn't have post count for serial threads, whether they're active or archived.

Since very few of the admin staff participates in these threads on any sort of basis let alone regularly, I don't think you realize that some of the most interesting discussions happen in them, sometimes to the point where the discussion gets split off into its own thread. There are some very good posts in these threads and they should count toward members' overall post counts. By refusing to let us keep the post count, it's essentially saying, "These are junk posts, not much better than spam, and not worth acknowledging along with the non-serial thread posts." If a person takes the trouble to post something, it should count. Period.

That's not to say that some of the posts aren't silly or otherwise underwhelming. But the majority are of decent quality and should be deserving of being counted.

Please restore the post count for the serial threads.

Newer threads can be serialized or not, but it seems to be at the mods' discretion as well as the original OP. E.g. Random Thoughts got serialized but the shopping thread did not because Mary didn't want it to be. And then some of the politics threads get a new thread annually.
The weather thread isn't serialized either, because I didn't want it to be.

There is a good reason for serial threads, as long ones get so unwieldy that if you need to search something in them... good luck. Some of the threads at TrekBBS (for another XenForo example) are not only thousands of posts long, but thousands of pages long. That's a nightmare, so of course I'm not advocating that we start allowing threads with tens of thousands of replies (no exaggeration).

But whatever we do post should be counted. A lot of thought goes into some of the replies, and should be acknowledged whether the thread is active or archived.

Last edited:
I don't really care about post count but this actions seems so petty. Especially if there are people that care about it as shown by those posting here.
Where is the harm (there is none) so this should really be a no-brainer.

Bring back postcount!

Post count drama! Cool. +1

Which threads were archived and lost postcount?

I lost over 5000 posts when I retired from moderating. All my posts in the moderator forums ceased to count. Oh well.

So I can have a larger postcount by becoming a moderator?

I don't think you'll really help the case at hand by make flippant posts in Site Feedback.

I am as flippant as the forum staff were with OT split non-joke and the elimination without warning of social groups.

I don't think you'll really help the case at hand by make flippant posts in Site Feedback.
:dubious:

Please link us to the exact rule that says sarcasm and exasperation and criticism are not allowed in Site Feedback. I think everyone here knows that Takhisis is not seriously asking to join the staff, as that's not how it works.

I lost over 5000 posts when I retired from moderating. All my posts in the moderator forums ceased to count. Oh well.
That is not remotely the same thing, and you know it.

Top Bottom