Bring back slavery!

BassDude726

It's Just a Phase
No, not what you're thinking. I admit to sensationalism, that was just to get your attention.

Did you know that convicts get paid for the jobs they perform in prison? WTF? Make 'em do it for free. We're already footing the bill for their cable TV and hot showers, do they really need a paycheck?

BassDude726 said:
No, not what you're thinking. I admit to sensationalism, that was just to get your attention.

Did you know that convicts get paid for the jobs they perform in prison? WTF? Make 'em do it for free. We're already footing the bill for their cable TV and hot showers, do they really need a paycheck?

It's about time we agree on something ;)

It's not that simple. If they did it for free, you'd have prison workforces undercutting all other worker's prices.

thestonesfan said:
It's not that simple. If they did it for free, you'd have prison workforces undercutting all other worker's prices.

No, no, I'm not talking about the outside-prison work they do, I mean the stuff they do in the prison, like serving lunch and doing laundry and stuff.

That doesn't really make much sense though. That's like saying outsourcing doesn't make sense because then people lose ther jobs.

I suppose it's to make the inmates accustomed to "honest money".

cgannon64 said:
They get paid a pittance. (Did I use that right?)

If you mean they only get paid a very small amount, then yes, you did. But I don't see whay they should get paid anything at all. But then, I tend to think that the entire prison system need to be completely overhauled to make things less cushy for the inmates. But then, it's well known that I'm a mean and heartless bastard. :D

You know, if I was homeless, I'd commit a felony. You get free room and board, cable, heat, showers, jobs, etc. Beats living on a sewer vent to keep warm.

BassDude726 said:
You know, if I was homeless, I'd commit a felony. You get free room and board, cable, heat, showers, jobs, etc. Beats living on a sewer vent to keep warm.

Don't forget the rapings and beatings.

You have to be very, very careful with this sort of thing, because convict labor just screams for abuse.

It is extremely tempting to use these guys for something, especially if you don't have to pay them. That also produces a very warped system. A captive workforce and the free market don't mix well at all.

Little Raven said:
It is extremely tempting to use these guys for something, especially if you don't have to pay them.

Medical testing comes to mind. :mischief:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't mind paying them a wage and then charging them for the use of the various facilities. Food, bedding, the television, the weight room, the library, let them pay for it all if they're going to be paid for doing work. I'd support that.

cgannon64 said:
Don't forget the rapings and beatings.

But don't those also happen on the street?

Whats funnier, in Canada, at least from what I understood someone mention, people in prison get to vote and could form their own party, so if the regular citizens of a province/states etc didn't have a big turn out and almost everyone in a prison voted for a prisoner's party, they could gain political power.

It's kinda to think, someone could steal your wallet, then get caught, go through a lengthy court case, which costs the tax payers money, so more money out of your wallet, then the thief is convicted and put in jail, which again costs the tax payers more, then the thief gets paid for work he does, which again comes out the tax payers wallet. :lol:

Syterion said:
They get Cable!!! I don't have cable!

then rob someone and go to jail

Top Bottom