Bring back the GLANCE tab to the foreign advisor!

Would you like to have the GLANCE tab back?

• Yes

Votes: 311 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • Somebody will do a mod for this very soon anyhow... and I don't care about multiplayer.

Votes: 25 6.9%

• Total voters

Colee

Father Of All Bombs
Civ4 BTS patch v3.13, while doing many good things for the game, is a letdown in one respect: it removes the glance tab from the foreign advisor. According to the changelist, they considered it 'ugly'.

Well, would you like to have it back?

When I saw the change list for the first time some weeks ago, I already reacted that that would be one of the few changes that I wouldn't like. There were some similar reactions in that thread and no-one replied that they were glad the GLANCE tab was removed. I wouldn't be surprised if most of us civfanatics consider it a bad decision to remove it. But we'll see what the poll says.

I voted yes, but the GLANCE tab originated as part of a mod on this forum, although that mod is probably not up to date anymore.

The unaltered gameplay mod will probably add it back in.

Voted Yes! I hope besides BUG mod the HOF mod will add it back in as well.

edit: It is a part of hof mod, didn't realise that, thanks Ori
soon no more worries about missing the beautiful glance screen :)

Yes !!!

That was certainly among the top five of the most useful screens so far.

I suppose one ought to argue that for those who care the Glance Tab should remain (or in the present case be brought back). Those who don't like it on aesthetic grounds can simply not bother to open it... they're not forced to look at it after all, while those who want it are obliged to do without it if, as it has been, it is simply removed.

I suppose one ought to argue that for those who care the Glance Tab should remain. Those who don't like it on aesthetic grounds can simply not bother to open it... they're not forced to look at it after all, while those who want it are obliged to do without it if, as it has been, it is simply removed.

Thanks for wording my thoughts, this is EXACTLY what I think.

I would much prefer to have it in the core game, but others have rightly pointed out that we will probably/hopefully have a chance to get the tab back via mods.

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet some intimidating bigwig at Firaxis looked over a programmer's shoulder one day and said "man, that's ugly." Or maybe they had some ill-fated focus group. I can think of no other reason to have ditched this completely awesome screen. Now every mod worth its salt will have to bring it back in. Nobody will want to slog through (N-1)*(N-2) long-winded conversations with leaderheads to glean a subset of the information that was right there on this scalable exquisite non-ugly screen. And don't forget the tooltips revealed all the trading information too! If it weren't for mods like HOF and BUG, who I am sure will get this screen back in ASAP, we should all be boycotting this patch just like we boycotted 3.03 :).

Another +1 vote! If they really removed it to satisfy marketroids then they should have hidden it with a secret .ini file option to bring it back.

This was one of my favorite changes in BtS, and one of the most useful of all advisor screens. Bring it back!

Why on Earth would a feature be removed when the whole reason it was put there in the first place was to improve the player's access to information?

I'm very disappointed the Glance tab was removed. :(

I would like to see it returned.

Yeah bring back the Glance Tab! This is worser than the Expansive nerf, and the HRE inclusion combined!!!!!!!

As others have pointed out it already exists in the HOF mod which has to be used for HOF & GOTM games. However there are often times when I don't want to use that mod but still want the glance screen. I think part of the 'ugly' bit was the way Firaxis implemented it. It looks far better in the HOF mod.

You can get most of the information from the Relations screen, but it's tedious. The thing Glance was really good for was figuring out who was worst enemies with whom. Perhaps that could be incorporated into Relations (the worst enemy gets a fatter line, or clicking on a leader would highlight everyone who considered him their worst enemy, or some such). That info really should be easily available.

peace,
lilnev

You can get most of the information from the Relations screen, but it's tedious. The thing Glance was really good for was figuring out who was worst enemies with whom. Perhaps that could be incorporated into Relations (the worst enemy gets a fatter line, or clicking on a leader would highlight everyone who considered him their worst enemy, or some such). That info really should be easily available.

peace,
lilnev

Thinking outside the square! I think that's a nice idea and would be satisfied with that if we needed to make a compromise.

Come on, I don't know how somebody who is 'The Diplomat' could put up with an unprincipled compromise like that... :joke:

Top Bottom