1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bring back the natural looking borders, please!

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by OldmansHQ, Jul 24, 2014.

?

Do you want the natural looking borders in CBE?

1. Yes, definitely!

36 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Yes I do!

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I agree. Ancient human territory grew organically. It sought resources and was constrained by difficult terrain.

In the present, as well as the future, we have the capability to survey and map the world in three dimensions to within inches. It makes no sense to be constrained by obstacles that can be hopped over with a helicopter. Border growth should not be organic. It should seek to incorporate known resources without concern for the terrain type, except maybe miasma. Straight lines make perfect sense on this map interpretation of a planet.

2. Tagma

Tagma Chieftain

Some good points from Eagle Pursuit. I quite like the visual metaphor of geometrically perfect lines overlaying the fertile, unquantifiable chaos of the planet...

3. rawrkitty

rawrkitty Chieftain

I prefer hex borders, myself.

Much easier to see how the tiles are layed out.

Please change your poll.

4. Raw is War?

Raw is War? Soul Reaper

I prefer the hex borders. They fit the theme better imo. However, I do think Firaxis should consider including a toggle option to let people choose.

5. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I actually don't like the borders consisting of repititive regular hexagon tiles... I dont mind them being a hexagon, but if these just were irregular hexagons, each borders would still differ from each other... I hope you understand what i mean...
    Here an (extreme) example of how I suggest the grid for the borders could be:

6. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

That's better than a standard hex.

7. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Prince

I prefer curvy borders as I find curvy things (Enterprise-D for one example) more appealing and relaxing. Hard edged and multifaceted borders in games cause me slight eye strain and I think they make my decisions slightly less organic and more mechanical now that I think about it closely. So please Firaxis, make them rounded.

8. ManOfRet

ManOfRet Chieftain

Well, let's be honest here: How many borders can you think of that are natural?

Now, after answering that, where/when were those borders made?

Here's a hint: Mostly pre-1800 regions in the old world and eastern Americas.

Now, compare that to this statement: Most of the borders made after 1800 had some aspect of artificiality to them. Examples? Northern and Central Africa, the Middle East, Western US states, England-Scotland (not recent, but this just proves the point that straight borders are also very historical), etc, etc.

It's unfair to say that all borders are curvy, so that's how they should be.

I, personally, quite like the sharp hexagonal borders, although there should be some distinction among affinities besides just the faction color, I think. In the end, though, the sharper borders fit better with the theme and the historical trend of humanity in general.

Whereas "natural", curvy borders exist between long-existing states, like the France-Germany border, "artificial" borders exist in places where there is not a substantial population. In other words, the newly-colonized planet should have "artificial" borders because it's what actual humans would do on an actual new planet.

TL;DR - Sharp, hexagonal borders are simply better for this particular game.

Also, they make things much clearer to see and interpret, in my opinion.

9. TheUndeadFish

TheUndeadFish Chieftain

This is all about preferences in style. Sure I like my women not to have edges. I also like the strait lines of 70-90 sports cars, boats and the rigid borders of state lines. I am a very mathematical person and find beauty in patterns. A beehive with the sloppy lines from civ V would upset me if I saw such a thing.

10. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

I play strategic view exclusively. Argument is invalid.

11. s0nny80y

s0nny80y Emperor

Kinda like Endless Legends.

12. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

Yea. I like the once city per region mechanic there and based on where you put your city down, you get different bonuses.

13. Technopinky

Technopinky Chieftain

I would vote "No" if the poll would let me.

14. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

And at the same time you end up with a situation where 80% of a region is utterly useless, because the current game mechanics force you to build all city districts adjacent for the increased level 2 bonus.

The idea itself is nice, but even with small regions you waste so much space that it is cringeworthy...

15. NASAROG

NASAROG Prince

I laughed.

True. Thankfully it's still in Beta, and there might be a chance that the devs will enact changes to improve gameplay (we hope). But yea, you make a good point. Though... I was only asking about the way the borders look and not about changing the mechanic for the city building :D

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Chieftain

Indeed, the Hex borders are better for the futuristic feeling :).