Bring local governors back, let we automatize these large empires! Or puppet cities.

Bliss

Warlord
Since playing wide is much more doable in Civ VI, we really should have an option to ignore cities queue completely, just like past editions. When you have 20 cities + you just want whatever thing that one city will produce.

In Civ 5 I used to just switch to producing science or gold in my older cities when building more modern buildings would be a waste of time and maintenance costs. I just got Civ 6 but I'm not sure if you can still do that. Instead it looks like you have "projects" that contribute to Great Person points but often times I don't want that.

In Civ 5 I used to just switch to producing science or gold in my older cities when building more modern buildings would be a waste of time and maintenance costs. I just got Civ 6 but I'm not sure if you can still do that. Instead it looks like you have "projects" that contribute to Great Person points but often times I don't want that.
That's right, and they also generate a few raw yields IIRC.

It would be cool if they introduced a new mechanic that allowed you to “merge” city centres into a Metropolis. There could be restrictions like requiring to unlock a civic, maximum 3 city centres and each have to be max X tiles away from each other, maybe each has to have at least 1 specialty district and 1 neighborhood and a minimum population of Y. Basically the 3 city centres would pool their production to one queue to help with the increased production cost in the late game and micromanaging many production queues. Each city centre would still deal with their personal housing/amenities/district caps, and you’d choose in which centre you want to build your building/district/units. Just a thought to addressing the tedium of managing so many cities in the late game where often your science and culture outpace your production.

It would be cool if they introduced a new mechanic that allowed you to “merge” city centres into a Metropolis. There could be restrictions like requiring to unlock a civic, maximum 3 city centres and each have to be max X tiles away from each other, maybe each has to have at least 1 specialty district and 1 neighborhood and a minimum population of Y. Basically the 3 city centres would pool their production to one queue to help with the increased production cost in the late game and micromanaging many production queues. Each city centre would still deal with their personal housing/amenities/district caps, and you’d choose in which centre you want to build your building/district/units. Just a thought to addressing the tedium of managing so many cities in the late game where often your science and culture outpace your production.
The micro of many cities is there in 2 cases:
1. You are going for Domination, but in this case you don't need production after some point.
2. You are playing on a very low difficulty(srsly, I play on Immortal and don't get more than 12-14 cities - and when I invest into an army to take 2-3 cities from the opponent, I win later).
In other cases, you just wouldn't have that much micro, but the existence of such metropolises could make a science victory much easier(suppose you have 3 cities with 60 prod in each. Before lasers, you can only produce 1 project at a time. With metropolises, you're going to make it 3 times faster).

The micro of many cities is there in 2 cases:
1. You are going for Domination, but in this case you don't need production after some point.
2. You are playing on a very low difficulty(srsly, I play on Immortal and don't get more than 12-14 cities - and when I invest into an army to take 2-3 cities from the opponent, I win later).
In other cases, you just wouldn't have that much micro, but the existence of such metropolises could make a science victory much easier(suppose you have 3 cities with 60 prod in each. Before lasers, you can only produce 1 project at a time. With metropolises, you're going to make it 3 times faster).
Nothing that some codes couldn't fix. I.e. lower production by 200% when producing projects.

I keep thinking about this idea. It is amazing. I wish we could at least let a developer know about it.

I mean, lower a Metropolis production when it is producing a project, to better balance it.

It would be cool if they introduced a new mechanic that allowed you to “merge” city centres into a Metropolis....

I came here to post I have a similar idea, but it's named after a more modern phenomenon: Nationalism. At a certain point in the game I think you should be able to 'nationalise' cities and do essentially what you wrote...

...Also I thought about something else: that'd be a neat mechanic to allow you to integrate it with corps and armies; I'm not sure if there should be an intermediate step, but that'd be cool I think.

Along those lines I was thinking maybe there should be other ways to integrate cities, either into Empires or principalities, or provinces or something. This would really cut down on the tedium and slowness of larger areas with less population being such a chore to manage if you could nationalise a desert area with 6 low pop cities, and then they can actually PRODUCE a worker in a reasonable length of time, instead of producing 6 1/6 complete workers.

Over time with more tech (and infrastructure?) you could integrate more cities too, like IRL how the Railroad and later telecommunications allow broader areas to share identities that they couldn't before.

Top Bottom