1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing the Dead Back to Life

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by iggymnrr, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chando

chando Chieftain

I do it if the city doesn't have much in the ways of resources and I didn't have a bad relation with them before they were gone. Did with the aztecs this past deity game as Egypt, they had DoWed me a couple times, but I did not bother to conquer any of his cities(wanted science), just killed units and payed his neighbours to do the dirt work. They eventually give up and become friendly with "do not seem to hold a grudge". When I took on Big Russia who i belive was the one who ended him, i liberated one city. He didn't denounced me or anything. I waited to see if they would last long enought to make a RA with, but than japan killed him off a second time couple turns after i dicided it was "safe" to do a RA.
    I guess to make it safe you should liberate the Ai if it was a peacefull one(so, not Monty :) ) and preferencially on a location it doenst share borders with anyoneelse, and you can give one-two more cities so it doesnt get wiped out (those one tile island cities that you might get on pecedeals are good for that, as the AI rerelly knows/bother to conquer one of them)

With Citystates I always liberate him, unless is a realy good location/resource to my empire (good city trade route conected almost all within my borders, or has uranium and i have a worker nearby and I know they will take a long time to hook that up while I need it now)

2. Welnic

Welnic Emperor

The extra 100 gold is because you are in a later era than they are.

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I had a game as Babylon where I bordered Denmark with Singapore between us. Singapore was allied with Egypt, who who was frequently at war with Denmark. Around 1500 AD, Denmark had been at war with Egypt for some centuries, and they finally captured Singapore. Fortunately, the turn before that they had attempted to invade me, so my army of infantry and artillery and tanks smashed their forces and liberated Singapore. Denmark outnumbered me and my army was distracted by multiple wars, so he ended up retaking Singapore (this would be a recurring event), and I think I ended up liberating it like 4 separate times, giving me a whopping ~450 influence.

I rarely liberate actual enemy civs, as has been said they usually turn on me immediately after I do it.

Liberating city states is incredibly useful and fun. I'm glad that that mechanic is present in the game.

Actually, this isn't true, you do get a large amount of influence points (I think around 100 but possibly more) but if another civ had more influence when the city state when it was captured that civ will reassert the alliance. When I liberated Singapore, they were allied with Egypt until a few turns later when I got the Statue of Liberty for them, which boosted my Influence enough to displace Egypt.

Someone brought up the idea of a vassal state; I think this is a great idea, though I think that in a lot of ways it would be redundant with the mechanics of Puppets and City States. One of the things I most enjoyed about BTS and Warlords was the ability to make vassals of your weaker neighbors and create colonies from overseas cities. My inattention, causing me to mistakenly click "yes!" on the Civ IV pop-up where the citizens asked you to liberate the city caused many a reloaded autosave.

4. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Thanks for the responses. I thought the episode spawning this thread more amusing than irritating. Perhaps more amusing is that my memory of winning is gone completely. I know I did but how is forgotten. Domination, no, but it could have been anything else.

5. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

I like it when you liberate a city-state and you find out they're still allied to a dead civ. -_-

6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Just happened to me: I had Defensive Pacts with Ghengis and Askia, and Ghengis declared war on Askia, throwing me into a war. I nuked him to destroy his nukes so he couldn't nuke me, then crossed the mountains and took Warsaw, only to find they're allied to Egypt (this is the same game as before).

7. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

Once you have conquered another Civ entirely it is seldom important whether the world sees you as a warmonger or not. Just keep on rolling. They are next...