Bristol Palin: Hacked Email Led To Harassing Calls

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Bristol Palin: Hacked Email Led To Harassing Calls

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Bristol Palin said she received countless phone calls and hundreds of text messages when her cell number was posted online after her mother's e-mail account was hacked. Only one really scared her.

Palin testified Wednesday that she was 17 and pregnant in 2008 when her mother Sarah Palin's Yahoo! account was invaded after the former Alaska governor was picked as the Republican vice presidential candidate. Bristol Palin said she worried when a bunch of boys called, claiming they were at her front door and wanted in.

"We live in the middle of nowhere in Alaska ... in the middle of the woods," Palin said during the trial of a 22-year-old former college student accused of hacking the account. The trial continues Thursday and could last more than a week. Sarah Palin also was subpoenaed to testify but it was unclear if and when she would.

Bristol Palin said her number was included with a photo she snapped of her brother Trigg taking his first bite of solid food and e-mailed to her parents while they were away during the 2008 presidential campaign.

"I saw a screen shot on the TV," she said.

"I think it was Fox News," she said of the station for which her mother is a paid political analyst.

David Kernell was an economics major at the University of Tennessee when he was accused of hacking the account. He is on trial on charges of identity theft, wire fraud, intentionally accessing Palin's e-mail account without authorization and obstructing an FBI investigation. If convicted, he could be sent to prison for up to 50 years.

Kernell has not been accused of the harassing calls, e-mails and text messages that Bristol Palin and a former aide described to jurors. Kernell's attorney Wade Davies claims the e-mail intrusion was just a prank and has attempted to show the account was accessible to other people, was sometimes used for political and official messages and was not just private.

Testimony with Tennessee ties was given by Sarah Palin's aide. Frank Bailey of Anchorage, Alaska, a former Palin campaign aide who also worked in her state administration, testified he set up the e-mail account for Palin just after she was picked to be the running mate of Republican presidential nominee John McCain.
Story continues below

Bailey said after being notified about someone breaking in Palin's e-mail in September 2008, he had to act quickly to block further intruders. Bailey testified that he acted on a suggestion by his wife that he build a new password out of Peyton Colts.

"Just like Peyton Manning?" Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Weddle jokingly asked Bailey.

Bailey said his wife is more a sports fan than he is and he at the time didn't realize any connection between Manning and the state where the Indianapolis Colts quarterback remains beloved since his years as a star at the University of Tennessee.

"I'm embarrassed to say I did not," Bailey said.

Authorities say Kernell answered personal security questions about Palin, such as her having met her husband, Todd, in Wasilla, Alaska. Kernell is accused of resetting the e-mail account password, making screenshots of contents and posting some information on public websites.

Bristol Palin testified that she had to turn her phone over to investigators and went without cell phone service for weeks because she couldn't sign a new contract as a 17-year-old.

She said her number "wouldn't have been posted if it hadn't been hacked into."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/bristol-palin-hacked-email_n_547428.html

FOX NEWS :lol:
Jesus Christ is that hilariously ironic.

Kernell has not been accused of the harassing calls, e-mails and text messages that Bristol Palin and a former aide described to jurors. Kernell's attorney Wade Davies claims the e-mail intrusion was just a prank and has attempted to show the account was accessible to other people, was sometimes used for political and official messages and was not just private.

Just a prank... This is no different than kicking in the door of someone's home to force a way in, breaking into a personal safe and/or stealing personal papers from a desk or filing cabinet. I could lawfully have shot this guy if he'd broken into my home, just to put some perspective on his actions. I certainly hope he's convicted and spends a nice spell behind bars.

Stupid people should be protected by law from far smarter ones. If they aren't, they typically just look even dumber than they already are.

Link to video.

David Kernell was an economics major at the University of Tennessee when he was accused of hacking the account. He is on trial on charges of identity theft, wire fraud, intentionally accessing Palin's e-mail account without authorization and obstructing an FBI investigation. If convicted, he could be sent to prison for up to 50 years.
Yeah. That sounds appropriate for engaging in a harmless college prank.

Giving away personal details and accounts can cause a lot of harm to a person.

He deserves some time in jail, but 50 years might be a little too much, lol.

I don't even think he deserves any time in jail. The only apparent economic damage was that Bristol's phone was confiscated as evidence, she was under 18 so she couldn't sign a new contract and was apparently too good (or broke) for a pay-as-you-go phone, and her mommy apparently decided not to get her another contract phone for whatever reason. Boo hoo.

He violated them, as I said just as if he'd forced himself into their home, and the act should be treated as such.

Multiple harassing calls isn't as fun as you make it sound to be.
That must have been rough being too stupid to not answer calls from people you have never heard of before with out-of-state numbers.

And she could have simply changed her password to something not quite so obvious and had the cell phone company give her a diffferent number, as normal people would do under the same circumstances.

He violated them, as I said just as if he'd forced himself into their home, and the act should be treated as such.

No man, if you break into someone's home, that's a bit more serious, cause you are in a position to hurt and scare the crap out of people. Guessing somebody's email password is not nearly as bad.

Erm, 50 years? For breaking into someones e-mail account (And its not like this is impacting anyones political careers at this point)? Little harsh I'd say. Give the man a goodly size fine and send him on his way.

Just a prank... This is no different than kicking in the door of someone's home to force a way in, breaking into a personal safe and/or stealing personal papers from a desk or filing cabinet. I could lawfully have shot this guy if he'd broken into my home, just to put some perspective on his actions. I certainly hope he's convicted and spends a nice spell behind bars.

:crazyeye:

next: Man walking on grass next to a "keep off the grass" sign is sentenced for 10-20

That's easy to fix. Execute all murderers and child molesters and rapists so their crimes carry a harsher punishment.

I don't see how someone reading my emails is worth 50 years in prison. Comparing it to being violated is an insult to people who have been violated.

Only in America.

Top Bottom