1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Britain Europe's most peaceful country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by del62, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

The Daily Fail is a modern example of witch-hunting or 'Burn the Jews' (just more politely than that). If they keep pointing out external factors as to why their readers aren't entirely with their lives at all times, then people don't need to take responsibility for living in a modern multi-cultural country and can just blame the Muslims or the liberals or the gypsies or whomever.

2. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

I was hearing about this on the radio earlier today, and wondered if it would get a mention here. :goodjob:

Here's the relevant article on the BBC site (since del's link still doesn't seem to be working), and here's the website of the people responsible.

The most interesting thing isn't anything to do with the UK specifically (indeed, the stats may have been rather misleading there, since we're still above average in Europe's violent crime index); it's the fact that rates of violence show a very significant downwards trend across the developed world, regardless of the huge number of different factors which might normally be thought to differentiate countries from one another.

There are a whole load of possible explanations for this trend, but one which I found particularly intriguing was the idea that a reduction in the amount of lead we absorb (largely as a result of regulations on fuel, but there are other reasons as well) might be a factor. Apparently, there are studies which show a significant correlation between high levels of lead in the blood and violent behaviour.

As one of the psychologists on the radio said, there are undoubtedly a whole load of other factors influencing our behaviour of which we are not only unaware, but we don't even have the slightest suspicion about. Something that's worth bearing in mind when we see what appear to be 'obvious' explanations for the various things that human beings do.

3. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I have a few ideas why it's increasing in most of those countries. :mischief:

In unrelated news, crime in Romania is decreasing !

4. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Dude, you derp brain the Mail had the fall in crime in Britain as a lead story on its website when I last checked this morning :lol:

Such a witch-hunting paper that it reports stories which contradicts what you "percieve" to be the core DM line of uncorrectable moral decline. I don't doubt that the DM is full of crap, like Jan Moir but the left discuss the newspaper with such hyperbole and exaggeration that you would think its the cause of all problems in the UK..

5. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

What is this The Left and where can I buy it?

I'd like to read some of these controversial statements they make that Quackers is always talking about.

6. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

"Have you been murdered lately?"

7. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

:mad:
    Amsterdam can barely be called a port city any more.

8. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

The reason is most Poles have left Poland and commit their crimes in England. :mischief:

Sorry but I couldn't resist.
    Spoiler :

9. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Nah, that's just advertising to draw in the tourists.

10. Arakhor

My mistake then. I don't visit their website. as the comments on their articles are more painful than those on YouTube.

I admit that the Daily Mail is not quite as terrible as it's often made out to be, as sometimes it can even print out an article where its bias either doesn't apply or isn't creakingly obvious. That said, if there's an internal problem mentioned in the Mail, 10 to 1 it's blamed on cancer, Muslims, cancer, Europe, cancer, immigration, cancer or the Government. Did I mention cancer?

11. Leoreth

Haha, I had some fun with that site. Mainly because most headlines were hilariously nonsensical.

12. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Well why would anybody who has such strong opinions on the Daily Mail actually visit the site?

13. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Aside from the fact it's no longer a port city for a loong time (namely, since the Afsluitdijk), it's much more quaint than say any city in USA (#1). Still, in the Dutch popular mind, it is the country's capital of crime. Though it probably be worse if it weren't for our "tolerant Dutch" attitudes towards drugs and prostitution.

14. Arakhor

For constipation and mild mirth? Become someone links to it? I don't know, but then I don't as a rule anyway.

15. Leoreth

16. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Just FYI, the Daily Mail website and the Daily Mail newspaper are definitely not the same thing, and have taken rather different editorial directions. The Daily Mail newspaper is a worthless, lying, immigrant hating rag that no reasonable person, left or right, would touch with a bargepole. The Daily Mail website, however, is more like Buzzfeed -- a site that tries to attract the absolute highest number of visitors using [wiki]link bait[/wiki]: pictures of women in bikinis and/or women who were formerly fat but have now put on weight, "MUST SEE: 22 animals that don't like marzipan", and "Controversial new report finds women are attracted to gullible men". In other words, the Daily Mail website has dropped the right wing moralising and has just stuck with the classic tabloid strategy of getting people hooked on mostly harmless tittle-tattle. This has made the Daily Mail website one of the most popular newspaper websites in the world.

So, yeah, while the Daily Mail newspaper will spin stories for their right wing readership, the Daily Mail website will leave stories as open as possible, to attract the widest possible audience.

17. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Thats just...not true. Sure, it pushes the celebrity gossip and girls in bikinis to the right hand side what the Guardian calls "sidebar of shame". If you can peel your eyes off that section then the rest of the site is basically the print articles. They even use images they've taken off the actual print paper like here.

If you're feeling thats not typical DM, well then you can read this which fits Arakhor's description quite well.

18. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yeah, they also have the articles that were written for DM's print newspaper, but what I'm saying is that it doesn't surprise me that the DM website carries stories that would never appear in the DM newspaper, or that don't share the DM newspaper's editorial slant.

19. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Hilarity ensues across the comment sections of UK newspaper websites as left-wingers claim falling crime/violence stats must be false because neoliberalism and the coalition blah blah blah, whilst their right-wing opponents rage back that the stats must be false because welfare state and erosion of traditional blah blah blah. :lol:

20. Arwon

Arwon

That does rather create a methodological issue. But yeah for everything else population surveys tend to be far more useful a measure.