1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Britain Europe's most peaceful country?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by del62, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

The Nameless One swore audibly as he disconnected from probably the fiftieth baatezu marketing survey call to reach his crystal ball number that day.

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

CCTV might be a factor in the low crime rate?

I'm honestly thinking of getting my own for inside the house. Everywhere outside seems to be already covered, so if I'm indoors I start to feel rather neglected - as if no one is watching me.

Or maybe it's the cut backs in policing, which just meean that fewer crimes are being reported.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

+100 for Planescape: Torment reference.

4. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Why, thank you sir. It's still my favourite game. :)

5. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

There are also fewer people showing up in hospital with injuries caused by violence, as well as a clear downward trend in the murder rate. Some of the former is a result of the recession (drunken fights occur less frequently when people are spending less on going out and getting tanked), but the numbers seem to have been falling before 2008 as well (albeit not as quickly).

6. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

It's also likely fewer people get into drunken fights in public since they know that there are CCTV cameras everywhere and there's a good chance they'll be caught.

But have you got a link for the effects of lead on violent behaviour? I've not heard that one before. I've heard it makes people more stupid, though.

7. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

It's possible, I suppose, although I don't imagine that those who engage in drunken brawls tend to think it through rationally before doing so.

I heard it discussed on the radio, but a quick search yielded this article.

Note: I've barely even skimmed it, so don't blame me if turns out to be cack. ;)

8. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Looks good to me.