Britain's war against Michael Savage & Free Speech

:eek2:

:twitch:

I hope you're not serious.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be allowed to say what you want, I'm just saying that it's about time you started to value that freedom as it should be valued. Millions of people around the world suffer under tyranny through lack of freedom of speech: this is true. But when you use your freedom to instigate violence and hatred, to destroy what our predecessors worked to achieve, you make a mockery of those who gave their lives so that you could have this privilege. When you abuse your freedom of speech in this manner, it goes against the very principles that freedom of speech was built on in the first place.

To me this just screams that the OP cares too much about Michael Savage and would like to see him trollolol muslims in as many places as possible, because the OP also doesn't like muslims.

Rather interesting that so many people care so much about some fat, ignorant, hateful douchebag who cares nothing about them.

"Do not feed the trolls" applies in real life, too.

Moderator Action: Don't presume to know what the OP likes or doesn't like. Address the topic, not the poster.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

No, they are oppressing criminal behavior.
Not everything one can say is protected by the right of free speech.

"I hate my wife. If you kill her, i'll give you half a million bucks. I'm serious."

See?! That's not free speech.

Savage didn't hire anyone and saying "I hate my wife and I wish someone would kill her" aint a crime

Savage didn't hire anyone
Not the point. Hiring someone is just an example.
Strongly implying (to say the least) some kind of necessity is effectively just as good.
and saying "I hate my wife and I wish someone would kill her" aint a crime
You smuggeled the word "wish" in there. Which makes the whole thing ridiculous from the start.
And even without it what you wrote is not like my example at all. And it has little to do with what Savage said either.

if the guy didn't offer $$$ to kill 100 million Muslims, then the most he's guilty of is "wishing" or wanting their deaths. That aint a crime and it most certainly is not hiring a hitman for a 1/2 mil to knock off the wife (and that was your example).

It's in the title of the thread...
Free speech.
If the UK doesn't want that, that's their decision, it is true.

Free speech is a potential right guaranteed by a government to its citizens and residents, if it so chooses. It is not a right which extends beyond the borders of that state. The UK is infringing upon no right of Mr. Savage's.

On a sidenote, I recently saw Bill O'Reilly go after some group (Media Matters?) for trying to pressure Orbitz into dropping its ads on Fox. O'Reilly gave some speech about patriotism and letting people speak freely yada yada yada and read a viewer's email about using Orbitz in the future for standing up to the left. This was not Fox' attitude when the Dixie Chicks were under attack, nope... O'Reilly was not defending them with rants about patriotism and free speech. The stench of hypocrisy at Fox would repel starving vultures...

On a sidenote, I recently saw Bill O'Reilly go after some group (Media Matters?) for trying to pressure Orbitz into dropping its ads on Fox. O'Reilly gave some speech about patriotism and letting people speak freely yada yada yada and read a viewer's email about using Orbitz in the future for standing up to the left. This was not Fox' attitude when the Dixie Chicks were under attack, nope... O'Reilly was not defending them with rants about patriotism and free speech. The stench of hypocrisy at Fox would repel starving vultures...

You'll notice he never went after Linda Rhondstadt for saying the same thing the Dixie Chicks said, and neither did I. The difference? Linda did it on home soil. The Dixie Chicks felt they had to go to a foreign land to bash the USA. I've not bought a single album of theirs since, and that's too bad because they are quite talented little 'traitors'.

A Dixie Chick didn't bash the USA, she lamented being from the same state as Bush. How do you equate Bush with the USA? And how in the hell do you call someone a traitor for disliking Bush? And what exactly did Linda say (it sure wasn't what the Dixie Chick said) and did O'Reilly defend her like he did Orbitz? Where the speech occurred aint relevant... Fox is telecast overseas so their criticisms of Obama aint just on home soil. Its just a load of hypocrisy...

It doesn't seem surprising that Fox and O'Reilly would care more about somone boycotting, or pressuring a sponsor for a boycott, against them than against a third party. I think that would be true of anyone.

A Dixie Chick didn't bash the USA, she lamented being from the same state as Bush. How do you equate Bush with the USA?
He was our President at the time. Beyond our shores, the President is the face of the United States. It's never Congress that is burned in effigy overseas, it's our President, be it Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, whoever. In that way, I equate the President with our country.
And how in the hell do you call someone a traitor for disliking Bush?
Not the person, but the office. And I thought you would have realized the little ' ' around traitor implied I was employing some hyperbole with the use of that word. Sorry if you didn't catch that.
And what exactly did Linda say (it sure wasn't what the Dixie Chick said) and did O'Reilly defend her like he did Orbitz? Where the speech occurred aint relevant... Fox is telecast overseas so their criticisms of Obama aint just on home soil. Its just a load of hypocrisy...
I don't recall exactly what she said. Something about how great Michael Moore is and bashing Bush some. It was in Las Vegas IIRC. And yes it does matter. Irrelevant where Fox is broadcast TO, it's sets are here in America.

It doesn't seem surprising that Fox and O'Reilly would care more about somone boycotting, or pressuring a sponsor for a boycott, against them than against a third party. I think that would be true of anyone.

it aint about caring more, Fox has taken conflicting positions - boycotting some musician is patriotic but boycotting Orbitz is unpatriotic.

He was our President at the time. Beyond our shores, the President is the face of the United States. It's never Congress that is burned in effigy overseas, it's our President, be it Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, whoever. In that way, I equate the President with our country.

So how do you feel about Fox News constantly attacking Obama for the entire world to see?

Not the person, but the office. And I thought you would have realized the little ' ' around traitor implied I was employing some hyperbole with the use of that word. Sorry if you didn't catch that.

But its the person being disliked, not the office. What happens when the Prez sucks? Seriously, according to you we cant say so if some foreigners see or hear it? That makes the internet off limits too. I didn't know free speech had borders...

I don't recall exactly what she said. Something about how great Michael Moore is and bashing Bush some. It was in Las Vegas IIRC. And yes it does matter. Irrelevant where Fox is broadcast TO, it's sets are here in America.

Fox broadcasts all over the world, not some stage in London (or wherever). Thats an illogical argument, more foreigners hear Fox bashing Obama every day and you're upset over Natalie Maines?

Yeah, because she did it while she was overseas. Fox is right here at home. it doesn't matter WHERE they broadcast to, they say it here at home.

Just FYI btw, I watch CNN now. Fox has gotten too weird over the last few years for me, but that doesn't change my stance that since they're broadcasting from here, USA #1, that it's totally different than Dixie Chicks going overseas to hate on our country in front of foreigners.

Beyond our shores, the President is the face of the United States. It's never Congress that is burned in effigy overseas, it's our President, be it Reagan, Bush Sr, Clinton, Bush Jr, Obama, whoever. In that way, I equate the President with our country.
That is unfortunate. I usually like your country far more than your presidents. I never for a second equate the two. And I see little reason to be led by example by effigy burning lunatics. I think just the American members on this forum are more representative than your president. And I don't even believe said members are very representative since it's only the opinion posting on an internetforum portion of the US.

Or do you equate the two just to be able to say the Dixie Chicks (whom I guess you don't have much love for) hate your country ... don't answer that, because yes or no, you'll always say no. For someone's information, this "they hate our country" is utter nonsense. I bet they're not even real Americans amiright? ;)

don't answer that, because yes or no, you'll always say no.
I didn't mind anything in your post except that. When have you ever, unless obviously joking about something, EVER found me to post anything disingenuous? Disappointed at your assumption.

Top Bottom