Britannia

Airborne101st

Chieftain
This is the UK map from the official civ3 site; modified to have 8 civs from the Isles; All with historial names and are unique.

Attachments

• BritanniaReadME.txt
    759 bytes · Views: 219
  • Britannia.zip
    48.8 KB · Views: 503
Nice map, but there are too many resources I think. If you made some of them rare, there might be a nicer competition. Thanks for sharing.

It's the same map that is included in the bonus folders for Civ3 PTW with more civs. ;)

Did I go overboard? I wanted a lot of food for rapid expanion and large pop empires.
Great for pop rushes. I geuss I could delate some of the wheat.

Did I go overboard? I wanted a lot of food for rapid expanion and large pop empires.
Great for pop rushes. I geuss I could delate some of the wheat.

You did go a bit overboard. What you should do is instead of multiplying resources, if you want a lot of food, you should increase the value of the existing resources. Bump wheat up to say 4 or 6, cattle up to 4 or 6 as well, plus a shield or two, since leather and horn are major items in early production, and leather is still a major item. Cattle are really underrated for food value, as you not only get beef, but also cheese and milk from them, with cheese being the main way of preserving milk prior to canning in the 1850s. And leather figured heavily in technology and commerce in earlier periods.

Same thing with the other resources, make them more valuable rather than making so many. Then each resource is that much more valuable and more desirable, making it worth fighting over. Also you can boost the yield of the terrain as well, and the effects of irrigating. I have boosted the resource yield of the coastal tiles, and of fish and whales.

Since you posted only a .bic file, I assume that you do not have anything beyond the basic game. If you have Conquests or Play the World, take a look at TETurkhan's Test of Time scenario for more ideas about working with resources. You are more limited in the basic editor with what you can do to boost resource yields in the game.

Since you posted only a .bic file, I assume that you do not have anything beyond the basic game. If you have Conquests or Play the World, take a look at TETurkhan's Test of Time scenario for more ideas about working with resources. You are more limited in the basic editor with what you can do to boost resource yields in the game.

Oh sorry I have PTW, I just posted a version for standard civ III my mistake.

Oh sorry I have PTW, I just posted a version for standard civ III my mistake.

Since you have Play the World, take a look at TETurkhan's Test of Time scenario in the editor to see the various things that can be done with resources, to include having more valuable resources appear later in the game following technology advances. I have used a lot of his ideas in my various mods to the game.

I'm fond of that scenario however, it slows down my computer. Which my computer has no problem with huge maps with +16 civs. Always leaving me scratching my head.

I'm fond of that scenario however, it slows down my computer. Which my computer has no problem with huge maps with +16 civs. Always leaving me scratching my head.

It is all of the additional barbarian units that he added, with the pirate ships and the African tribes, I generally run it with only half the maximum number of civilizations to avoid a computer slow down.

It is all of the additional barbarian units that he added, with the pirate ships and the African tribes, I generally run it with only half the maximum number of civilizations to avoid a computer slow down.

I had a situation with this map where I wanted to have almost 32 civs in game, so I went through and deleted each pre-placed barbarian unit and camp. The map now runs reasonably fast now, with only 1 to 2 minutes IBT tops in the late game with around 24 civs.

Barbs do get generated when people advance between ages, etc, but they're not slowing the map down quite as much now. ;)

I had a situation with this map where I wanted to have almost 32 civs in game, so I went through and deleted each pre-placed barbarian unit and camp. The map now runs reasonably fast now, with only 1 to 2 minutes IBT tops in the late game with around 24 civs.

Barbs do get generated when people advance between ages, etc, but they're not slowing the map down quite as much now. ;)

I prefer to keep the barbarians, and reduce the number of civilization opponents. That way I have time to expand and develop more fully before running into problems.

Top Bottom