"British museum" only works in cities founded by England

ExpiredReign

Deity
In the current game I am playing as England and early on I captured cities, and then eliminated Kongo from the game.
This was a very long time from when museums could be built so neither of those cities already had them.
So it is now late in the game and I am well on my way to a culture victory and I wanted to build another Archaeological Museum in the once Kongolese capital.

Upon completion this museum only has slots for 3 relics, not 6 as the British ability provides.
All indicators in the game show these cities are "British". I didn't have them ceded to me, in fact there was no-one to cede them as Kongo was eliminated.
None of the other AI are displeased with me for warmongering or occupying another's city yet apparently they are not.

In the current game I am playing as England and early on I captured cities, and then eliminated Kongo from the game.
This was a very long time from when museums could be built so neither of those cities already had them.
So it is now late in the game and I am well on my way to a culture victory and I wanted to build another Archaeological Museum in the once Kongolese capital.

Upon completion this museum only has slots for 3 relics, not 6 as the British ability provides.
All indicators in the game show these cities are "British". I didn't have them ceded to me, in fact there was no-one to cede them as Kongo was eliminated.
None of the other AI are displeased with me for warmongering or occupying another's city yet apparently they are not.

The converse is true as well. After capturing an England city I built an archeological musuem with 6 relic slots.

The converse is true as well. After capturing an England city I built an archeological musuem with 6 relic slots.

Oh well that's not good, definitely a broken system then. I was thinking you may get away with captured English cities retaining all their relic slots, but being able to construct them and get 6! Crazy.

I decided to play some england fast victory game and when i reached Archeology and built seveal museums i rezlized that 6slots for artifacts works exclusively for my capital, museums in other cities still contained only 3 slots :( Thats frustrating. Maybe i am missing something in UA description but i am pretty sure this does not work properly.

That's weird. Must have been the patch because in my games before the patch, everything worked as intended. Even better, one archeologist was enough to grab 6 artifacts instead of 2x3 like in the description.

Its bugged only cities England settled get the 6 slot museum...regardless of who owns them
Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

That's weird. Must have been the patch because in my games before the patch, everything worked as intended. Even better, one archeologist was enough to grab 6 artifacts instead of 2x3 like in the description.

Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting.

Also, the museum isn't automatically themed. You actually need to get 6 artifacts from different civilizations to get the theming bonus.

However, this is slightly easier since the game still seems to be bugged in that only Ancient artifacts exist. I have never seen anything from any other era.

Is this a confirmed bug? Is there a thread? I've just had a game and a few things surprised me:

1: As the OP said, conquered cities only have 3 slots. If this is by design, its not documented.

2: You can build two Archaeologists and each has 6 charges if their home city has 6 slots. I thought the intention was 3 charges each? If the museum is filled before the second one can use all his charges, he vanishes. I suppose that is expected, but a huge waste of hammers. Again, if this is by design, its not documented.

3: Any 6 artifacts displays 'themed' as expected but do you actually get the bonus? My output seemed low even with Leaky but I think its right assuming the below is correct. Whats the intended calculation with and without Mary Leaky? See my best guess below:

Artifacts have three base tourism (9 with Mary Leaky) so - ((3 x 6) x 2) = 36 or ((9 x 6) x 2 ) = 108 - with the + 100% civic that gives you 72 or 216 respectively (assuming it goes on top of the final result). My London museum was giving 216 so I think its working as intended but the calculations aren't clear.

Moderator Action: Merged with existing Bug Reports thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a confirmed bug? Is there a thread? I've just had a game and a few things surprised me:

1: As the OP said, conquered cities only have 3 slots. If this is by design, its not documented.

2: You can build two Archaeologists and each has 6 charges if their home city has 6 slots. I thought the intention was 3 charges each? If the museum is filled before the second one can use all his charges, he vanishes. I suppose that is expected, but a huge waste of hammers. Again, if this is by design, its not documented.

3: Any 6 artifacts displays 'themed' as expected but do you actually get the bonus? My output seemed low even with Leaky but I think its right assuming the below is correct. Whats the intended calculation with and without Mary Leaky? See my best guess below:

Artifacts have three base tourism (9 with Mary Leaky) so - ((3 x 6) x 2) = 36 or ((9 x 6) x 2 ) = 108 - with the + 100% civic that gives you 72 or 216 respectively (assuming it goes on top of the final result). My London museum was giving 216 so I think its working as intended but the calculations aren't clear.

Is it 9 with Leakey or 12? (x3 or +300%)
Because that 216 could be 6x
9x2(theme)x2(policy)
Or
12x 3(theme+policy..+200% total)

I disagree... I believe all things here are explainable as designed and make sense to me.

many things are undocumented. I am finishing up a guide, will be a few more days as its a little complex and takes a lot of testing.

One has twice gained a Trajan city early playing as Lizzy. Both times the local builders built the museum with all these bally columns that blocked the view of half of the fine objects gained from the unworthy. Is it a bug?... I doubt it. It is a Roman City.

I have done many tests and they all end up as follows

• A full non-themed Museum = 9 Tourism
• A full themed Museum = 18 tourism
• A full themed Museum with Heritage = 27
• A full themed Museum with Heritageand mary = 54
• A full English Museum = 18 Tourism
• A full Themed English Museum = 36 Tourism
• A full Themed English Museum with the heritage Tourism civic = 54 Tourism
• A full Themed English Museum with the Heritage Tourism Civic and Mary = 108 Tourism
• A full themed Armerican Museum with heritage, mary and corollary = 108

This means all % are done on the base tourism value... otherwise they would go a bit silly... One surprise is how powerful teddy is, way outshines lizzie.

For Archaeologists......

Once you discover the Natural History civic you can build archaeologist.

When you build an archaeology museum in a city that city can then build one archaeologist If the Archaeologist dies another can be built. Once all the archaeology slots for that city are full you can no longer build an archaeologist there. and any Ar chaeologists disappear that are from that city. England gains 2, both are active until the museum is full. You do not have to build 2, 1 will do but in a competitive environment 2 is better and damn the production.

An archaeologist then goes out to dig up archaeological sites and look in shipwrecks for artefacts to put in the museum, spending 1 movement point to do so with immediate results.

An archaeologist has 6 movement points but cannot go through lands with closed borders including city states unless you have gunboat diplomacy or terracotta army.

An archaeologist is linked to its home city/museum. You can hover the mouse over an archaeologist to find this. All artefacts it digs up are only placed in its home town museum. Once its home town museum is full it will disappear.

You can stop an archaeologist from digging by closing borders if the site is with your borders, by killing it (war) or placing a unit on its intended site.

My London museum was giving 216 so I think its working as intended but the calculations aren't clear.

I have never seen this value in the tourism lens... is that where you saw it? It is important to understand where you saw it... any chance you have a save? there are other values taken into account after the tourism lens is shown but then you do not see the museum breakdown. EDIT: Come to think of I normally stop before computers... 216 will be correct with that. But you must have been playing as Lizzy to get it there, it would not show as teddy there.

Wrong way to formulate... all % off Base.

base for 3 artifact museum is 9.

100% of 9 = 9, double of 9 = 9

So base + themeing 9 + Heritage 9 + Mary 9+9+9 = 54.
As Englands base is double they get 108 at the end of it.
As Americas Bonus is applied later (not really visible) you get 108.
I need to check... I think computers is also applied here which then is 216.

Last edited:
I thought Mary Leakey was bugged. Doesn't appear to increase my tourism?

I find England better than America as England guarantees themed bonus while America might not get all themed. Also they have the royal dockyard which is much better than anything else America gets.

Mary Leakey didn't do anything when I activated her in one of my Victoria games. Provided no tourism increase.

yeah, but if England already build archaeological museum (6 slots) before you capture their city, and the archaeologist you build has only 3 dig charge, then you have 3 empty slots.
I play as Kongo and capture London, the archaeological museum with themed bonus make London flourish with tons of food, hammer, culture, gold, tourism!

Mary Leakey still not working apparently :(
Anyone having some solutions / ways to make her increase the tourism from artifacts?

Mary Leakey still not working apparently
She works fine for me, in fact she is much more OP now than she used to be. There was a time she did not work, now she seems to have both bonuses fine.
I am practically always playing England. I have never had an issue with this, in my own cities I get 6 slots and in someone else’s I get3, I am fine with this. My abilities to autotheme and have 2 archaeologists are my abilities only I have... good luck to others wanting to theme a 6 artefact museum, it’s more like a swap museum for other museums you want to theme.

Top Bottom