Broadway and (not) getting the Theming Bonus

It's relatively easy for to do it, just keep a musician until you build Broadway and then use that, the one you get from the wonder and a purchased GM will get you the bonus in one or two turns. The question is though, is that the best use of the GM's.....

Yeah, plan ahead. You can either get three in the Industrial era before building Broadway or get three in the Modern era. The three from the same Civ same era can suck if you didn't plan ahead, but are the easiest if you do because they're completely in your control.

You have no idea how annoying it is waiting for someone to produce a piece of art to trade otherwise.

Err... 3 great works of music with or without theming bonus will never generate as much tourism until the end of game as 3 such late concert tours will.

I used renaissance ones, which were definitely more likely to pay off then the concert tour they would ever provide.

That's a terrible idea. Oxford has 2 slots for writing, with a +2 theming bonus that is really easy to get (different civs, different eras).

I think you misunderstood what I said. I use Oxford for the Free Technology, since Globalization/Internet usually takes a longer time to research.

Probably the easiest way to do it is to put your musicians into guild slots only when finishing industrial era, so the first Great Musician you generate is from modern era (so the GP cost doesn't go up due to generating Great Musicians in earlier eras). In modern era buy one Great Musician from faith (also you need to switch to GM purchase only in modern era). And the third one will be from Broadway itself.

That's the way to go for the fastest theming bonus from Broadway. Whether it's the best use of them or the best strategy is doubtful, but that was not the question.

There is of course an option to get all 3 GM in some earlier era, but it would require some serious planning - like building Pisa in reinassaince + finishing liberty in reinassaince and generating one by yourself. It might not work and you'll be stuck with 2 from one era and a third one from other era - equals no theming bonus + the cost of next GM rises by a lot.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I use Oxford for the Free Technology, since Globalization/Internet usually takes a longer time to research.

I didn't. What I meant is that you are probably better off using Oxford earlier, for some similarly difficult tech to reach (say, Radio or Plastics), putting two Writings into it and use a Great Scientist for the Internet. I don't know whether the +6 (+12 with Airport and Hotel) is worth it to your gameplay, but probably is, especially if you missed out on one of the Renaissance Tourism wonders like Shakespeare's.

Broadway is bad wonder if you are heading for Cultural Victory. It increases Great Musician treshold without serious payback (little tourism blast). You should also aim to pop your first musician just after Internet (which is easy with Oxford). Combined with 4 musicians from faith. If it is not enough, you will have to accumulate 300 points of GM instead 200, which is time waste. I had this scenario yesterday (GE for Eiffel, so I have time to make Broadway...) and of course I had to wait for third GM (22 civs, 12 still alive, 5 civs with decent culture).

Top Bottom