1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

broken wonders/world projects

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by gdambrauskas, May 21, 2012.

1. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

I don't work with BUG, not that I hate it or whatsoever :D
    Just that there are still people who don't use BUG, K-mod is an alternative I believe.
    Thus, I made all of mine in default BTS, since it should be possible to convert BTS works to BUG, but it might not be possible for the other way round since there are some functions in BUG not in default BTS :D

Anyway since C2C has its own python programmers, it should not be difficult to transfer most of them, except that some of them won't work in C2C due to the compatibility function(forgot whats its name) which removes certain python effects

2. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

Instead of checking N or S, why not check NW or SW if it is going westwards?

3. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

I hesitate to suggest this, because I have too much to do already with multimaps and AI stuff, but a much neater solution to this problem, which would also be potentially foundational for other purposes, would be to simply (ish!) expose the game pathing engine to Python, so that you could ask the pathing angine to produce a route from A to B, with whatever pathing flags you deem appropriate (there are flags for own territory only, no enemy territory, and others)

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Fair 'nuff. I just noticed you had a lot of neat ideas and I feel C2C should be the one mod that incorporates just about all the innovation possible on the site... Wonders are just so cool to diversify! Anyhow, apparently our master py modder, DH has converted quite a few over already and I can imagine that if he ever starts feeling like he doesn't have much to do (lol) that he'll keep adding from content across the site like yours.

5. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

That part of the routine is to lay down the baseline of the railroad, so that each X coordinate west or east of the building city gets one square of railroad. Going NW or SW would double up the railroad around the obstacle. I've been working on the code, and the only major issue is what happens when the railroad needs to go backwards to loop around an obstacle (like a big lake with an overhang). I think I have a solution, but I will need to really, really experiment to get it right.

6. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Could someone write me up a list of all the early wonders that need their cost increased and then either post the prices they should be or just tell me a general statement of how much. Such as "increase all costs by 20".

Then I will go in and fix them.

7. AIAndy

AIAndy Deity

generatePath is already exposed I think but iirc it misses some more functions to query the generated path.

8. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Well, kind of. It IS exposed but it has two issues that prevent its use in this sort of role:
    1. As you say, the gnerated path cannot be queried
    2. It can only generate paths for units, so you have to have a unit at the 'start' to even try to use it (internally I had already added a method called generateHypotheticalPath() which doesn't have this restriction, but it's not exposed currently to Python)

9. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

From the feedback I've been getting from JosEPh and DH on the balance thread, I think a good start would be to multiply all of the wonder costs by 3. I came to this conclusion because JosEPh said the on Epic his city could build the Great Wall in 7 turns. That equates (roughly) to 18 turns on Snail. I think that on Snail a wonder should take 70 to 100 turns to build (1/100 of the game time), and so multiplying things by 3 would be a good start. We can always test and change it if it is not good, but what we have now is just far too fast to build.

10. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Not all wonders are wrong. Also there are two tags that need looking at one is cost (iCost) and the other relates to era and does some multiplication. I can't remember if it is iAssets or iPower sometimes changing the latter by 1 will change the actual game cost to a better value based on game difficulty etc.

Platyping's Cyrus Tomb is about right at 12-17 turns where as the Oracle and Great Wall are not at 4-6 turns.

11. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

OK, well then some will need more multiplication than others. On Snail, as I said before, I'd like to have wonders take 70-100 turns to make (except for Prehistoric ones, those can be a bit shorter). I'll see what that translates to in terms of hammer cost.

12. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I am saying don't change hammer cost, change iPower or iAsset they make the cost scale to game difficulty etc.

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

So ...

- Oracle
    - Great Wall

What else? Stonehenge, Great Pyramids, Terracotta Army?

Please make a list for me you guys.

14. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

If I make a list I may as well do it myself. Use Koshling's ML scanner and get a list of all buildings with cost asset and power. Unfortunately you can't just get the wonders that way.

15. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I think you mean eternity. At the moment its like 7-10 turns on snail so that'd be a 10 fold increase - that seems excessive lol

16. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yea. A wonder should only take half a golden age.

17. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Well, a Golden Age increases your hammer output a good bit. I took the 70-100 turn number as being 1% of the total game turns, as IIRC we have ~100 Great Wonders.

18. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I think you should just increase the wonder cost across the board (maybe some exceptions) by like 50-70% you might also want to reduce the bonuses you get from stone etc. Double speed with stone is ridiculous in my opinion, should be more like 25%. Let me clarify, its ridiculous in terms of how fast you can therefore build the wonder. It might be realistic in terms of some wonders intuitively need stone etc but in terms of balance and gameplay- being about to reduce the wonder cost by half is too much.

Think about it this way, if a wonder would take me 100 turns to build but I could alternatively build say 30 buildings instead.. the choice is pretty bloody obvious.. It would have to be one spectacular wonder ;)

19. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

Actually, if you count Cultures and Corporations, we're getting close to 400. I count 398 at the moment, and we will be at 399 once I finish the touch-ups to Pocket Monsters League HQ and update the SVN. Only 32 of those are mine.

20. Vokarya

Vokarya Deity

By the way, if you're going to tweak Oracle (and you should, it's way too cheap at the moment), could you also move it to the Divination tech? I think we discussed moving Oracle in the Tech Tree thread.