Brothels now legal in Canada

However, I believe that forbidding those women from partaking in it is an acceptable price in order to ensure that women who are pressured/forced into it (whether due to financial or other reasons) cannot engage in it.
But it doesn't do that. It just makes their lives even worse.

And what about dude prostitutes? You can't just say "oh I mean men too" because the whole narrative of protecting women from their own bad decision making is quite a gendered one.

Both? Societal, financial, psychological pressures can lead someone to do something exploitative "freely".

Any other job only requires your time. The issues of capitalism cannot be addressed directly, but they can be denied from affecting women in such a manner.

Selling your body in this regard is a psychological venture that no woman should be forced into, even of her own free will.

So... someone is being exploited even if they don't think or feel like they're being exploited?

What does "exploitation" mean to you, exactly? What is does "psychological venture" mean beyond "affects your mental state", since all forms of work affect your mental state?

It's been prohibited most places in the US for the past century. There's no less of it because of that. It's just less safe for the prostitutes themselves.

But it doesn't do that. It just makes their lives even worse.

So we just give up then? We fail at preventing this bad thing, so we make it legal so that it's a bit better?

I disagree in principle. Address the cause of the problem, not the symptom. Legalizing it is easing the symptoms.

You can't just say "oh I mean men too"

Yes I can. If you don't like it, then copy-paste all of my posts in Microsoft Word, and Find & Replace "her" to "him or her", "she" to "he or she", etc...

So... someone is being exploited even if they don't think or feel like they're being exploited?

Correct.

Or are you OK with brainwashing?

What does "exploitation" mean to you, exactly? What is does "psychological venture" mean beyond "affects your mental state", since all forms of work affect your mental state?

Yes, all forms of work affect your mental state. However, sex has a greater psychological effect than shuffling papers around an office does. There's a massive difference between working a job because you have to, and being a prostitute because (one way or another) you have to.

If prostitution paid the same as a regular job and regular jobs were freely available, then prostitution should be legal. If it were possible to instantly offer a prostitute alternate employment for the same money before engaging in prostitution, then prostitution should be legal. If every single person were provided for a basic standard of living without having to do anything, and any additional labour or work in an industry just provided extra money beyond that, then prostitution should be legal.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Still seems very very muddle headed.

If prostitution paid the same as a regular job and regular jobs were freely available, then prostitution should be legal.
Why should the price have to come down to legalize it? Should we outlaw investment banking until the compensation comes down?

Why should the price have to come down to legalize it? Should we outlaw investment banking until the compensation comes down?

If investment banking had the massive potential to be emotionally and psychologically traumatic on a regular basis.

The entire reason it should be illegal is that people might be doing it for the money instead of the profession.

That's the same with any crap job. And there's pretty big risks associated with many jobs. Social work. Manual labour. Private security.

We fail at preventing this bad thing, so we make it legal so that it's a bit better?
Yes.

Of course more should be done to protect people, but just because we are unwilling to go all the way doesn't mean we shouldn't take the first step.

Allowing prostitution harm nobody and benefits many. It should be done right now.

defiant, "regular job" is a very broad term.

If investment banking had the massive potential to be emotionally and psychologically traumatic on a regular basis.

The entire reason it should be illegal is that people might be doing it for the money instead of the profession.
Investment banking has massive potential to be emotionally and psychologically traumatic. Same for lawyering for that matter - levels of alcoholism and depression are high. Some people do it for the money rather than for the sake of the profession.

Wall St. has caused alot more suffering than prostitutes have.

The point is that once we have determined that prostitution is wrong, our resources and focus should be on its prevention. We don't change laws just because they're hard to enforce (or rather shouldn't).
Have you determined that this is the case? As far as I can see, you've only made an argument against wage labour as such, and while it's one that I'm certainly on board with, you haven't really given us any reason to single out sex work as uniquely objectionable, or why our response should be prohibition.

If men aren't entitled to an opinion on the matter, then why are you flapping your gob about it? :huh:

Have you determined that this is the case? As far as I can see, you've only made an argument against wage labour as such, and while it's one that I'm certainly on board with, you haven't really given us any reason to single out sex work as uniquely objectionable, or why our response should be prohibition.

I thought Defiant was quite clear in outlining that sex work, in particular, has a proclivity towards abuse and belittlement of women. The pimps and whatnot.

That seems to me a difference of degree, not of kind. Sex workers are not the only women to face denigration in work, nor is their denigration purely gendered. I don't disagree that these issues are significantly more pronounced in sex work than in most other forms of employment, and so demand special attention, but to proclaim that it needs to be uniquely met with the full force of state repression is a leap of logic that nobody has yet take the time to support.

I thought Defiant was quite clear in outlining that sex work, in particular, has a proclivity towards abuse and belittlement of women.
Stop such patronizing, sexist remarks! :gripe:

Spoiler :
(or are they seksist?) :mischief:

Nevada has brothels, so that's one part of each country. I certainly disapprove morally, but I'm a bit on the fence about whether or not it should be legal.

It's morally wrong to have more legislative rights for your own body?

Top Bottom