1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

BTS and Civ Revolution

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Hyoga, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Hyoga

Hyoga Chieftain

Now I know that it's still way too early to quite begin talking about the newly announced Civilization Revolution, but I'm just wondering exactly what this will mean for BTS?

I mean, we can expect Revolution to be different somewhat from Civ IV BTS, but still fundamentally the same. The question is, how much stuff will Revolution have that Civ IV will only get with Civ V?

I mean, if Revolution introduces some great new mechanics or concepts that just have to be in the root franchise (Civ IV), then how will it be made available? And when?

Having to wait a long time to get already existing and applied content won't mesh well with those of us that are true to the PC version of the franchise.

Essentially, I feel that any good mechanic or concept that is included in a Civ title should always be available to the main Civ continuity game. Civilization Revolution is still Civilization, and if Civilization IV lacks good content that is available in Civ Rev, then it needs to be added.

It doesn't have to be free, but there needs to at least be a cheap purchasable patch that we can buy to get the improvements and innovations that Civ Rev provides.

It doesn't make sense to keep something that would greatly improve the mother franchise Civ game (Civ IV), unavailable to it. We'd all feel cheated if we had to wait until Civ V arrived for us to get those innovations, because we know Civ V is a long way away...

So I guess what it comes down to is: being released so much later in the future, how much stuff will Civ Rev have that BTS does not have? And will we be able to get it in some form of patch or expansion soon after Civ Rev's release?

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

The two have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. BtS is an expansion for the PC-based Civ line. Revolutions is a dumbed-down, sexed-up action game for console kiddies.

3. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Everything I've seen about Civilization Revolution so far is that it's Civ IV Lite.

It's going to be geared to console players. Any gameplay changes will be done in order to make the game faster. Expect fewer techs, wonders, and buildings. Expect a much simpler diplomacy system. I doubt religion or corporations will be in there. Only 16 Civs. Etc.

In other words, those with Civ IV Vanilla already have a better game than Civilization Revolution.

4. Hyoga

Hyoga Chieftain

Which, personally, is how I feel it should be.

But Civ Rev won't be out until Spring '08. That gives Firaxis a lot of time to think of new things that they should have included with BtS.

I don't expect Civ Rev to be better, I just don't want any innovations to pass us by.

5. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

I expect Civ Revolution to be a good game and I imagine it will add some new features to Civilization. I imagine the Advisers will be more interactive. Console games are just different from PC games; I personally can't imagine Civ being better on a console than on a PC, but I still would love to try it.

By the way, I called that Firaxis was working on a console version of Civ months ago :) I guess it wasn't that amazing of a prediction, the signs were all around...

6. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Unless you consider "real-time interaction with leaders" (i.e., fiddling with Cleopatra's enormous breasts) to be a key innovation, I wouldn't worry too much.

7. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Dude, that would be like totally awesome. I'm so glad they're putting that in there ...

oh wait, you were kidding. Uh, I knew that. :blush:

In all seriousness, I imagine the only innovations we'll be seeing is graphical. But even that won't be a huge leap over what we have now.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

it sounds like an RTS, and yet at the same time it sounds like its not... perhaps the genuises of Firaxis figured out a way to get the best of RTS AND Turn-Based!!!

on a more seriuos note, look at the screenies. they are seriuosly "pop culture-ish", ridiculously so. take the barbarian pic for example. he looks more like from some fantasy game than civ. it seems that this may be a weird offshoot of Civilization. but we'll find out...

9. RedRalph

RedRalph Chieftain

Doooooh.... is this likely to push back C5?

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Mmm...tasty!

Probably ... although to be honest, my hope is that :please: instead of jumping into Civ V after this, they release another X-Pack while waiting for the 'impact' of Revolution to shake out.

11. Titus001

Titus001 Chieftain

12. Andrew_Jay

Andrew_Jay Chieftain

:lol:

There is absolutely no gameplay in that video. It's a trailer.

I'm looking forward to Revolution. It sounds like it could be fun. Civilization has never had a great deal of realism anyway, so it's not like it's going to lose a whole lot in the translation. I'm just disappointed to hear that a Wii version is out - that would have had great controls.

13. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

I suspect that revolution will remove a lot to make it geared towards joystick game play, as well as multiplayer. As it stands now, Civ 4 MP games have a very specific play style that doesn't really permit the full use of certain SP features anyway. Religion comes to mind as something that's relatively useless in MP.

14. Saim

Saim Chieftain

Why no Wii version?

That's probably the most idiotic... Wii is doing the best!