BtS Babylon UHV

Interesting. I was able to get Babylon my first attempt with version 1.0 (out of the box)

Haven't tried since.

I did use Pottery--> Writing and beat the Chinese to it (I guess).

You were able to get Writing first by researching Archery before Pottery and Writing? Damn that is lucky!

I'd say that is viceroy settings. You can research about anything then and still win. I use Pottery->Writing->Priesthood->Masonry->Monarch->Animal Husbandry->CoL->Construction. I just tried this several times on monarch and it's not even crap shoot.... 15-16 starts and never first to writing?

The culture and pop part is almost too easy. Build warrior->warrior switch to stone/forest at pop 2. Then rally on the cotton and raze Delhi 1 turn after you get beat to writing! :lol:

I must have played Babylon on BTS for 10+ hours. Lots of times I can't beat Stonehenge's culture (usually built in China or Egypt no matter how hard I try). So I tried using artists from Caste system but always fell short of the 9 pop (to beat the Hanging Gardens usually built by China).
Delhi isn't really a problem because I send my first warrior over to Delhi (while getting the goody hut) and declare war right away. I sit on the wheat right east to the marble and this eliminates any possibility of an Indian Oracle, and Delhi is usually pop 4-5 only.
However, I cannot get to Egypt at all due to Jerusalem's archers who kill any intruders. Egyptian cities are usually not very big though.
China is the real competition and there's no way to get there in time.
The only way to beat them is to get a free tech (like Animal Husbandry or Math or even one of the Oracle techs). In my winning game I got AH and built both Oracle and Pyramids. Pop hit 9 and then I starved Babylon with 5-6 artists just when my food is almost gone. I was 2 turns from a great artist. I flipped Hattusas, Sur and Shush and got Jerusalem to rebel with my culture! (Beijing had Hanging Gardens, pop8; Niwt-Rst had Stonehenge, pop 5) 3 turns from the Temple of Artemis (chopped the tree next to Sur). Got a Winston Churchill score (I think) after exchanging techs with Greece, Rome, Carthage and Persia. :D

Nice but 10 hours! Babylon used to be the Civ id pick if I fancied half an hour of Rhyes and fall! :D

I may give it a try again im still messing about with ethiopia again.

Odd, I thought Babylon was the easiest UHV I've tried so far. I got to Writing and Monarchy first, used the oracle to grab Code of Laws, and owned Stonehenge, The Pyramids, and Orcale to easily take the culture crown. The only tricky part was balancing production with growth to stay ahead of Delhi in population.

(This was on Medium level).

I tried it twice (first time I neglected my population, and the AI governor tries to avoid growing when it will cause unrest, which blew the UHV). Both times the tech was really easy. I even had time to sneak in Masonry for Quarrys to make those Wonders, which gives you the culture crown w/o competition.

Odd, I thought Babylon was the easiest UHV I've tried so far. I got to Writing and Monarchy first, used the oracle to grab Code of Laws, and owned Stonehenge, The Pyramids, and Orcale to easily take the culture crown. The only tricky part was balancing production with growth to stay ahead of Delhi in population.

(This was on Medium level).

I tried it twice (first time I neglected my population, and the AI governor tries to avoid growing when it will cause unrest, which blew the UHV). Both times the tech was really easy. I even had time to sneak in Masonry for Quarrys to make those Wonders, which gives you the culture crown w/o competition.

Are you playing with the most up to date version? I used to think it was easy too until recently I found that if I build either a library or a granary I cannot possibly beat the computer to get Stonehenge. I tried no library and somebody always gets Monarchy before me. Maybe I don't need a granary??

Yeah, I'm using the most up-to-date version. I don't remember every step I took, but I think I built Worker->Library->Stonehenge, with a few turns stashed on to a Barracks while waiting for Writing.

I connected up the Stone ASAP, which made Stonehenge build extremely fast (already had the sheep pastured). Since everything is on the river, workers being able to ignore road-building makes it much easier to develop your land.

If you can get Stonehenge, you'll also likely get 3 towns in the area to flip to you before the UHV conditions expire. Although the one to your east may flip to Persia when they spawn, so I just had them make me a worker or two while I had them. :)

Perhaps I was lucky, but I was able to get the techs and wonders twice in a row, so it is possible. It's certainly easier than Inca or India - those two bludgeoned me into submission. :)

what was your population when you win? 8 is the most common for me(because if you tie in pop at 7 you don't win), and any time the Chinese build Hanging Gardens I have to get up to 9 before I can win, and that requires a granary which makes building the library impossible (because Stonehenge has to be the 3rd big thing I build, besides warriors to eat up the turns).

My population was 7 (could've gotten it to 8 if I'd paid perfect attention to food - was 1 turn away). Delhi was 6 at that point.

I'm not sure why China wasn't greater competition the two times I played. Perhaps some barbarians hindered them. Maybe my taking all the early winders slowed them down just enough. I do know that the one time I tried playing China I was getting hit by horse archers and elephants from barb spawns, which sure hurt MY progress. :) If I still had the save, I'd take a look, but it didn't seem that hard, so I moved on.

I never built any warriors, and barely built any military. In that respect, I was lucky, as Persia could have easily decimated me when they spawned, but I gave them the city between us and they never threatened. It seemed to me this UHV requires you to take that chance, since the production buildup is so tight.

This is a pretty tricky UHV to achieve. The closet I can get to getting writing is one turn before the Chinese get it. I'm trying this one and the Chinese one at the moment, and someone always beats me to Confucianism as China.

I've been able to erase Buddhism and Hinduism off of the map before they can spread. How does this affect the Khmer UHV? Do they still get a Buddhist missionary?

After reading some comments here I eventually finished it as well. The trick for writing it seems is to grow to size 3 - the probability of getting it is much higher (surely at least 50%)

research: pottery - writing - mysticism - masonry - meditation - priesthood - animal husbandry - code of laws (finished around turn 80)

production: warrior, start 2. warrior but change asap to granary, pause granary for the worker when reaching size 3, after the worker finish granary such that the later growth to size 5 already uses the granary, produce library while growing to 5; enforce finishing the library at size five using the wooden hill (and removing one food each turn while doing so), likewise handle the oracle (for monarchy), built the pyramides as fast as possible; just grow the city building warriors

The essential trick as already proposed by others is to adopt castes - the large mass of artists in the final 5/6 turns: this allowed for 517 :culture: at size 7; even though I never managed to get the wheat - the stupid city just never flipped

This only becomes impossible if Egypt founds Judaism...

Top Bottom