[BTS] Beer Mod

Gurra09

Emperor
Beer Mod
Download!

The Beer Mod is a small mod component including 1 new technology, 2 new buildings and 1 new resource.

I decided to create it when I found Duke van Frost's Brewery and Tavern buildings in the database.

New Technology:
Spoiler :
Brewing
Cost: 500 :science:
Requires Calendar and Monarchy

Buildings Enabled:
Brewery, Tavern

New Buildings:
Spoiler :
Brewery
Cost: 175 :hammers:
Requires Brewing and Machinery
Requires Corn or Rice or Wheat

Special Abilities:
Provides 1 Beer
+10% :commerce: from Corn
+10% :commerce: from Rice
+10% :commerce: from Wheat
Required to Build Tavern

Tavern
Cost: 120 :hammers:
Culture: +2 :culture:
Espionage: +2 :espionage:
Requires Brewing and Printing Press

Special Abilities:
+1 :) from Beer
Requires Brewery

New Resource:
Spoiler :
Beer
Effects:
Happy: +1 :) (with Tavern)

Buildings:
Brewery

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

Credits:
Spoiler :
Duke van Frost for the Brewery and Tavern Buildings.

Cheers! :beer:

Neat. About the espionage bonus... if I build a tavern, and my people get drunk, wouldn't it be easier for my opponents to send agents there to learn of my secrets? :D I mean, sort of an opposite bonus?

I don't know any good way to do that, but it sounds like a good idea...

Or maybe the Tavern could give -1 :espionage:?

Or make it do the opposite of the Security Bureau and change this:
Code:
			<iEspionageDefense>50</iEspionageDefense>

to something like this:
Code:
			<iEspionageDefense>-10</iEspionageDefense>

I had some thoughts about the +1 :) from Beer today...

A Tavern provides +1 :) from Beer and it requires a Brewery.
A Brewery provides 1 Beer resource. Then you have 1 happiness in that city.

One thing I think about is if two of your cities that are connected both build Breweries. Does that counts as access to 2 Beer resources in both cities? Because then I could build Breweries in all my cities and connect them all together and I would have high values of happiness in my cities...

And if you trade away your beer, does the happiness disappear then?

That's a few question I would like to find out about before I improve this mod component.

Gurra09

The way you currently have it set up,
Each Brewery produces 1 Beer, so each Brewery per city, would produce 1, yes.

However, you only get 1 Happiness. each subsequent Beer resource is just extra. Doesn't matter how many you have.
I think the best example is to look at your cities using the standard happiness resources. I believe they only provide 1 :) total, regardless of how many you have.

If what I think your are trying to do, is what you are trying to do. I think it might better accomplished using corporations.
Say make a "Budweiser" corporation, or something to that effect.
Consumes Corn, Rice or Wheat and provides Beer.
There is a truck resource unit floating around, this could be the "executive" that "spreads" the corporation.
Make Beer a requirement to build the Tavern. Tavern gives +1 :) with Beer and Wine.

Neat mod, perhaps give 'Budweise' the ability to consume beer, and produce 'excellent beer'(?). 'Excellent Beer' would give +2 happy perhaps.
Also: If corps can have movies, you have to have its movie be the lego Beer Song. Find it on youtube.

I thought about making a corporation from the beginning to and I still have some notes left.

Beer Co.
Requires Great Merchant
All Cities: +1 :gold:, +1 :culture: per resource consumed
Consumes: Corn, Rice, Wheat
Generates: Beer
Competes with Cereal Mills, Sid's Sushi Co, Standard Ethanol

Then, you will get 1 Beer from having a Brewery but you will get more if you have the Beer Corporation.

Then, I also thought about the art for Headquarters and Executives. Maybe it could be possible to reskin another corporation's Headquarters and Executive into this corporation. After all, the only thing different between the Headquarters and the Executives in civ is the corporation symbol. Which Truck unit do you think about, Edgecrusher?

I also thought that people drink wine at Taverns. So, as you wrote Edgecrusher, a +1 :) from Beer and Wine for Taverns would be good.

I will also create a button for the Beer resource, but I can't figure out how to edit the GameFont.tga files to put the resource in that file too...

Transport Truck
This is the model I have, I assume it could be reskinned to represent some kind of commercial transport truck, that could be the executive.

What I was thinking regarding the corporation was this

The Brewery "IS" the Corporation HQ, you build it once, and it provides Beer to the city. I mean, there is no need to have the corporation and the brewery. The Happiness doesn't stack, you will only get 1 :) weither you have 1 beer resource or 20.

1 Brewery per city will produce 1 resource at the national level, So if you have 20 cities, with 20 breweries, you will have 20 beer resources, that don't stack happiness, thus 19 useless resources. You could trade them, but the rivals can build 1 brewery per city also, they will have a bunch of extra resources as well. Anyway, thats why I thought, having the Brewery as the Corporation made sense. The corporation would provide it at the local level (spread by the "executive", this represents the distribution system from the source).

The Truck "IS" the executive that spreads the corporation to other cities. (In this case, since the corporation provides beer, they are spreading beer to other cities).

Then:
Tavern --> +1 :) from Beer, +1 :) from Wine, hell you could use the Tobacco resource for +1 :) from that as well.

You could always make 2-3 corporations that all do the same thing (each called something different), thus rival civilizations could found and spread, literally rival corporations. For the sake of argument say "Budweise, Heinekein, and Chimay" or whatever fictional pun names you thought might work. Each provides beer to the city, the only difference, is a different "HQ" would get the bonus from it, depending on how far the distribution network was spread.

These are only ideas, From what I think made sense. I dont mean to intrude on the mod. perhaps its my nature because I take beer seriously :)

I have one personal problem with the Truck as an executive, and that is that I use it as a modern Caravan in my own personal where this mod comp is included.

But if I change the Brewery into a corporation, then only one civilization in the world can get the Beer resource without having to trade it or get the corporation by a foreign executive. Is it possible to create National Corporations?

Maybe I could make two types of Brewery. One National Brewery, a National Wonder that provides access to Beer. And one normal Brewery, that has the +10% :commerce: from Corn, Rice and Wheat bonus. Then, Taverns requires Breweries that requires National Brewery. The Tavern get +1 :) from Beer and Wine and +1 :) that doesn't require any resource. The Tavern requires Beer or Wine to be constructed.

National Brewery (National Wonder)
Cost: 350 :hammers:
+2 :culture:
+1 :gp:
Provides 1 Beer
+20% :commerce: from Corn
+20% :commerce: from Rice
+20% :commerce: from Wheat
City more likely to generate Great Scientist/Great Engineer
Required to Build Brewery

The reason for the culture and gp bonus to the National Brewery is that it is a wonder and all wonders have culture and gp bonuses.

Brewery
Cost: 150 :hammers:
Requires National Brewery
+10% :commerce: from Corn
+10% :commerce: from Rice
+10% :commerce: from Wheat
Required to Build Tavern

Tavern
Cost: 100 :hammers:
Culture: +2 :culture:
Happy: +1 :)
Requires Brewing and Printing Press
Requires Brewery
+1 :) from Beer, Wine

Beer
+1 :)
+1 :) with Tavern

I'm thinking about names for the national Brewery and the ones I've come up with are: National Brewery, Grand Brewery, Large Brewery, Great Brewery.

I'll have the same model for Brewery and the national Brewery wonder but the wonder will have a larger scale.

Gurra09. First off, the Beer Mod is a great idea.
I have a question though. Presently I'm using a self made mod, which combines the Forrest Mod (author The Navy Seal) and the Gigantic World mod (can't remember the author now). I'm no good at programming in XML or Pyhton, but since both mods do not share files, combining them was easy.

Not so with the Beer mod. This one uses parly the same files as my combined mod (probably the Forrest mod part). I've got the Microsoft XML editor and have been trying in a dummy mod. My combined mod gets loaded about half way through and then hits something that sounds like a memory overflow. At that point, it gets a bit difficult.

So my question is this. Where could I read about combining XML files?
I would of course much like to combine Gigantic World, Forrest and Beer.

Thank you in advance, Rockstone.

I don't know where you could read about that but in the next version of this mod comp(which I'm working on now) I'll make it modular to be easier to incorporate in other mods.

So my question is this. Where could I read about combining XML files?
I would of course much like to combine Gigantic World, Forrest and Beer.

Thank you in advance, Rockstone.

Why don't you examine the files? XML is easy to merge. Just cpoy and paste the new section into the version you want to merge it into.

Okay. Mechaerik. Thank you.
I tried copy-pasting but that let to some kind of error. I'll try again and see what happens...

Just make sure that the copied section is between:
</xxxInfo>
and
</Civ4xxxInfos>, or else that will lead to errors.

Some notes to consider: As other people have noted, as a resource it might be best to make it a national wonder. Otherwise, make it provide +1 happiness. Other people have noted the problems with corporations.

Also, as far as I know no other building provides +commerce bonuses. This makes the brewery stand out when compared with the base game. In Fall From Heaven (where I think this building is taken from) this isn't a very big deal, but it's a noticable change from the rest of the vanilla/BTS buildings.

Top Bottom