[BtS] Diplomacy text: ActualQuotes for BtS

Willowmound

Wordbug
Version 4.20 (uploaded 2 March 2008)

This mod replaces the original leader-specific diplomacy text with text based on attributed quotes. Some of the quotes are famous, some not so famous, and all have been implemented as seamlessly as possible so as to become a natural part of the text. Many quotes have been paraphrased or tweaked to make this possible.

The way the game decides what a given leader will say when in diplomacy, is by choosing from a pool of generic dialogue and from dialogue specific to the leader. This mod contains new leader-specific text based on things leaders actually said (in the case of the more recent ones) or on how they wished to be remembered (in the case of ancient ones).

Many leaders have so many good quotes I've increased the pools of leader-specific text. I have also made some alterations in generic text in order to keep the overall tone of diplomacy consistent. There is still humour to be found, but some of the more juvenile jokes are gone.

For more details on the quotes and sources, please see the readme-file. I have used well over 300 individual, actual quotes, so there is quite a lot of new text.

NEW to v4.20:

- new extra quotes for Lincoln, De Gaulle, Pericles and Sitting Bull
- complete rewrite of Ragnar's text – no more rhymes!
- fixed issue that prevented certain quotes from showing
- did further tweaks of generic text – now even less silliness
- fixed a few typos and some minor style issues

Get the files here!

To use the ActualQuotes diplomacy mod, unzip to:

…My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets\XML\

Or, if you want to add to a specific mod only:

…Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier’s Civilization 4\Beuond the Sword\Mods\[YourMod]\Assets\XML\

Enjoy! :)

Other versions available:

For a Spanish translation courtesy of Terkhen, see this post.

Warlords version
Vanilla version

Version 4.20 screenshots...

Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

I love this mod. Thanks.

By the way, where do you find all these quotes? Do you really pour through all the relevant sources looking for something good? Whatever you do, it makes the historic and cultural nature of the leaders much more interesting.

Thanks for making an update for this. One of my more favorite mods because its simple and does not alter gameplay but vastly improves the experience.

Apologies: I seem to have put the thread in the wrong sub forum. Hopefully a mod will move it shortly.

Splendid! It's always a pleasure to see what you have come up with for these mods, especially for the more obscure leaders :)

Willowmound, thanks a lot for the mod. I'm wondering if Boudica's "The Gods are on our side in our quest for vengeance." should have a capital G for Gods.

Yes, I decided to capitalise God and Gods in all instances. It's what in the publishing industry is called a 'house style' decision. Neither is right or wrong. It's a matter of preference, and to some extent context.

Thanks for your input!

And thanks to everyone who've left kind words so far. :)

Yes, I decided to capitalise God and Gods in all instances. It's what in the publishing industry is called a 'house style' decision. Neither is right or wrong. It's a matter of preference, and to some extent context.

Thanks for your input!

And thanks to everyone who've left kind words so far. :)
Fair enough! Just thought I should double-check. :)

Whaddaya know -- we have a winner!

We won the modding contest over at GameFlood. The Warlords version of this mod got "Best RTS mini-mod"!

It's time to celebrate with a profusion of smilies: :dance: :beer: :cheers: :bounce:

A big thank-you to all guys who voted in the initial round. This couldn't have happened without you...

~

Maybe the default quotes just for Ragnor, or maybe real quotes from another viking leader which is easier to find. They're not great ideas but I really hate the poetry he's using atm.

Top Bottom