1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BTS FALLACY - Charles de Gaulle has NEVER ruled France!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Heinz Guderian, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Pottery

Pottery Chieftain

So what? George II of Great Britain, being from the House of Hanover, was Prince-Elector of the Holy Roman Empire too. So, by your peculiar logic, a king of Great Britain would be a more legitimate ruler of HRE than Charlemagne.:rolleyes:

2. Panda

Panda Metal head

Funny stuff! :lol:

3. diablodelmar

diablodelmar no comment

It's funny that everyone wets themselves over such historical precision.

4. Heinz Guderian

Heinz Guderian Chieftain

Interesting.. so, after all, you seem to agree with me that de Gaulle was NOT the leader of France during the period in which he was leader of the Free French Gov. in exile. A spontaneous question arises. Who else led France during that period? Hitler? Pétain? Charlemagne?

5. Will9

Will9 Prince

Napoleon was Corsican. So if he would have been born in the Iron Age, he would also be from a Germanic tribe (the Lombards) :eek:

6. Datian

Datian Warlord

As a matter of fact, historical precision is not required to assume that this "De Gaulle didn't rule France" is pure . .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

As the leader of the government in exile, he was legitimate according to most points of view (including mine) and actually ruled the vast colonial empire. During that time, Petain was merely a senile puppet.
    As the president of France, he was elected and ruled as much as a president in a democratic country can rule ; remember that the french government, although involving a parliament, is "presidentary" : that is to say that the president has much more power than, say, the german or even the american one. This side of french politics is one of the heritages of De Gaulle's rule : he took power only if it meant real, actual power.

Although the image of De Gaulle is indeed oversized, his role in the Resistance and the depth of his influence after the war cannot be underestimated.

Ah, and by the way, my historical sources are a bit deeper than wikipedia, since I teach contemporary history :mischief:

7. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

Hitler of course has occupied France... and thus lead it. Both Vichy France and Free France are offshoots of the representative France after the debacle of 1940. None are really legitimate to represent any independent France between 1940 and 1944.... for the simple reason that France was occupied.

8. Heinz Guderian

Heinz Guderian Chieftain

Louis XIV of France had as ancestors Charles V and Frederick Barbarossa, both Holy Roman Emperors. Had Louis been born earlier (as he does in the game), he would have become leader of the HRE instead of France. :lol:

9. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

If you take all European Monarchs since the middle Age, you'll realize that they are all cousins of each others.

Actually, all that fuss about the Holy Roman Empire proves only one thing. It is that "civilization" should be considered in its cultural meaning to make any sense, and the whole system gets flawed once considering political entities as such.

10. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

And let's not forget that Washington ruled a puny collection of only 13 states. And contrary to Wikipedia, he was not born in the United States, but rather in a colony of England! This is an outrage.

11. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

HEINZ GUDERIAN

12. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

^^
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Who says the French don't have a sense of humor? :D

13. Breunor

Breunor Deity

This was probably my favorite thread in a long time!

:)

Breunor

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I'm not laughing. I've seen that animation before.

And my 500th post. MWAHAHAHA

15. Will9

Will9 Prince

Silly CFC and what it thinks of as alot of posts.

BTW, this is strangly good thread for CFC.

16. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

17. Billy Bob Joe

Billy Bob Joe Chieftain

The amount of people that don't see the sarcasm in this thread surprises me. But then again, I suppose it's the internet, and there will always be some people that take everything seriously...

18. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

That's what this is for.

:sarcasm:

But anybody can sense it in this one. :D

19. Will9

Will9 Prince

20. GIR

GIR It'sNotStupidIt'sAdvanced

lol

best thread ever!