[BtS]Gross National Happiness

cephalo

Deity

Download here

This mod requires BtS v. 3.19

This mod is basically a subtle twist on the normal BtS game, except the only consideration in terms of victory and scoring are the happiness of the world’s people. Your goal is to accumulate happiness over the course of time. You get one point per extra happy face in each city, times the number of people in that city, times the number of years that the turn lasts. Unhappy faces work the opposite way and can actually lower your score. You might think that you can simply annihilate your opponents in a normal conquest game, as the last civ standing would obviously be the happiest, but there is a second component to your score used to measure your ‘benevolence’ in the world.

Your final end game score is calculated on a scale of 1 to 1000. This represents your raw happiness compared to the happiness level needed for victory, which is determined by a formula relating to the max population of the whole map. To maximize your score in this game however, you can’t just look out for yourself. Your final score is also averaged with every other civ that you have met; who’s score is less than your own! Therefore, to get a high score, it’s not simply winning that is important, it’s also how you can coax your less enlightened friends into being as happy as you are. It is entirely acceptable for a person to lose the game and still get a higher score than another person who wins the game. There is no bonus for simply winning.

In 1972 the king of Bhutan, Jigme Singye Wangchuck, was criticized for his country’s poor economic growth. He responded that his country preferred to focus on Gross National Happiness rather than Gross National Product. This may sound like a fairly typical political sidestep, but thirty plus years later, a study on world happiness came to the conclusion that the little country of Bhutan is indeed one of the happiest places on Earth, in spite of being one of the poorest! It’s rather difficult to argue with results, eh?

I thought this was an interesting priority for governance and I wondered how it might apply to Civ. It just seems too obvious to be such a recent invention. With all the different political ideologies that have come and gone over the course of history, did it really take us this long to realize that happiness should be a priority?

In order to make this work I did have to make a few changes to the game, but I wanted it to be fairly close to normal BtS. Another thing I changed unrelated to the happiness game was to increase the fun of the exploration game by make explorers a lot more useful.

I hope you like it!

Here is a list of the major changes:

1.)Goody huts are now important throughout the game, and increase greatly in value as the game progresses. This works well on PerfectWorld or any map that uses a ‘new world’ that requires ocean going technology to get to many parts of the map. An overlooked goody hut that lasts until the modern era can be quite valuable indeed.

2.)There was a bit of code in the DLL that caused a barbarian unit to lose its ‘brain’ when it walked on to a goody hut, causing it to ‘guard’ the hut. Clearly this was to challenge the player in gaining the reward, but the explorer unit can’t attack! This barbarian behavior always bothered me as it was the primary reason for the utter uselessness of explorer units. This behavior is now removed and barbs will not stop on goody huts.

3.)According to the study, the main conditions that bring happiness are education, access to healthcare, and economic growth. Therefore, some education and healthcare buildings produce happiness, and sometimes a lot of happiness. See the Civilopedia for more information. Economic growth tends to fluctuate and is hard to control, but this will also influence happiness on a turn by turn basis.

4.)The ‘Charismatic’ personality trait has been slightly modified, as it was a bit overpowered by its direct happiness bonus. Instead of +1 happy face per city, you get +2 espionage per city. You still get +1 happy for monument and broadcast tower.

5.)Hereditary rule no longer gives +1 happy per military unit, but +2 happy with the castle building. The tech requirement to build castle has been reduced to Mathematics.

6.)The ‘Free Market’ civic now pays 5% interest on capital. This might be overpowered in normal Civ, but in this game I think it works as money is less directly tied to victory in this mod.

7.)Added a few more happiness resources. The idea that things like gold and silver can make one happy is probably one of the great tragedies of the human condition, but in Civ, gold really does cause happiness! Fine. We’ll go with that.

8.)Added a new victory screen to help explain the game mechanics and give a graphical representation of the scoring system.

9.)The score on the main screen indicates happiness accumulation only, so just because someone is at the bottom of the score ranking doesn't mean they can't punt your puny civilization off the face of the earth if they don't like you! To prevent the happiness score from lulling players into a false sense of security, a little red exclamation point (!)appears in front of your rivals names when your power falls to 75% of theirs. When you see those you might think of boosting your defense spending.

Source code is attached to this post, all sections of code changed are marked with 'cephalo'.

All credit for the opening music goes to Jigme Drukpa, who is Bhutan’s national artist and also a member of parliament there. As far as I could find on the internet, he is the only recorded example of Bhutanese traditional music, so I sure do hope there is no objection to using this copyrighted material.

More of his music can be purchased here on eMusic. I bought the whole CD and I find it enjoyable.

Attachments

• GNH_Main_Screen.JPG
    GNH_Main_Screen.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 3,827
  • GNH Victory.jpg
    GNH Victory.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,956
  • CvGameCoreDLL_319 GNH.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
Instead of not having Barbarians stop on Goody Huts... what about just making Explorers have the ability to attack... they only have a combat value of "4", so how bad could it be if explorers could attack?

Instead of not having Barbarians stop on Goody Huts... what about just making Explorers have the ability to attack... they only have a combat value of "4", so how bad could it be if explorers could attack?

I dunno.....

Actually, I gave them another boost as well, bumping them up to 5 and 50% boost against melee so they could survive a bit better against macemen. If I made them attack, they might end up as preferable to axemen but without the metal requirement. So, that might not be so good.

I dunno.....

Actually, I gave them another boost as well, bumping them up to 5 and 50% boost against melee so they could survive a bit better against macemen. If I made them attack, they might end up as preferable to axemen but without the metal requirement. So, that might not be so good.
I don't think they should be able to stand up against "European Armies" so to speak... to me, the Explorer unit is a small band of guys with "modern" weapons. Their tech edge is good enough for really ancient armies, but their small number isn't enough to counter only slightly older tech (like Macemen).

I would say leave them at Str-4, but give them the ability to attack... you don't want folks using Explorers to attack other Civ's major cities or standing up to field armies, but they should be strong enough to pillage the countryside and take-out ancient civs warriers, settlers, workers and other backwards forces.

Another thing I failed to mention was that there is a slightly increased chance of something bad happening if you don't use a scout or explorer. I figure that even though the rewards are greater for goody huts in later eras, they're never gonna be worth sending an attack force to conquer them. That said, if there's a barbarian rifleman guarding the village, then the explorer again becomes useless even if he can attack. That's why I prefer them not to be guarded.

I envision part of an explorer's strength might be his ability to escape into the woods or something to avoid complete distruction, the numbers in an explorer unit are probably going to be much smaller than a regular army unit, so attacking probably shouldn't be feasable. (Even though in reality they sometimes did attack and even conquer.)

In any case, without hut guards, you can travel the seas and visit primitive tribes at your leasure with your explorer without risk of angering them.

Great concept. That's what we need, more victory conditions.

Gonna try it.

That said, if there's a barbarian rifleman guarding the village, then the explorer again becomes useless even if he can attack. That's why I prefer them not to be guarded.
Well, I always play with "New Worlds", and whenever I stumble on guarded huts after the discovery of Optics and/or Astronomey, they usually have a barbarian warrior or (at worst) a barbarian axeman guarding the hut... barbarian towns don't usually get past longbowmen by the Reniassance or early Industrial age either... but for the most part, it's still warriors (or the occasional axeman). I think that's perfect for an attacking default STR explorer.

the numbers in an explorer unit are probably going to be much smaller than a regular army unit, so attacking probably shouldn't be feasable. (Even though in reality they sometimes did attack and even conquer.)
Well, historically the entire Aztec and Incan civilizations were wiped-out by a handful of well-equipped explorers. You can NEVER recreate that ability if they can't attack, no matter what changes you make in the game. I like the thought that explorers can do SOMETHING on their own, other then run around and twiddle their thumbs. Waiting for new technology to bring entire standing armies over, just because there's one or two stray warriors or ancient archers floating around seems a little excessive and a waste of time. I'd rather the explorers handle the little stuff... if there's an advanced barbarian army with rifleman, then they'd definitely have to wait for a standing army to be brought over... but warriors and archers? Should be handled by a group of explorers... you can't do that if they can't attack.

Also... this mod has a somewhat different atmosphere than the typical Civ mod. It's kindof a feel-goody-let's-all-be-friendsy-kinda-sandbox mode where you don't even have to win (unless you want to). Yeah, you still have to defend your country and deal with 'bad actors' on the international stage, the most reward comes from dealing with such challenges in a positive way.

When your explorer arrives, the goods are handed over sortof willingly... technically speaking at least. Yeah, it's a complete white wash, but in this mod, the whole goody hut thing is a relatively friendly affair.

What... no wanton spilling of blood?!?! :D

What... no wanton spilling of blood?!?! :D

I'm not trying to cause a revolution(John Lennon style) or anything! I just thought we might try somethin different.:eek:

Perhaps a new explorer unit might be in order which has the ability to attack? Or maybe a promotion line for explorers giving them attack capability? Say if an explorer gets a shock promotion, not only does that give them +25% vs. melee, it will also allow them to attack melee units. And Cover promotions will allow them to attack archer units?

Perhaps a new explorer unit might be in order which has the ability to attack? Or maybe a promotion line for explorers giving them attack capability? Say if an explorer gets a shock promotion, not only does that give them +25% vs. melee, it will also allow them to attack melee units. And Cover promotions will allow them to attack archer units?
In my own mod, I'm just giving Explorers the ability to attack straight-up... by the time Explorers become available, an attack-strength of "4" is hardly terrifying to anyone but the most backwards of civilizations... which is the whole point of course... if you're fighting AI civs on equal, greater, or even slightly less tech then you, an Explorer is still dog-meat in a fight with any standing army... but it can be useful against extremely primative civs and/or barbarian forces... and it's primary purpose is the vanguard in "new world" type maps where it con do more then just go "Look at that warrior with a club... too bad I can't intimidate him with my modern technology... I'll have to wait till astronomy is invented and the rest of my forces can get here".

In my own mod, I'm just giving Explorers the ability to attack straight-up... by the time Explorers become available, an attack-strength of "4" is hardly terrifying to anyone but the most backwards of civilizations... which is the whole point of course... if you're fighting AI civs on equal, greater, or even slightly less tech then you, an Explorer is still dog-meat in a fight with any standing army... but it can be useful against extremely primative civs and/or barbarian forces... and it's primary purpose is the vanguard in "new world" type maps where it con do more then just go "Look at that warrior with a club... too bad I can't intimidate him with my modern technology... I'll have to wait till astronomy is invented and the rest of my forces can get here".

How does it test out? My worry is that the Explorer will become an overpowered worker poacher because of its speed, especially if it's given the Woodsman II promotion.

I uninstalled BtS last week and am waiting to get my BtS disc 2 back before I can reinstall so I can't test it myself right now.

Another suggestion: if an Explorer unit attacks it gives up the rest of its movement points for that turn AND an Explorer needs a full movement point left if it wants to attack. So if it has a Woodsman II promotion and only has a half-movement point left it will not be allowed to attack during that turn.

How does it test out? My worry is that the Explorer will become an overpowered worker poacher because of its speed, especially if it's given the Woodsman II promotion.
I've been playing with Explorers having the attack ability this past week.

The only gameplay change I've noticed is that "wow... it's about time Explorers have a use now" rings in my head.

In the first place... in a "standard" game, Explorers have little use because by the time you get them, most of the world is already claimed by other Civs...

Now if you play a custom map generator that forces "New Worlds" where one or more continents are untouched by player Civs, then Explorers have a real use once Optics come into play and your caravels can take explorers to the new continents.

What I found annoying, was that while Explorers could "explore", they couldn't touch anything with even the weakest club-wielding barbarian warrior protecting it... whether it be a weak barbarian town, a goodie hut, or the invariable "native barbarian worker" milling in the field... my European Explorers weren't even allowed to "have their way" with native women (no offensive actions allowed). Very annoying, and frankly unrealistic... European Explorers are well-known for pillaging the land, taking slave workers and having their way with native women!

Now you can do all of that with Explorers (well, except maybe the last part).

As for your concern about Explorers (I assume back-home in the "Old World") being bona-fide worker poachers? Well... I suppose... you'd still have to be "at war" with another civ... you can't just take a neutral or friendly civs workers away while at peace... and if you're at war with an enemy civ, he either won't have his workers out anywhere near your own forces, and/or if he does, by moving-in to claim some workers, the Explorer is bound to be putting himself in harms way from an enemy civ that is more powerful then just a wooden club or silly archer (not even counting the fact it only takes two promotions to make your own military troops move two spaces a turn through forests).

Will an Explorer be an effective "worker poacher" against Barbarian workers in a new world? You betcha... isn't that what Explorers do best? Exploit the barbarian natives? I would expect nothing less.

Frankly, giving Explorers the ability to attack and pillage, but leaving them with their paltry (by "old world" standards) attack value makes them the unit they always should have been.

I see no down-side at all, and it's a simple fix.

European Explorers are well-known for pillaging the land, taking slave workers and having their way with native women!

Now you can do all of that with Explorers (well, except maybe the last part).

Well, maybe you can have the last part as well. Perhaps if an Explorer unit successfully attacks an enemy city, maybe that could give the added effect of causing +3 Unhealthiness in that city for x number of turns ;)

In this mod, explorers don't really need to attack as I have explained, but I have a few things to say about it in general.

I have noticed when I play normal BtS with PerfectWorld, by the time the player is discovering optics, the barbarians are churning out macemen and also claiming large parts of the new world continents. I do often find macemen and worse guarding goody huts. An attack 4 explorer is not going to impress these 'New World' savages. :lol:

I have noticed when I play normal BtS with PerfectWorld, by the time the player is discovering optics, the barbarians are churning out macemen and also claiming large parts of the new world continents. I do often find macemen and worse guarding goody huts. An attack 4 explorer is not going to impress these 'New World' savages. :lol:
Well, then I guess you're not developing Optics fast enough (I always reach it pretty quick)... but EVEN IF you were right about Barbarian Macemen guarding towns and what not, not giving Explorers an attack capability (and raising their combat value) still leaves them useless at doing the #1 job of explorers...

Raping and Pillaging is impossible if they can't attack! (plus those free barbarian workers!)

I had toyed with the idea of giving the explorer a 100% bonus versus barbarians, but that was going to be alot of SDK work. You would need to set up a new XML tag and also write in a routine for the tooltip so you could inform players of the new rule.

Ok, I upgraded to 3.17 and tested a couple of games and the conversion appears to be successful. Let me know if you find any bugs.

Downloaded and the mod show up fine but crashes everytime I try to start a game.

Top Bottom