1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BTS has stopped working... Please help!!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by locky82, Apr 26, 2021.

1. locky82

locky82 Chieftain

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help. BTS has stopped working properly, it takes forever to get to the start screen and when I do get in, its unplayable! This probably started around Christmas - after searching around I think this issue has affected a few people, however I am unable to find a fix. I have an open ticket with 2K however they want to check hardware now, I've got an RTX2060, 16gb ram and a decent processor. They first suggested checking integrity of files on steam. Since then I get a 'Deleted files are removed everywhere' 'Recently deleted: CivilizationIV.ini.bak'. I have downloaded Civ 4 as I thought this might help. Civ 4 works fine but BTS is still unplayable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Not sure exactly why your BTS would suddenly stop working. We may not be getting the full picture, like mods you are running or maybe you've changed something. Anyway, I can give some general and Steam related advice for BTS.

(assumes you run a Win 10 system)

1) Installing Civ 4 vanilla is irrelevant with Steam. Vanilla, Warlords and BTS are all standalone with the Steam version. So if you just play BTS, you only have to install BTS.

2) I suggest reinstalling BTS. Uninstall BTS in Steam. Delete the BTS folders under steam/common and my documents. Reinstall.

3) Run the Beta unsupported release. In Steam right click on BTS > Beta tab > select "Original release - unsupported blah blah". Steam will basically reinstall the game again
    (Note: the unsupported release is actually the original BTS install. Steam created a new version some years ago to work with its MP system, but that version conflicts with mods)

4) Go to Steam/Common/BTS/BTS and right click the BTS exe >Properties > Compatibility. Set to run in mode for Windows 7. Also, check the "run as admin' check box.

5) Always run BTS from the exe. Do not run the game from Steam

Oh..and make sure you run Windows Update to make sure you have the latest version of Win 10.