1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BTS - Install on Vista fails without Error

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by BladeLakem, Mar 13, 2009.

1. BladeLakem

BladeLakem Chieftain

Okie, so I have vanilla Civ 4 on my Vista Home Premium system, and I bought BTS from GameStop and got their download version.

I downloaded their installed (1.32 GB) and ran it. The Install program starts up. It asks for a language and then gives me the first screen of the installer. I hit Next, and the window goes away. Process dies. No error message or dialog box. :cry:

I've sent an email into GameStop tech support, but no response. Here is what I have done:

• Run As Administrator (right-click)
    • Changed compatibility mode to Win XP
    • Done both of the above at the same time
    • Disabled UAC (already had it disabled)
    • Re-enabled UAC (just in case it mattered)
    • Enabled the real Admin account and tried the above from there
    • Started Vista up in Selective Mode with nothing on but Windows Installer
    • Uninstalled and reinstalled the original Civ 4

No Dice. Happens on multiple systems, Vista and XP. So there is something weird about this package, I think. Any suggestions before I start asking for refunds?

2. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Welcome to cfc :band:

my hunch is that this is a bad download - ask for a refund in any case gamestop does not actually support the game and there have been multiple people here posting problems with getting the patches and/or installing them...

That said: look in the windows event manager for any error logs that might have to do with the install - maybe they give a clue on what happens...

3. BladeLakem

BladeLakem Chieftain

Occasionally there will be a generic error in eventvwr, but not every time. So no real luck there.

Unfortunately, it seems I'm gonna need to get a refund and order a CD from Amazon or something.

4. ori

sorry without any hint at what causes the installer to quit it won't be possible to troubleshoot :dunno:

just make sure that when you run the installer there are no other programs running that might interfere (some antivir programs come to mind)...

5. RQRose

RQRose Chieftain

Mine wouldn't update either until I restarted the computer, closed all non-essential programs, downloaded the file from one of the file sites, and then loaded it with only that program running.

Then it uploaded.

Still haven't gotten the Mods to work though. GAY.

6. BladeLakem

BladeLakem Chieftain

yeah, there ain't much anyone can do with no leads. Just wondered if there were any non-obvious methods of troubleshooting it. Ah well. Thanks for the welcome though.:D

7. BladeLakem

BladeLakem Chieftain

Okie, I finally got an email back from GameStop's support.

This issue is that the Beyond the Sword you download from GameStop can only be used with the downloaded version of Civ 4 from GameStop. It doesn't work if you installed from a CD. Nice of them to tell me, after I bought it. I'm getting a refund at least.

8. Dagta

Dagta Chieftain

Wow, wish I would have read this thread before buying BTS from gamestop through the download.

I own Civ 4 CD, Warlords CD, and the play CD for BTS. I had all of BTS but my house was robbed and one of the BTS install CDs was stolen.

So I just spent another $20 on the same game and can't install it.

ugh

9. ori