[BTS] Julius Caesar of Rome

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Bruindane, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

"Epic Goals: Play it out, no retirements, no matter how bleak things may appear."

This map was originally used in the Realm's Beyond Epic 4 Tournament, :http://realmsbeyond.net/civ/c4tourney/epic4.html. The only win condition is domination. This might be an exceptional short game, as it is my first deity attempt and that I am a better builder than a warmonger.

I read a shadow report several years ago but don't remember any details except that the start could be exceptionally difficult. In any case with an update to bts (thanks sooooo) there are going to be differences.

Here's the start:

Raging Barbarians are on. I am thinking of settling on the gold plains hill, especially if I discover a resource in the northeast. My first build will be a warrior.

Attached Files:

2. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

:blush: I should have kept two warriors in my capital, with all the barbarian attacks, one of them was bound to overcome low odds. I'll return to this game another time.

3. Framesticker

Framesticker Prince

Settle on Gold?

NEVER!

4. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

Deity, Large map with low sea is very difficult to win. Some AIs can easily settle huge chunk of land and run away. If you have to deal with multiple run-away Deity AIs... M impossible.

Easiest answer to raging barb is Archery. The start location is very strong and you can easily unlock Heroic Epic. Warrior go onto the gold hill for a look, settle 1N looks good, super buro capital. Good luck.

5. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Deity

Why would you leave huts on on deity. o.o The AI is gunna bulb techs and be decades ahead of you.

6. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Spoiler map information :
    Isn't this the map without AIs on the starting continent?

I remember reading a report from Thawk in RB lands about it. Hard times in perspective :)
    I suggest u try until u get the great wall.

7. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I played this map until 1500 AD and lost. This was years ago, though.

Do you know the map spoilers? How much is safe for me to say?

8. VoiceOfUnreason

VoiceOfUnreason Deity

9. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

In my first attempt, my warriors went out to fog-bust and collect huts but were eviscerated by the sheer numbers of barbarians that spawned in 3800 BC. I plan on tackling the game again this weekend, but there are a few things I need to consider.

@VoiceofUnreason The Barbarian Challenge sounds fun, though I will leave myself unspoilt for now (in case I take it up after this experience).

@DMOC In terms of spoilers I know that settling on the gold hill gains wine in the bfc while losing a sheep hidden 2W1S. I finished bronze-working shortly before my quick demise, but did not spot copper. I did read a few shadow reports years ago, but having never played it, I don't recall any details.

@RRRaskolnikov Ordinarily I agree that the Great Wall would be the way to go, though given that this challenge was originally for Vanilla I will stubbornly forgo it here.

@Zx Zero Zx The map is essentially a custom scenario that came with huts on, though I agree it might make it even more difficult. On the plus side they will act as fog-busting points once barbarians protect them, at least early on.

@ABigCivFan I took a gamble that copper was in range, but I will beeline Archery on the restart as I don't think I could have built a mine let alone defend it as I initially hoped. 1N certainly make a nice capital site, which will be important if I can survive long enough to reach bureaucracy

@Framesticker I felt that the defensive bonus might trump the commerce, though I'll have to think about it further for the take two.

10. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

I settle in place, building a warrior while beelining Archery. Losing the hill defense bonus is bound to get troops killed, but a gold mine will support more troops later. The huts are kind netting gold and The Wheel before my warrior returns to the city to ward off the first barbarian attack. It is now 3450 BC (t22) with Archery complete and two warrior defenders. The plan is to research Animal Husbandry and build archers for defense. The city site to the southwest picks up fish later and more importantly appears defensible.

As an aside, any suggestions for image quality/size?

11. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

You know this is an excellent start to build the great wall. Raging barbarians have no effect then.

In fact this is an excellent start period

You can cottage over those spices for an hefty bonus in commerce. Once you reach calendar you may not even bother building a plantation on them.

When I think of what a sick start this is it almost makes me want to play it.

12. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Haha - very good scenario for the masochists! I think it will be far too easy with the great wall though.

13. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

I decided to go Bronze Working before Animal Husbandry in order to whip out a settler (taking advantage of J.C.'s imperialistic trait). I now have three archers and one warrior, losing one warrior defending the city. On the plus side, I've killed 65 barbarian warriors.

Antium will be the economic lifelife of the empire as it will be producing the work boats, workers, settlers, and later running scientists while Rome builds more troops. The plan from here is to research Pottery, Writing and then Iron Working.

14. ABCDPuppies

ABCDPuppies Warlord

Hmm, really interesting start. But as some others have suggested, why not beeline Masonry -> great wall? Seems like any improvements you build before then will just get pillaged, even if you do build a lot of troops.

15. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

It's a cooked up challenge map (the challenge was called "Rome vs the Barbarians") from vanilla days before there was a great wall! The whole point is to get out there and show those barbs just how good praetorians really are :devil:

16. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

I think the Great Wall is a solid option normally, though there are two reasons not to pursue it. The primary reason is that the scenario was created for vanilla civ which did include the option, and I don't wish to deviate from the intent of the original challenge. The second is that I am not sure I could build it before the deity ai, given the lack of improvements and workers to chop it out.

I don't mind any spoiler info about the success of building the Great Wall on this map, since I decided to forgo it.

17. Kid R

Kid R Emperor

Interestingly the barbs have not been given their normal deity techs in the save. If they're started off with archery it becomes a liiiiitle bit more tricky :D

Spoiler :
    Even so, hunting->archery->2xarcher->masonry->great wall seems to work fairly easily even with Rome founded on the flatland. I'll play it out later on and see how it goes with the Gwall (Changed to quick speed though - I've seen the amount of land we have to settle :eek:)

18. Bruindane

Bruindane Chieftain

It certainly was touch and go even without early archers. Busy weekend, but I had plenty of time to ponder options during a plane trip. I decided to skip Pottery (can't defend cottages, and want to build troops) and Writing (ditto) and head straight to Iron Working after Animal Husbandry as there should be Iron for Praetorians nearby given that there was no copper.

It takes a long, long time to research.

My workboat explorer went west and got blocked by ice, and is now headed east around the land mass. My hope is that I meet a civ with a religion as I desperately need a mechanism to expand my borders. I did however find two sources of copper nearby, one west and one east.

Prarie Dogs! Well, the big news here is that I have secured the south with 2 archers 'fog-busting' and settled a 3rd city next to copper.

And here's the closest source of iron. Not an easy grab... and look the barbarians are coming with axemen.

Not settling on the gold is beginning to look like a mistake, as I have not been able to mine it yet. On the plus side I have slain 188 warriors, 49 archers, 4 spearmen while losing one warrior and two archers. Not decided on my next tech, but I am considering Masonry (Walls!), especially if settle on the Iron. Other options are mysticism, pottery, and writing.

19. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I think the barbarians would kill Rome before the Great Wall would be built, even if it was beelined.

20. AbsoluteZero

AbsoluteZero Deity

Well I guess you'd have to tech archery first, but once you have some fortified archers and the gold mine up you could build it I'm pretty sure. I doubt if the AI's will beat you to it, their probably bogged down as much as you are.