1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BtS] Modern Warfare: World 2008?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by DVS, Apr 3, 2008.

1. DVS

DVS El Presidente

Is there a really good modern day mod and scenario for BTS? Warlords even? I have seen the Modern Warfare mod for Warlords, but I can't find a modern day earth scenario for it. If any of you guys can point me to anything like this, please, please do. I would kill for a really good modern day scenario or mod for BTS. The best year 2000 or later map I've been able to find so far is one for maxriga mod, which is for vanilla civ. No vassal states or anything. And it's lacking a lot of things it could have due to it's small size.

If there is a great mod like this, I'm a moron and I've missed it, and I really hope someone can help me out by pointing me to it. I know I've seen other people looking for something similar. If it doesn't exist, it would be awesome if one of you great modders (is that a word?) would do a lot of us a huge favour and make one. I think a really good mod based on the modern world would be insane. Who wouldn't line up to play this? I could play it 18 different ways. I've found and enjoyed so many great WWII, cold war, ancient, future, and other mods and scenarios, but I really think what's missing is a perfect modern day one. Or maybe there is one and I've just been to stupid to find it.

As someone mentioned in another thread, this scenario/mod could focus primarily around the Arab/Israeli conflict. Possibly with Israel, Lebanon, Iran, and Syria being playable nations, Gaza and the West Bank being a furious Israeli vassal trying to get free, Iraq and Afghanistan being occupied by the USA, and Saudi Arabia being a US vassal.

Other than that, there would be a number of interesting ways to play it. You have India and China as developing empires with populations that dwarf the current military powers (USA and Russia), with the potential to dwarf their production. The two are potential rivals for influence in south Asia, and there has been hostility between these two countries in the recent past (war in 1962). China has the potential to get into an arms race with the US, and the two are struggling against each other for influence and resources in the weak African and Latin American nations. Venezuela is gaining power in Latin America, should probably have control of Cuba (in the name of limiting civs), and has a very hostile Columbia on it's border, which should probably start as an American vassal. Brazil has the potential to develop in to a major power. The US is still the dominant financial power by a great deal, has a vast superiority in naval and air forces, and a slight nuclear advantage over Russia. However, their ground troops should be close to being stretched due to all of their deployments. China has the biggest land army, but they are older, weaker units than the US has.

If anyone is thinking about making a scenario or mod like that, please do! I would help working on it but I can't wrap my head around making these things. I do have a reasonable knowledge of history, geography, and current geopolitical affairs, so if anyone looking for advice on how to make a scenario more interesting or realistic, I could probably be of some help there, and would be happy to do so.

I think if someone is going to do this right, they may as well do it on the biggest map possible. So, let's think about how many nations you would have to make playable to make this thing close to perfect. Unfortunately offhand I'm not sure how many civs you can have. I just started playing BTS, I think it's 27 but I could be way off.

USA (controls Iraq, Afghanistan, Philippines, Diego Garcia, South Korea, Taiwan, collection of Pacific Islands; Hawaii, Marianas, Samoa, etc). Iraq and Afghanistan should include a couple fairly strong barbarian cities, so the US forces could take some hits. The barbarians could have troops throughout that US controlled region, possibly some type of special forces unit even. Damn this could be cool.

Canada
    Mexico
    China
    North Korea
    Russia
    European Union
    UK
    Eastern Europe (Non-NATO/EU countries... Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Romania, Serbia, etc)
    Israel
    Palestine (Gaza and west bank)
    Turkey
    Egypt
    Iran
    Syria (could possibly be merged into Iran, since they have a mutual defense agreement)
    Lebanon
    Saudi Arabia - (Could include the group of other American client states in the mid east. Could make this include Jordan, Yemen, UAE, Oman, Kuwait, Qutar. This group could be one civ with Saudi Arabia, or one of it's own.)
    Pakistan
    India
    Sudan (almost forgot about that one, have to have conflict going on there, maybe with and independent Chad or a weak west African union.)
    Venezuela (controls Cuba, maybe Bolivia)
    Columbia
    Brazil
    Argentina

So that's 24, 25 if you make Chad, and you have most of the major conflicts very well covered, now all you really have to figure out is how you want to cut up the rest of Africa and South East Asia. Obviously this depends on how many civs you want to include. I wish I knew the max, something is telling me 27, which doesn't leave much. It would be sweet to have at least an independent Vietnam, Myanmar, and Thailand, along with the ASEAN controlling Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, etc. In Africa, you'd probably have to make a pretty good sized African union since civs are limited. It would be nice to have at least an independent South Africa and Nigeria, in addition to Sudan and Chad, which should start at war. Obviously Egypt is there too and could probably cover a little more ground than they really have. You could make countries like Eritrea and Somalia into strong barbarian states.

There are a few nations I listed above that you could merge if you had to, to make SEA and Africa better. Maybe Syria into Iran. Mexico into the USA. UK into EU. Argentina could be merged with Venezuela. All of these would take away from realism but could be done if needed.

Here's a good resource for anyone wanting to make a modern civ like this, it's a list of the world's current militaries by troop size.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_active_troops

Personally I think it would be the craziest mod of all time if someone made a really good scenario like this for the modern world. If you were making custom units, you could make things like Israeli special forces, Hamas and Al Queda suicide bombers, the janjaweed in Sudan, Zapatista barbarians in Mexico, FARC rebels, etc. The possibilities are endless. I've seen great aspects of modern warfare, especially all those units from the mod by that name, but as far as I know there isn't one scenario out there like this. There have been so many unbelievable mods made, I can't believe there hasn't been an accurate modern day earth scenario. Maybe I just haven't been able to find it. If you know of one that exists, please tell me! If not, please help build it.

Honestly if anyone is willing to put in the work to make this thing, I would figure out exactly how many of each unit to give each country, based on their real army, naval, and air forces, and help in any other way I can. I wish I could figure out how to make these things well myself. The work you folks do here amazes me.

Earth 2008, who's going to make the definitive version?

2. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

As mentioned elsewhere, Poland, Romania and the Baltic States are EU /NATO members.

And no, you're not a moron: a 2008 scenario is a good idea!;)

3. Soduka

Soduka Warlord

You can have as many Civ's as you want, it just depends how well you want the game to run. For example when I'm in a mood for an epic battle, I prefer 32-34 Civs using a Modified .dll file. And yes, a 2008 scenario would be great. Several have existed for modern day, but they either aren't updated anymore, aren't that good, or were lost in the Hacking.

4. DVS

DVS El Presidente

I don't know what I was thinking saying Poland, Latvia, and Romania, those are part of NATO, but I still say there should be some independent Eastern Europe, including Ukraine, Serbia, Belarus, etc. Something for Russia and the west to struggle over, as they are in real life right now. Hard to know what to do with the NATO countries that aren't EU.

I'm glad you agree! I hope someone makes it.

5. Powerwise

Powerwise Chieftain

I think that Belarus is essentially going to become part of the Russian Federation before long.

6. Beginner

Beginner Chieftain

So where are you gonna put Norway and Iceland? You'd better not put us in the EU! :p

But I love the idea, if somebody could pull a map like this off it would be awesome.

7. DVS

DVS El Presidente

Oh, we can, and will pull it off. ;-)

Wouldn't think of putting Norway and Iceland in the EU. We're going to have a NATO civ for countries in NATO but not the EU, with the exception of the USA and Canada, which will be civs of their own.

Glad to hear you're looking forward to this mod. Check out the thread and give your input.

8. ianinsane

ianinsane Prince

I had something like that in mind, too about a year ago with a lot of ideas. I had no time to develop it myself but I posted my ideas on here. I think it was so complex that nobody had the guts to start it ;-)
    Here is the thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=211367

Have a look at it and tell me what you think about it. I guess we're looking for the same thing. But I guess your approach is more reasonable: Starting with a 2008 world map and put all important civs on it...