BTS more difficult or easier?

Donderwolkje01

Chieftain
Before BTS i would my lvl of play was on Noble. I could stay ahead, barely, had glorious wars. and winning a game was a chalenge but i could win.

On BTS on Noble (not the aggressive AI), everyone out-techs me, they landgrab before me often leaving me without the recources to build the units to defend myself and then they start ganging up on me. and I have no chance of survival. I am smaller thene everyone else, have no techs to bribe neighbours with, have an obsolete army that just serves for protecting my cities.

So i dropped to warlord. It's no fun. the game cheats in my favor and i don't like that feeling. and winning isn't fun.

why is Noble more difficult? what can i do to make it easier? I do try to avoid the ICS, to landgrab to much, try to match my religion to my neighbours, try to specialize my cities, try to beeline for the strategical techs.

In my last Noble game i tried an advanced start. i shared a continent with the vikings and dutch. well the dutch were blocked by a mountain. everyone had 5-8 cities. i had 5. so i quickly build an army and take over the vikings. Once that worked i had an empire twice the size but i still was 2/3 down the ranking. so sitting bull declares war, he comes with 8 frigates and 4 galleons and drops next to a city, by the time i get there with my armies he had already taken the city and i need to fight to get it back. that happens a few times, the agustus does the same and ramses as well. popping SoD on opposite sides of my continent, and i never have enough time to get there to defend so i lose the cities and need to take them back. meanwhile i'm beelining to get frigates as well and airships to see where these stacks are coming from to move my troops faster to the correct location. by the time i build my 10th frigate Sitting Bull is already there with destroyers. I was still researching railroads. (to be able to defend and move troops to where needed).

should i try to play aggresive Ai (so they spend "even" more on troops) and neglect science a bit? That's seems my problem. i can't tech as fast as they do.

sorry for this rant

I play Noble too. Keeping up with them in tech is easy. Troops is so much harder.

It also depends on which leader you're playing as.

i always take a different leader. i playing Bismarck now a few times in a row to get to know him. But what would you consider a easier leader for a builder kind of play. (not really warmongering)

i always take a different leader. i playing Bismarck now a few times in a row to get to know him. But what would you consider a easier leader for a builder kind of play. (not really warmongering)

Elizabeth? Hatshepsut? Pericles? Mansa Musa? Think traits like financial, philosophical and creative and spiritual if you're a builder I guess.

If you're playing a different leader every time, that could be why. You just might need time to adjust to the new leader's playing style.

Obviously you can't play every leader the same and it's hard to adjust to different leaders especially if you've never played them before.

ok, thanks. i'll pick one and try to stick with one. i usually play each game with a different leader just to try them all out

ok i just played a quick and fun game with elisabeth. I lost. I totally ignored someone building the AP of a religion i didn't even have. he must had some really good friends because the game was won by AP victory.

I'm playing Elisabeth again, share a continent with Ragnar and Darius and i found the only religion of our continent "confucianism" i build the AP but don't want to win that way. although i might since Darius is my best friend.

when i sailed to the other continent i noticed that i was doing worse the expected. justinian and ghandi are way ahead of me (by a few 100 points each). Ragnar declares war. timing couldn't have been better. his beserker are hard but i had the swordsman quest. so my maceman with lots of trebs are winning. darius is on my side. but not much happening there.

I vassalized ragnar with just 1 city left, just to see what it does. Now all of my cities every few turn want to join him. And not only the captured ones, my orginal cities as well. wierd.

now it's 1834 AD and i just took the lead score wise. yihaa. maybe i'll win.

Before BTS i would my lvl of play was on Noble. I could stay ahead, barely, had glorious wars. and winning a game was a chalenge but i could win.

On BTS on Noble (not the aggressive AI), everyone out-techs me, they landgrab before me often leaving me without the recources to build the units to defend myself and then they start ganging up on me. and I have no chance of survival. I am smaller thene everyone else, have no techs to bribe neighbours with, have an obsolete army that just serves for protecting my cities.

So i dropped to warlord. It's no fun. the game cheats in my favor and i don't like that feeling. and winning isn't fun.

why is Noble more difficult? what can i do to make it easier? I do try to avoid the ICS, to landgrab to much, try to match my religion to my neighbours, try to specialize my cities, try to beeline for the strategical techs.

In my last Noble game i tried an advanced start. i shared a continent with the vikings and dutch. well the dutch were blocked by a mountain. everyone had 5-8 cities. i had 5. so i quickly build an army and take over the vikings. Once that worked i had an empire twice the size but i still was 2/3 down the ranking. so sitting bull declares war, he comes with 8 frigates and 4 galleons and drops next to a city, by the time i get there with my armies he had already taken the city and i need to fight to get it back. that happens a few times, the agustus does the same and ramses as well. popping SoD on opposite sides of my continent, and i never have enough time to get there to defend so i lose the cities and need to take them back. meanwhile i'm beelining to get frigates as well and airships to see where these stacks are coming from to move my troops faster to the correct location. by the time i build my 10th frigate Sitting Bull is already there with destroyers. I was still researching railroads. (to be able to defend and move troops to where needed).

should i try to play aggresive Ai (so they spend "even" more on troops) and neglect science a bit? That's seems my problem. i can't tech as fast as they do.

sorry for this rant

What game speed are you playing at?

Bast had some good trait suggestions. Another leader I'd suggest is Willem - if you're a builder, he's your man. Good naval UU too to keep those pestering barbs away :)

i can relate to what the op is saying and i play the hell out of this game.

Noble and Prince levels are comperable whereas the leap between Warlord and Noble is huge.

I personally play at a level that i lose most games and once in a while pull out a win. On Warlords it was Prince and on BTS it is Prince OR Noble.

Maybe the new game mechanics addressed issues of balance but things like the transition between some levels is a bit skewed.

Course i try all kinds of strategies and handicap myself at times with things like religion founding (really like that new Shadawown (sp) thing that gives you religeous civics- a great addition that now lets me skip even aiming for a specific religion and just taking Free Religion- lots of little perks with BTS that make this a great expansion):scan:

I play noble. I've been finding that if I have financial/organized, found a religion...is pretty easy. Much easier than warlords. I've been really struggling to win with the other character traits.

I played Prince in Warlords and Emperor in BTS... maybe I've just gotten better.

That is what I did too. Oddly enough, I couldn't beat prince on Vanilla. I got Warlords and absolutely dominated the first Prince game I played. Could win here and there on Monarch after awhile.

Got BTS and absolutely dominated first Monarch game and started winning on Emperor.

On lower difficulties BtS is harder, on higher ones warlords is harder. This is because the boosts given to the AIs on harder difficulties were reduced. This really gets noticeable at Monarch and above; in Warlords monarch AIs got a free starting worker, in BtS they don't.

It's pretty easy to explain IMO. It's overall easier, but if one is trying to wage war all the time, it's harder.

BtS seems much more suited to teching and building as opposed to warring.

Below about Monarch level, BtS is somewhat harder. At the higher levels it is much easier, as the AI tech pace is dire, and some of its bonuses were removed.

It's pretty easy to explain IMO. It's overall easier, but if one is trying to wage war all the time, it's harder.

Correction: if one is trying to wage war badly, it's harder. On Warlords you could just build one huge stack and go into business. At least in BtS the AI tries to send its counter attacking stacks at your weak points.

I don't think professional warmongers have any great trouble against the BtS AI either.

Top Bottom