[BTS] News: BOTM67 - Starts 15 June

I encouraged Deckhand to name all 13 of the leaders Ghandi of India, and even edit them to be the same color, and give them each a couple modern armor units just to ensure the peace, and to trick everyone by telling them Humbaba is locked away... and just "forget" to mention that his evil twin is just outside the visible start.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how good a pupil he is.:mischief:

:lol:
But as Xcalibrator said.. I've just noticed the options too.. NO VASSALS? vassals is my fave biatches.. I keep em alive with half a city just for the happy bonus.. And because its a Civ thats guaranteed to like me. (eventually) couple that with no city raising.. OOh thats so evil and twisted its almost perverse..:goodjob:

OOh.. I know this is massively off topic (please forgive me it wont detract from your Civ fanaticism)
but I recently found this absolute gem of a game. Its completely free to play..
http://orbitersimulator.com/orbiter-2010-downloads/

If you ever wanted to be an astronaut as a kid (who didn't? You? go away then you non geek!;))
It's horrendously complicated.. but if you love Civ your obviously a bit of a genius..AHEM.. (well apart from me) It's a full on Newtonian/Einsteinian physics space flight sim. Written by a Phd physicist from UCL over the last 10 years as a hobby.. (with the help of a guy from N.A.S.A's JPL lab!) Once you make it into orbit.. (easy if your a flight simmer) you are greeted with landsat/blue marble images of the earth and hubble/fermi/WMAP/Planck/ choose your favourite telescope image of the universe. Stunningly pretty. After my first 12 hour marathon manual reading and practice session I managed a stable orbit and re- entry, landing somewhere in the Atlantic..Oh well.. After my second 12 hour marathon I could confidently use the sentence "prograde antinormal, burn at perigee" and know what I was talking about.. I actually managed to crash into the International space station. I am duly proud. On my next session (starting soon but finishing before launch of BOTM) I intend to dock with MIR and push it out of orbit so that it crashes into Westminster. The download and add on process is a pig..But I've done it so am happy to guide you through whats good/bad and the downoad/install process if you PM me. They ask for donations to cover server costs (very gently.. almost hidden!) but if you try it and don't WANT to donate I'll be surprised. Once again sorry for being off topic but thought many of you would like this.

Wow, I'd always assumed Humbaba was a name of kcd_swede's creation. Your post just inspired me to look 'him' up on Wikipedia[1].

I bet whoever wrote the Epic of Gilgamesh and thought up the story of Humbaba never realized the profound affect his creation would have on a computer game competition in a faraway land thousands of years in the future!

Pretty certain they would have been glad the story lived on though.. :)

Nobody seems to have mentioned some of the other special attributes of this game: No City Razing, No City Flipping from Culture, No Tech Brokering, No Vassal States.

And nobody is tempted by that lovely plains hill across the little lake? Where's your wanderlust?

Options are indeed a bit crazy. No tech brokering means we can safely sell anything to anybody and know it won't be sold around.

... and I am not tempted by the PH on the other side of the lake, as that would mean leaving the forested PH with its 8 riverside grassland & 2 riverside grass hills.

I was one of the original people who got conquered on t6 last time, so my warrior might be a little more cautious this time. :)

Ps.. I just tried looking up KCD_swede on Wiki too.. I get it now. You earned your P.H.D!

Apparently the folks at Wiki thought so too and deleted my entry, probably as a national security "request" by the NSA.:mischief:

:lol:
But as Xcalibrator said.. I've just noticed the options too.. NO VASSALS? vassals is my fave biatches.. I keep em alive with half a city just for the happy bonus.. And because its a Civ thats guaranteed to like me. (eventually) couple that with no city raising.. OOh thats so evil and twisted its almost perverse..:goodjob:
:devil:

I'm usually afraid of the yearning unhappiness, so I take all the cities and don't vassalize. I forget about the happy for having vassals.

Options are indeed a bit crazy. No tech brokering means we can safely sell anything to anybody and know it won't be sold around.

... and I am not tempted by the PH on the other side of the lake, as that would mean leaving the forested PH with its 8 riverside grassland & 2 riverside grass hills.

I was one of the original people who got conquered on t6 last time, so my warrior might be a little more cautious this time. :)
Hey, as you said in your game thread: no barbarians means no barbarians.
Humbaba is safely locked away, you are isolated from other civs at start. You can leave your capital unattended.
Unless I really screwed up, this is my first game after all.

Apparently the folks at Wiki thought so too and deleted my entry, probably as a national security "request" by the NSA. :mischief:
Well, what did it say? Save us the time of continually futilely looking you up in Wiki.

Originally Posted by kcd_swede
Apparently the folks at Wiki thought so too and deleted my entry, probably as a national security "request" by the NSA.
Well, what did it say? Save us the time of continually futilely looking you up in Wiki.

I could tell you... but then I'd have to :sniper: you. :lol:

Hey, as you said in your game thread: no barbarians means no barbarians.
Humbaba is safely locked away, you are isolated from other civs at start. You can leave your capital unattended.
Unless I really screwed up, this is my first game after all.

Very true :D

The No Barbs option got lost in all the other options. ;)

So my thought is to try settling SE, based on that gives the maximum chance of picking up an extra hidden food while keeping the pigs.

How do you define 'keeping the pigs'? In my book, you lose the pigs with SE and SIP.

My bad, I was looking at the warrior

I just downloaded the save (in case I find time to start it later while I am not connected to the internet; tho I probably will have no chance to play in the next 4 or 5 days.)

Anyway, as I was downloading the contender file, I noticed that on the doanload page, the adventurer file text still promisses the 3 great artist from last time.

I just downloaded the save (in case I find time to start it later while I am not connected to the internet; tho I probably will have no chance to play in the next 4 or 5 days.)

Anyway, as I was downloading the contender file, I noticed that on the doanload page, the adventurer file text still promisses the 3 great artist from last time.

That is surely the intentional flaw to honor the fact that only the gods are perfect (and Gilgamesh is only 2/3 divine).

Either that or a cut/paste error.

If there's only one such error, deckhand has already surpassed his mentor.;)

snip...

I wonder how many people will be disappointed when they open the adventurer save and don't have their artists? :mischief:

... Anyway, as I was downloading the contender file, I noticed that on the doanload page, the adventurer file text still promisses the 3 great artist from last time.
Good catch Jastrow, thanks for pointing this out.

That is surely the intentional flaw to honor the fact that only the gods are perfect (and Gilgamesh is only 2/3 divine).

Either that or a cut/paste error.

If there's only one such error, deckhand has already surpassed his mentor.;)
Definitely my error. It was in the original I sent to Alan. And not my only error. I will leave it to others to point them out. :)

[1] That is, look up 'Humbaba', I haven't tried looking up 'kcd_swede' on Wikipedia ;)
I have now tried to look up kcd_swede on wikipedia.
But you didn't tell us the results! no page of that name (now), but the content search reveals a list of airport radio codes in the USA:
KRRT – Warroad International Airport (Swede Carlson Field) – Warroad, Minnesota
All I know about Minnesota comes from Prairie Home Companion, so I'm surprised to find a Swede there instead of a Norwegian.:crazyeye:

Somehow I find the notion of an international airport in upstate Minnesota kind of odd -- though I suppose it's possible, given how close it is to the Canadian border.

But you didn't tell us the results! no page of that name (now), but the content search reveals a list of airport radio codes in the USA:

It did not find any interesting pages either. I wrote that a few posts down.

Hmmm... you guys definitely have too much time on your hands.:lol:

Time is the only thing I am lacking that is why I choose to spend it here.

Top Bottom