BtS Next War strategies: Walking tanks etc.

Do Next War related strategy threads belong in the Strategy&Tips forum

• Yes! I intend to play with it as my default mod!

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • No, perhaps the odd question, but this forum is for regular strategies

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No! Keep them out!

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Doesn't matter much to me

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

frob2900

Deity
I'm guessing that a large number of BtS strategy discussions will crop up over the next few weeks. I was therefore curious:

What are people's opinions on the discussion of strategies relating to the Next War mod in the Strategies and Tips section?

(For those unfamiliar with it, it is an officially included BtS mod which allows one to play the standard epic game with extra added futuristic technologies at the end of the tech tree. It is therefore different from a scenario in that before the future tech age it should be identical to the standard BtS game)

I can not believe that you would mar the purity of my Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Strategy & Tips Forum with the mention of ... a mod.

I miss an option in that poll:

f) Polls suck a**e!

That being said I'd probably start a NW save with space victory in mind. I'd be a waste not to try it out.

Definitely. It's like discussing Better AI. It's only a little different. It's not like we'd be discussing strategy for Fall of Heaven or anything like that. I'll definitely try it, especially on an advanced start.

Actually, iof there's that much of a backlash, then maybe a subforum for strategy and tips for mods?

Actually, iof there's that much of a backlash, then maybe a subforum for strategy and tips for mods?

Judging from some of the opinions in the BtS forum, I'm not surprised some people don't like the idea. Still, 40% seems to agree it's alright (but the sample size is much too small).. If 40% holds then that's just about as good as a consensus you could ever hope for in Strategy&Tips :lol:

Myself, I think that an extended tech tree is actually a very good bonus to the game, in principle. However, it remains to be seen how good the Next War package actually is, there has been some discussion about flawed soundtrack etc. that might require XML fixes.

Nevertheless, any official mod that allows this is looking quite good from the onset, so I've not made up my mind yet :mischief:

[EDIT] Yes, I do agree with Gnarfflinger that in general mods might be better suited for a sub-forum, but the point here is that Next War is pretty much just an extended tech tree, so very, very often the game will not play out as a mod at all. However, for games that do drag out till the late 20th century and beyond, the extra techs make teching attractive even though you might have all the space race techs already.

I'm optimistic that the scenarios and mods will be deep enough to warrant strategy threads.

I know the poll is about the extended epic game so to speak, but I will be happy if there are strat threads about many of the mods/scenarios.

As long as it's strategy, it can be here IMO. Until there is sub forum that is.

Put me in the camp that prefers not to have the game speculate on possible future weapons and sciences. However, it's an official part of the game, so there's no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to discuss an official component in the forums.

Top Bottom