BTS on Speed (up to 50% faster)

Sephi

Deity
This mod makes BTS up to 50% faster. No gameplay changes. I did an autoplay game (autoplay means you let the AI play all turns and only count the time with a clock) with the following results.

uploaded version 2.0 at 24 october 2010

Spoiler documentation for modders :

You find all changes if you search for "Sephi"
You find all changes related to CAR mod if you search for "CAR MOD" (so if you have already CAR mod or BTS Better AI you shouldn't need this)
You find all changes that block python callbacks if you search for "Block Python"
You can allow modmodders to reenable python callbacks you block. see comment in CvCity::canCreate for details.
Make sure if you block a python callback that your mod isn't actually using it. This can be a bit tricky if you have a lot of mods merged into your mod that have a lot of python code (like BUG for example).

I compared speed with using a huge pangea map with default player numbers and all other options default.

Turn 1-200
BTS on Speed: 6:08 minutes
BTS: 8:17 minutes (+35,1%)

Turn 201-300
BTS on Speed: 10:42 minutes
BTS: 16:11 minutes (+51,1%)

In other words, your total waiting time in BTS in the first 200 turns is about the same as in BTS on SPEED for the first 300 turns.

Obviously this mod is optimized for my system :p so I can't guarantee that it will run as fast on your system or that it will speed up the game that much on every map/setting, but unless you are already playing CIV5 it might be worth to give it a try ;)

This mod is save game compatible.

Credits:
- Sephi (most of the speed tweaks)
- Stmartin (caching of dangervalues - CAR mod)
- Kael and Afforess (idea for python callback blocks)

Mods currently using BTS on SPEED:
- Wildmana

There are more ways to speed up the game but I only included the speed tweaks from Wildmana that people would be willing merge. I will upload the Source in a few weeks once I can be sure that no further changes to the speed tweaks need to be done.

How to install:
1.) download the mod here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15411&act=down
2.) unzip the file using Winzip or similar programm.
3.) use the install programm.

May the SPEED be with you.

Well, not really interested in playing BTS, but I'm using CAR mod and disabled python callbacks as well, and I'm very much looking forward to grabbing the sources of those extra speed tweaks that you did :goodjob:

Law of Modding: if somebody says they're gonna release something in the future, it means in 90% of the cases it's never gonna happen.

that's definetly a Law of Modding.

Though I doubt it happens here. The source is already well documented and zipping+uploading should take about 10minutes. I will wait 2 or 3 more weeks now to see if any bugs are reported. Since I guess that this mod or parts of it will be merged into lots of other mods it saves everyones time if the sources are as bugfree as possible.

Mods currently using BTS on SPEED:
- Wildmana
Great news! But I have one question.
Does this mean it is already merged into WildMana, or is there something to do to activate it?
And do you mean WM 8.xx or the beta 9.xx version? I still play the former...

I just installed this mod following the directions above. I do not know about the speed improvement just yet, but all my units were automatically promoted to maximum level. Can somebody tell me what's going on plz? Thanks..

I will wait 2 or 3 more weeks now to see if any bugs are reported.

The mod has only been downloaded 170 times. It seems there is little interest in playing this mod by itself. As a consequence bugs are unlikely to be reported no matter how long you wait. To get bug reports, a larger playerbase should be reached which can be achieved by releasing the code so it gets merged in other mods.

Will it help if I say 'please'? :mischief:

The mod has only been downloaded 170 times. It seems there is little interest in playing this mod by itself. As a consequence bugs are unlikely to be reported no matter how long you wait. To get bug reports, a larger playerbase should be reached which can be achieved by releasing the code so it gets merged in other mods.

Will it help if I say 'please'? :mischief:
Use this one::worship:

that's definetly a Law of Modding.

Though I doubt it happens here. The source is already well documented and zipping+uploading should take about 10minutes. I will wait 2 or 3 more weeks now to see if any bugs are reported. Since I guess that this mod or parts of it will be merged into lots of other mods it saves everyones time if the sources are as bugfree as possible.

Bugs only will get found with more eyes on your code. Nobody plays Civ4 unmodded anymore anyway.

Bugs only will get found with more eyes on your code. Nobody plays Civ4 unmodded anymore anyway.

Because they play BtS unmodded?

Top Bottom