BtS on Steam for HOF?

bluejay

Warlord
  • I installed BtS on Steam. The line in my library includes (original_release_unsupported) from a previous attempt.
  • I installed the mod "BUFFY-3.19.005" as instructed.
  • My CivilizationIV.ini file in ...My Games\Beyond the Sword has the line Mod = Mods\BUFFY-3.19.005 in it.
  • I clicked on a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" and get a pop-up that the HOF mod will not be able to save settings.
  • This happens if I just click on the shortcut or if I do a right click and run as administrator.
  • If I continue normally, I see that the Buffy mod is indeed loaded, but get a pop-up that the game is not good for HOF.
  • (PC, Windows 10)
  • What else should I be doing? (I'm trying to get to Civ4 after many years of Civ3, ending 10 years ago.)

• I installed BtS on Steam. The line in my library includes (original_release_unsupported) from a previous attempt.
  • I installed the mod "BUFFY-3.19.005" as instructed.
  • My CivilizationIV.ini file in ...My Games\Beyond the Sword has the line Mod = Mods\BUFFY-3.19.005 in it.
  • I clicked on a shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" and get a pop-up that the HOF mod will not be able to save settings.
  • This happens if I just click on the shortcut or if I do a right click and run as administrator.
  • If I continue normally, I see that the Buffy mod is indeed loaded, but get a pop-up that the game is not good for HOF.
  • (PC, Windows 10)
  • What else should I be doing? (I'm trying to get to Civ4 after many years of Civ3, ending 10 years ago.)
Have you performed Steps 1 and 2 here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Personally, I don't like designating a mod in my INI like that, cause I run other things. If you plan to only use BUFFY to play the game though, that is fine.

Another option is just create a shortcut from the base .exe and add to the end of the target line of the shortcut..after a space:

mod="BUFFY-3.19.005"

(Note: For some reason - and I use steam version too - I need to add an extra character before BUFFY in the quotes in order for it to recognize the mod. So like :

mod="BBUFFY-3.19.005") No clue if that is just me.

With the shortcut enabled, you can just it to load BUFFY when you want to use it.

Have you performed Steps 1 and 2 here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Personally, I don't like designating a mod in my INI like that, cause I run other things. If you plan to only use BUFFY to play the game though, that is fine.

Another option is just create a shortcut from the base .exe and add to the end of the target line of the shortcut..after a space:

mod="BUFFY-3.19.005"

(Note: For some reason - and I use steam version too - I need to add an extra character before BUFFY in the quotes in order for it to recognize the mod. So like :

mod="BBUFFY-3.19.005") No clue if that is just me.

With the shortcut enabled, you can just it to load BUFFY when you want to use it.

Thanks for the reply.
I hadn't done Steps 1 and 2 because I don't have Vista or Windows 7. So I did them. I tried step 3, but it didn't work right.
I tried with Buffy specified in the INI file, and with the line in the shortcut .exe (I did need the extra character, as you did.) Same results both ways.
Now when I click on the shortcut, it says that Buffy is being loaded. After making a custom game, it says no good for HOF, and I get the error message to look in the Settings tab of the Victory screen. There it says that Buffy has to be installed in a certain place (C:\...), which is exactly where I have Buffy installed.

Other suggestions?

But your past the unable to save settings error. Steps 1 and 2 really need to always be done regardless....its the other steps that were more OS specific and can be ignored.

I assumed you would simply get the invalid for HOF message which is technically not an error message. Rather you can play but games won’t be accepted to the HOF.

The issue is probably assets since Steam jacked them up even with the original release bet version. BUFFY does an asset check. I replaced 3 or 4 assets a few years ago from a non-steam version, after identifying the problem files. Like an idiot I did not document this effort for posterity and it pops up now and then.

I’d like to get to the bottom of it but may take some effort

But first can you please post a screenshot of the message you see. Also, please let me know the file size of the DLL in the bts/bts/assets folder.

CivGamesCoreDll.dll is 4834 kb (4,949,304 bytes). I'll figure out how to do a screen shot within bts after dinner. My usual screenshot program uses Ctrl-F11, but that isn't working.

Yeah. Those hotkeys get jumbled with steam hotkeys (which can be changed). You can just use normal prtscrn on keyboard

Last edited:
Screen shot of message.
upload_2020-9-7_19-6-27.png

there are 2 bts folders. buffy must be installed in the mods folder of the lower level bts folder

That's where it's installed.
I don't see it

hmm..maybe it is just that the full folder is not displayed.

If BUFFY is installed in that folder, I'm curious if maybe you had initially installed it somewhere else.

Please humor me and check 2 locations:

documents>my games>beyond the sword>mods

the higher level bts folder>mods

(Note: I have not seen the message before that you are getting here)

Last edited:
I don't see it

hmm..maybe it is just that the full folder is not displayed.

If BUFFY is installed in that folder, I'm curious if maybe you had initially installed it somewhere else.

Please humor me and check 2 locations:

documents>my games>beyond the sword>mods

the higher level bts folder>mods

(Note: I have not seen the message before that you are getting here)

BUFFY wasn't in the higher level bts folder, but there was a version in documents>my games>beyond the sword>mods. When I renamed that folder and restarted, no error messages!

That seems to solve the problem. Now I'll have to try an easy game to submit to make sure.

Many thanks for your help.

Yay!

I assume you meant rename the buffy folder. Ofc, you can just delete it

There is also this Start file thing, though I don't know if it would pick up other potential problems with the games than explicit settings (opponents etc).

Any ideas if the Settings screen shows no errors but you still get "this won't count for HoF" on startup? Also using the steam version, rip the original CD.

No biggie, cuz only one record holds any appeal to me, but I mean this mod hasn't worked for me on three different computers spanning a decade now.

Top Bottom